Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
dylanemcgregor
macrumors member

Turn Macbook monitor off with lid open?

Hi all,

I'm trying to rig up a system for work that will allow me to remotely monitor an industrial job site for a few hours each day and control some equipment. I've got the ability setup to remotely control the equipment, but I need a dedicated camera on an engine tach and pump presser gauge. My original plan for a remote camera is not working and time is running short, so I thought I could end up using the new MB I got recently with the integrated webcam, and VNC into the computer. I tried it out today and it seemed to work well except for two things, both related to the display being on.

1) There is no power available so maximizing battery life is a must

2) I was getting a bit of a glare off the gauges from the screen that made viewing a bit difficult.

I think both would be solved if I could run the MB with the screen off, but I don't know if this is possible.

Any thoughts?
dylanemcgregor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:02 PM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

Turn the brightness all the way down...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
dylanemcgregor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
Turn the brightness all the way down...
Wow, that's pretty simple. I've been looking in all sorts of places for something complicated and it never even occurred to me to turn the brightness down.

Thanks!
dylanemcgregor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:01 AM   #4
therealmuffin
macrumors newbie

Turn diplay off by sliding pointer to bottom right cornor

I recently bought a macbook pro with osx 10.5 installed on it. There I found that when I bring my pointer to the bottom right corner and let it slide a bit through my display is turned off. In this instance, my dock is on the left and the menu bar is on top.

This has the advantage over turning brightness all the way down that it is much faster and you actually turn off your display instead of having it at unreadable brightness (your display is actually still on when dimming brightness)

I have no clue if it is enabled by default or if you have already found this out, but well.

Last edited by therealmuffin; Jun 16, 2008 at 05:17 AM.
therealmuffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:02 PM   #5
bestthereis27
macrumors member

check expose and spaces in the system preferences. There are options in there to turn off display.
bestthereis27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
dawg78s
macrumors newbie

Shift-Control-Eject (the keyboard key at top right) will turn off your screen
dawg78s is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
kingicon1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg78s View Post
Shift-Control-Eject (the keyboard key at top right) will turn off your screen
See now thats thats the trick I've always used, but with the new MacBook Air(maybe the older ones were like this too.. I don't know) they replaced the Eject key with the Power Button.

Just tried a few things now like Shift-Control-Power or fn-Power doesn't do it.
kingicon1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmuffin View Post
I recently bought a macbook pro with osx 10.5 installed on it. There I found that when I bring my pointer to the bottom right corner and let it slide a bit through my display is turned off. In this instance, my dock is on the left and the menu bar is on top.

This has the advantage over turning brightness all the way down that it is much faster and you actually turn off your display instead of having it at unreadable brightness (your display is actually still on when dimming brightness)

I have no clue if it is enabled by default or if you have already found this out, but well.
Something like this is what I do too. Can decide what it is by going to to System Preferences>Desktop & Screensaver>Screensaver>Hot Corners and then assign "Put Display to Sleep" to one of the corners. The move the mouse around a bit again, and it wakes back up.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
danfrist
macrumors newbie

This worked for me. Make the display handling in Lion work like Snow Leopard

Run this command in your terminal.

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

To revert:

sudo nvram -d boot-args
danfrist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X