Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtronlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hello. I recently purchased a rode NT1-A condenser microphone and am trying to decide on a mixer/pre-amp to buy. I've done a little bit of research online and so far found that some say behringer pre-amps are good, some say bad. So i wanted to ask you guys for help. I'm looking to spend around $100-$200. What kinds of pre-amps do you guys have? Any suggestions? Please help. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
"Best" and "$100-$200" don't go in the same sentence, I'm afraid.

I don't have one (yet) but I would be tempted to go for the Really Nice Preamp (RNP) -- however they seem to be about $475 each (they are two channel thoughm so that's $237 per side...) Other forum members have written about chooing higher end pres (do a search)

How about an M-Audio DMP3? Should be around $200 street - I would choose M-Audio as a brand over Behringer.

Here's a Craig Anderton article for thinking on

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/reviews/preampmyths/

xtronlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I came across the M-Audio DMP3 the other day. Most users have said that thing is pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'll second the RNP. i have one and it's quite excellent -- underpriced, even.

i have a rode nt-1 (not very fond of it) and the best preamp i have that makes it tolerable is the phoenix drs-1 -- it tames some of those icky, fizzy highs the rodes seem to be imbued with.

CW is that you have to spend $1000/channel to get into the "good" preamp range, but i'll say that the RNP is an exception to that rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.