Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Doctor Q
Administrator

Keynote mistakes

I like to watch the keynote reply and try to spot little mistakes made by the speakers. None of the minor goofs are of any consequence, so it's "proofreading", not criticism. I certainly couldn't speak live like that without quite a few errors!

When I've commented on mistakes I spotted in previous keynotes, I've sometimes turned out to be wrong about some of them, so I'm curious if anybody else can confirm these, or has already commented on them in one of the threads earlier this week.

My favorite goof was the presentation of the iPhone price, which showed that it combined the features of a $199 iPod and a $299 mobile phone, making it worth at least $499. Now I'm usually pretty good with arithmetic, so I'm surprised that I get $498 when I add those two numbers, but Apple gets $499.

I also noticed that Steve checked the weather in several cities, including Hawaii. The last time I was there, it was a state. Did it get demoted, like Pluto?

I think it was a mistake to have Phil Schiller, in the audience, talk on the iPhone with Steve Jobs. After all, it plays right into a joke: His name makes it obvious that he would fill the role of a shill.

Stan Sigman of Cingular wasn't very interesting to listen to, so maybe it was a mistake to have him on stage at all, but I noticed a real mistake: he claimed that Apple had online stores. I think they have only one of those.

Jerry Yang of Yahoo said that Steve called mail the killer app. But Steve actually said the killer app was making calls on the iPhone, right?

Somebody said "11 days" when he meant "11 days ago", but I lost track of who said it about what. I guess that's my mistake.

Of course, the clicker that didn't work was a flub, but presumably not Steve's falut.

What else did anybody spot?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:55 AM   #2
SkyBell
macrumors 603

The one time he called the AppleTV the iTV. Of course, he warned he might do that, but still.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:02 AM   #3
tvguru
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
Stan Sigman of Cingular wasn't very interesting to listen to, so maybe it was a mistake to have him on stage at all, but I noticed a real mistake: he claimed that Apple had online stores. I think they have only one of those.
I dunno, depends on the context I guess. There is a Canadian, Australian, American, etc. store, so that makes stores, no?
tvguru is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:14 AM   #4
EricNau

Quote:
I also noticed that Steve checked the weather in several cities, including Hawaii. The last time I was there, it was a state. Did it get demoted, like Pluto?
Actually, I believe Hawaii is a city in Guatemala.
EricNau is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Doctor Q
Administrator

I noticed one more mistake and one Steve-Quirk™.

Steve said "as 2006 rolls on" when he meant "as 2007 rolls on".

He also said that Apple TV would be shipping in "feb-you-air-ee", omitting the "R" sound. I consider that to be a mistake, but so many people pronounce February that way that it's probably accepted as an "alternative pronunciation" now. It's not as bad as "jag wire", I suppose.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:03 PM   #6
TJIrwin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
The one time he called the AppleTV the iTV. Of course, he warned he might do that, but still.
I caught two slips on the iTV front. One he didn't even notice himself.
TJIrwin is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:07 PM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
He also said that Apple TV would be shipping in "feb-you-air-ee", omitting the "R" sound. I consider that to be a mistake, but so many people pronounce February that way that it's probably accepted as an "alternative pronunciation" now. It's not as bad as "jag wire", I suppose.
Or "re-la-tor", another obviously wrong pronunciation with a huge popular following.

The first Apple rep I spoke to on the floor also called it "iTV" -- which tells you something. Exactly what, I don't know -- but something.

EDIT: Technically, Apple does have multiple online "stores" -- one for every country in which they sell online.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:10 PM   #8
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Or "re-la-tor", another obviously wrong pronunciation with a huge popular following.
As a Realtor (that's real-tor, just like it's spelled ) I hear that one all the time.

someguy is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
Stand and Eric sure made me appreciate just how good at public speaking Steve is for a CEO. I think it was Stan who made the 11 days comment too. Something about AT&T.
Queso is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:14 PM   #10
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816

There was something I caught when I watched it, but I can't remember where or what it was, and I can't bare to watch the whole thing again to find one stupid mistake... It had something to do with him mixing up calling Movies TV shows (or the other way around).
adrianblaine is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Of course, the clicker that didn't work was a flub, but presumably not Steve's falut.
Is that Falut, India?

Sorry, just couldn't help it...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:23 PM   #12
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
Is that Falut, India?

Sorry, just couldn't help it...
You could, I think you just didn't try very hard.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:25 PM   #13
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
EDIT: Technically, Apple does have multiple online "stores" -- one for every country in which they sell online.
Yeah, stick to the stats, Q.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:48 PM   #14
MajorTom
macrumors member

Didnt discuss Calander!

The biggest mistake i noticed was that he began the "Phone" section by saying he was going to talk about 4 things... Phone, Calendar, Photos and SMS Texting... but he forgot to talk about the calendar!!!!

MajorTom is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:04 PM   #15
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
The biggest mistake i noticed was that he began the "Phone" section by saying he was going to talk about 4 things... Phone, Calendar, Photos and SMS Texting... but he forgot to talk about the calendar!!!!

That's quite forgivable actually, and he probably didn't forget. One trick of public speaking is having some items you can sacrifice if time is running short. Hardly anyone notices.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:12 PM   #16
Hls811
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Hls811 Send a message via Yahoo to Hls811
The only glaring mistake I noticed was that he forgot to mention he's giving me a free iPhone and lifetime service.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Much Ado
macrumors 68000

Surely the biggest mistake went something along the lines of "Hello and welcome to Macworld..."?
Much Ado is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:35 PM   #18
clintob
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to clintob
I would like to officially congratulate this post on being named the first nominee for "Crappiest MacRumors Post Concept of 2007".

You are the current leader in the clubhouse... and if you're all lucky, you might just walk away with the MR Brown Ribbon, signifying how little we all give a ****.

Canon 30D, 70-200L IS f2.8, 17-40L f4, 50 f1.4

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jan 12, 2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: bypassing profanity filter
clintob is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:47 PM   #19
blueflame
macrumors 6502a

Whats the deal with this dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintob View Post
I would like to officially congratulate this post on being named the first nominee for "Crappiest MacRumors Post Concept of 2007".

You are the current leader in the clubhouse... and if you're all lucky, you might just walk away with the MR Brown Ribbon, signifying how little we all give a ****.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jan 12, 2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: removed image from quote
blueflame is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:49 PM   #20
clintob
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to clintob
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
Whats the deal with this dude?
Hah... I'm just playin with you guys. But you must admit, chatting about the typos and mispeaks of the Keynote Address is about as trivial as it gets, no?
Canon 30D, 70-200L IS f2.8, 17-40L f4, 50 f1.4
clintob is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:08 PM   #21
dllavaneras
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintob View Post
Hah... I'm just playin with you guys. But you must admit, chatting about the typos and mispeaks of the Keynote Address is about as trivial as it gets, no?
you might want to take a better look at the forums...
I still think that Steve is a great public speaker. I don't think I'll ever be that good at public speaking
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Hls811
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Hls811 Send a message via Yahoo to Hls811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Much Ado View Post
Surely the biggest mistake went something along the lines of "Hello and welcome to Macworld..."?
What woulda really been great, is "Hello, and welcome to the big black cloud hanging over CES"
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:10 PM   #23
After G
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to After G Send a message via Yahoo to After G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Much Ado View Post
Steve forgot to talk about the Macs!
After G is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:16 PM   #24
Doctor Q
Administrator

He also forgot to thank MacRumors for stirring up so much interest in his keynote.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:21 PM   #25
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Biggest mistake was that swastika T-shirt he wears under the turtleneck, it shows through in certain angles.
Anuba is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives