Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2001
It means apple had better get their asses in gear!

I hope they make a big push to get the G5 out by MYNY 2002.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by OSUbuckeyefan

Hear hear!!

They really need to get a move on. The more they lag now, the harder it will be to catch up later.

I think real pressure needs to be put on Motorola. Its just too frustrating that we need to put the fate of a company like Apple in the hands of another company. But thats exactly what we are doing--and have to do--with Motorola.

Matthew

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Lucky

Originally posted by OSUbuckeyefan

Hey OSU, you all got lucky this year, but that won't last.

M Go Blue!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
It means NOTHING

" 4GHz P4 was demoed, using admittedly "exotic" cooling technology."

That is: A 4Ghz P4 can't work without refrigeration.

Just what PC nogs need: a processor card with a compressor to worry about.

No worries, it's just a sideshow.:rolleyes:

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
All hot air

Hey guys,

i sometimes think the processor discussion is so overated. Even if Apple would bring out now a 4GHz i would not buy it right away. I work in the design industrie and think that with the dual 1Ghz its fast enought for now. May be i should start leasing the macs for each 6 month terms.....There is no art director or graphic designer that can make me believe he would do more in a 12h shift at work if he would have a faster mac or pc. What the hell, we work on 300 dpi max. How faster can the filters be. Hehe. I think you know what i mean.

Anyway its always funny to read the discussion. Sure, i love to here that there is progress but the only pros they would be happy would be the guys they render a lot....

well, thats just my 2 cents on the never ending discussion.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
have you seen that new P4 laptop made by Toshiba? That thing only has a two hour battery, it is almost 2 inches thick, it has a floppy drive(hahahahahahahaha, vintage tech in a so-called high tech computer, hahahahahahahahaha). Even those little ugly Pentium Inside and Designed for Windows Stickers were melting off. I think that we have seen the max speed of a Windows laptop. hahahahahahahahahahahaha, a two hour battery, hahahahahahahahahahahahah. you could probably fit two superdrives on top of each other is is that fat. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha AH!!!!, left arm tingly, chest pain, can't go on describing simptoms, falling to the floor. Can't reach phone, where's that Aspirin?:D

PCUser

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2002
Motorola is the one who needs to get their asses in gear. Apple would LOVE to have a Pentium-crushing processor and RAM setup again... but until Motorola gives them the processor, AND a processor that supports DDR memory in the main bus, they will still lag.

The PC world has the advantage of mutliple chip makers vying for space, so each is always trying to out-do the other. Apple has Motorola and IBM... and IBM isn't very interested right now. So Apple has to wait until Motorola GIVES them a G5 that works with DDR. Give Apple some slack!

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
Reason why chip makers will cater to PC market

Sad to say it, but when you look at the installed user base of PC users vs. Mac users, there's just so many more PC users.

So therefore, there's generally going to be more volume so chip makers can afford to spend more rolling out a chip specifically for PC computers.

Motorola does a heck of a lot of chip making for appliances with embedded chips. Moreso than the number of PowerPC processors that they sell to Apple, i'll wager. I'm sure that Apple is a great customer for Motorola, but PowerPC chips are not the only thing they produce, and i'd be very surprised if the quantity of PowerPC chips that they sell to Apple is more than half of the total number of chips they produce.

It's about how much business Apple gives Motorola. <hypothetical> If Apple needs 3,000,000 PowerPC chips (G5s) over a two year span at $200/chip ($300 Million/year) and Motorola produces 10,000,000 embedded chips a year (that it sells for $50 - $500 Million/year), which chip will Motorola choose to focus it's business around? We won't even get into the R&D required for the new G5 chips as opposed to other chips that Motorola manufactures that probably don't cost as much in R&D and production </hypothetical>

Re: For all the whiners about G5s and saying it's do or die if they don't have it out before MWNY:

<rant>It's all about the business. I'm sure there are people out there who understand this. I'd like faster macs. I also understand that there are plenty of things i don't know about Motorola and Apple's business practices that are holding them back from delivering new, faster chips.

I'm sure Motorola wants Apple to be happy, and Apple wants you to be happy. They will get there (faster chips, G5s and beyond). I guess i just get a little sick of hearing how "apple should do this, motorola needs to get off their ass, etc". I'm sick of hearing all the backseat strategizers.

Do you people honestly believe that Motorola and Apple don't know that if they make a faster chip, people will buy it? Of course they know it. And there are reasons that preclude them from doing so right now. Stop pretending like you know something they don't and saying they are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses. They aren't. </rant>

Business, especially at an enterprise level, is *much* more complex than most people (including myself) realize. Give Apple (and Motorola) a break. They both have done a pretty damn good job of keeping pace and weathering a tough economic downturn.

<to self> settle down, let's get some work done </to self>

peace out

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Buckeye Mac Users Rule

F*** Michigan!

Er... and oh yeah... Apple better get it's a** in gear with the G5. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.