Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Yeebles
macrumors newbie

Apple why are are you so Cheeky?

I love macs they are so cool. I'm a little skeptical over the iPod. But that's a different matter. I know Apple are always using iThis and iThat. However I think it is a bit cheeky that they are using there legions of lawyers to steal Cisco's trademark. I know that it has the i before Phone but thousands of products exsist with the i before product names. It's only because Apple wants the name. Hypothetically if you made a computer screen and called it iScreen. Then if apple made a screen and wanted to use your name How would you feel if they took it from you due to their stronger legal forces? Not happy I presume. That is the same thing happening to Cisco. I do have an idea which could help Apple. If they want to hear it they can email me.

What is your opinion on Cisco and Apple's dispute?
Yeebles is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:38 AM   #2
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeebles View Post
I do have an idea which could help Apple. If they want to hear it they can email me.

I'm sure they are dying to hear your plan.

I say may the best man (company) win. To be honest, and this is just opinion, I think Cisco threw the "iPhone" out there because they knew the real iPhone was coming (as did we all) and wanted to bank on it somehow, just like I'm sure iPhone-related email addresses were swiped up recently too.

I could be wrong, but prove it.

someguy is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
SMM
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I love macs they are so cool. I'm a little skeptical over the iPod. But that's a different matter. I know Apple are always using iThis and iThat. However I think it is a bit cheeky that they are using there legions of lawyers to steal Cisco's trademark. I know that it has the i before Phone but thousands of products exsist with the i before product names. It's only because Apple wants the name. Hypothetically if you made a computer screen and called it iScreen. Then if apple made a screen and wanted to use your name How would you feel if they took it from you due to their stronger legal forces? Not happy I presume. That is the same thing happening to Cisco. I do have an idea which could help Apple. If they want to hear it they can email me.

I think it provides a whole new subject for trolling. I also think it is between Cisco and Apple.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:53 AM   #4
calculus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
iDontcare about this dispute.
calculus is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
iShak
macrumors 6502

you make a device that streams media from your mac to your tv .. and you dont call it iTV ..you call is apple tv! .. cuz callign it iTV would be too easy ..

you make a phone, and want to call it iPhone, but wait! someone already has a device called iPhone .. so what do you do? call it apple phone? naa .. saddle up your lawyers and try to bully them out ..
iShak is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Queso
macrumors 603

Cisco have owned this trademark for years. Apple were in negotiations to buy it, but for whatever reason they couldn't close the deal in time. Apple should therefore have not announced that the product was going to be called iPhone at the keynote.

Doing so before the deal was done was a big mistake. Cisco can now triple the price for the name and Apple either have to pay or look humiliated.

Apple can throw as many lawyers as they like at it now, but that name is still Cisco's property. Last time I looked, Cisco could afford a big legal team of their own. They can't be bullied here.

EDIT : Although whether the situation worldwide is quite so clear cut is debatable. Article from The Register.

Last edited by Queso; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Queso is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
Personally i think that they both should just play nice.

I mean why doesn't Apple just do what they did with the Apple TV. Throw the Apple Logo in front of it. Then Linksys should do the same.

Digg this:

Cisco lost rights to iPhone trademark last year, experts say.

Cisco claims Apple created phony company to sidestep iPhone trademark.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:12 PM   #8
calculus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShak View Post
you make a device that streams media from your mac to your tv .. and you dont call it iTV ..you call is apple tv! .. cuz callign it iTV would be too easy ..
It's because ITV is a television network
calculus is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:12 PM   #9
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I'm sure they are dying to hear your plan.

I say may the best man (company) win. To be honest, and this is just opinion, I think Cisco threw the "iPhone" out there because they knew the real iPhone was coming (as did we all) and wanted to bank on it somehow, just like I'm sure iPhone-related email addresses were swiped up recently too.

I could be wrong, but prove it.
I was thinking that, but Linksys/Cisco filed for the trademark in 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicv View Post
Cisco have owned this trademark for years. Apple were in negotiations to buy it, but for whatever reason they couldn't close the deal in time. Apple should therefore have not announced that the product was going to be called iPhone at the keynote.

Doing so before the deal was done was a big mistake. Cisco can now triple the price for the name and Apple either have to pay or look humiliated.

Apple can throw as many lawyers as they like at it now, but that name is still Cisco's property. Last time I looked, Cisco could afford a big legal team of their own. They can't be bullied here.

EDIT : Although whether the situation worldwide is quite so clear cut is debatable. Article from The Register.
Yes, it looks like there is more to it, namely expiration of the trademark without usage in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfeld28 View Post
Personally i think that they both should just play nice.

I mean why doesn't Apple just do what they did with the Apple TV. Throw the Apple Logo in front of it. Then Linksys should do the same.

Digg this:

Cisco lost rights to iPhone trademark last year, experts say.

Cisco claims Apple created phony company to sidestep iPhone trademark.
Interesting links. The iPhone is dead, long live the iPhone.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
It would be interesting to find out if Apple had some sort of trademark on the letter 'i' when used with a computer, or communication related product. That might put Cisco in its place, being that the 'i'Mac was introduced on May 6, of 1996.

I know it would be a long shot, but since the US Patent and Trademark Office's site is impossible to search, its just an idea.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:01 PM   #11
iShak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
It's because ITV is a television network
and so there also exist ..

mobitv (television network)
mobiblu (famous Mp3 Player)
iShak is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:35 PM   #12
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfeld28 View Post
That might put Cisco in its place, being that the 'i'Mac was introduced on May 6, of 1996.
Actually, it was 1998

Even then, one could argue that Apple forfeited the right to all "i-products" when it didn't sue Compaq for the iPaq....
AidenShaw is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Hadley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Actually, it was 1998

Even then, one could argue that Apple forfeited the right to all "i-products" when it didn't sue Compaq for the iPaq....
and there is no way they would be allowed to essentially copyright 1 26th of the alphabet.
Hadley is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:16 PM   #14
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
wow, how many times is this topic going to get discussed. Dont Feed the Trolls
illegalprelude is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:17 PM   #15
ericsthename
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to ericsthename
When it comes right down to it there are many ways to look at this dispute:

Apple pioneered the "i"XXXX nomenclature, and therefore it seems a little cheesy and cheap for any other company to release products with this format (imho). It's a little bit like Adidas releasing shoes with nike's "Air" name tacked on...

On the other hand, Cisco did patent the name and release a product with the name - I'm sure apple could've come up with another cool sounding name for the product (one that hasn't been tossed around rumor sites for years).

At the end of the day, it's really just a corporate debacle, one that has virtually no import to the consumer end, since the cellphone device that Apple has announced will almost certainly be released anyhow (perhaps not as the iPhone in all countries).

Cisco (seemingly) played by the rules, but at the same time their decision to utilize an apple standard naming format is bigtime unoriginal and deserves to be doomed to the depths of whatever hell exists for such corporate donkeys.
ericsthename is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:20 AM   #16
Annndy!
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Annndy!
Bottom line is, Apple's going to get the 'iPhone' name, and Cisco is going to be very well compensated for it. So who cares?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Luis
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annndy! View Post
Bottom line is, Apple's going to get the 'iPhone' name, and Cisco is going to be very well compensated for it. So who cares?
Yep, totally the truth.
the crownless again shall be King.
Luis is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives