Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Certain websites (including nbc.com and wired) are showing a new Get A Mac ad. The ad involves the PC getting an "add on" upgrade of a webcam from an IT guy, and gets dismayed when he learns that Mac already has built-in iSight webcams.

GetAMaciSight.png

As of this writing, the ad has yet to be revealed on Apple's site.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Isight blue picture

This might be a bit of toppic, but when i use my macbook's build in isight on some webcam/chat site's, the picture is blue, when i use my external isight it is not, does anybody know what that is about , and if this also is the case with the imac's build-in isight's, or that it is an portable issue, or maybe even a java one ?

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I got another video on the wired site though. The pc dressed up like he has to go into surgery because he has to be upgraded... Perhaps there are more commercials than just the iSight one? (which I have not yet seen)

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I got another video on the wired site though. The pc dressed up like he has to go into surgery because he has to be upgraded... Perhaps there are more commercials than just the iSight one? (which I have not yet seen)

That was shown/then released during Macworld Expo.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I certainly hope for a new isight. I suddenly wanted one and then slept on it for a while and BOOM! They're gone and being sold for twice their worth on feeBay. No way will I pay $300 for something that I hardly wanted to pay < $100 for. Anyway I hope for a new isight, the return of the old one or a sub $100 camera from Apple Inc.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If you're right, I hope firewire isn't being ditched on another product.

He is completely 100% incorrect.

A. Why would Apple put a webcam in the living room? Why would you want it?

B. The USB port is for firmware upgrades only according to Steve, and they're not going to just change that.

C. FireWire will never be ditched, or at-least anytime soon - so many camcorders use a firewire connection, HDs, etc.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I thought it could have been better, like show the PC in another room video conferencing with Mac, and then have the PC's camera fall and the mac go and video chat with some "prettier" tech girls with a 4 way chat. All of this while the PC struggles to get his camera back up and cries because he cant.

This way unless I own a Mac, I don't see how cool it is. Also having a "camera" built in might scare some over zealous non techy adults that see cameras as webcams and webcams as bad things that show naughty things.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas

B. The USB port is for firmware upgrades only according to Steve, and they're not going to just change that.

C. FireWire will never be ditched, or at-least anytime soon - so many camcorders use a firewire connection, HDs, etc.

I would want a webcam in my living room! Well an iSight anyways.. think about it, you can call you auntie Jan in Seattle, and Uncle Frank in Cali, and Crazy Cousin Martha in Palm Springs, all while you sit safely in Houston, talking and "reinventing" home phone service

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri

I believe that a webcam in the living room is where people really want it...that way the family can gather around and chat in comfort from their sofa instead of gathering around a computer screen in the home office.

That to me would be the best application of iTV: well done 3-4 way video chat on my big screen.

In fact, they could have built in an iSight into the iTV and made this even more convenient...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.