Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I got a 30 gig iPod from my gf for Christmas. I love it, but one thing that I'm worried about is this message;

error.png

I get it every time I connect to my mac. I click ok and then I can carry on as normal (ie. copy songs etc). Should I be worried?

Also, I did a test on the battery (playing all song in order, no backlight and half volume with no equalizing) and got 12.5 hours of audio. Is this ok? Apple says 20, but I don't believe everything I read.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I found the answer

Sorry, I know – RTFM!

Solution (from apple web site)

1. Temporarily change the Time Zone setting in Mac OS X to Pacific Standard Time (PST) as shown below. This setting can be accessed from the Date & Time panel in System Preferences.
2. Open the latest version of iTunes and Restore your iPod
3. After successfully restoring your iPod, change the Time Zone back to your normal setting.

Any idea about the battery life?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Sorry, I know – RTFM!

Solution (from apple web site)

1. Temporarily change the Time Zone setting in Mac OS X to Pacific Standard Time (PST) as shown below. This setting can be accessed from the Date & Time panel in System Preferences.
2. Open the latest version of iTunes and Restore your iPod
3. After successfully restoring your iPod, change the Time Zone back to your normal setting.

Any idea about the battery life?

Has that fixed the problem with the -48 error? I tried a workaround on here, but the problem kept reappearing when I'd try to synch the next time. The thing that fixed it for me was formatting it in Windows, but the trade-off is that its slower and much less responsive.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Has that fixed the problem with the -48 error? I tried a workaround on here, but the problem kept reappearing when I'd try to synch the next time. The thing that fixed it for me was formatting it in Windows, but the trade-off is that its slower and much less responsive.

Yeah the steps above fixed it. Do you mean you've put all your itunes collection on your PC to get around this? I think it would be worth trying this solution to avoid the PC itunes way – I've heard itunes is quite clunky on a PC.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Yeah the steps above fixed it. Do you mean you've put all your itunes collection on your PC to get around this? I think it would be worth trying this solution to avoid the PC itunes way – I've heard itunes is quite clunky on a PC.

No, sorry for being vague. The fix that worked for me was to format my iPod in Windows, making it Windows formatted rather than Mac. Then I can use the iPod with my Mac, but its a bit slower than if it was Mac-formatted.

I'll give your solution a go instead I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.