Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
All,

I'm looking to get a base station to use with a new iBook. All I seem to find are Airport extreme base stations, which I have no need for.

I've also read that the graphite base stations aren't any good, compared to snow. I am hoping to spend about $100, and have found several deals on eBay for graphite base stations. What's the difference, and which do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
-breeze

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well this is what i would recommend. the new AE base staion is very ncie. easy to setup and most of all easy to admin. opening ports is a since and its all layed out in a very nice program. the linksys routers are good but can be a bitch to set up if you dont have a pc on your network. my linksys had 5 ethernet ports, compared to the 2 on my AE base station, and had about double the range, but the AE is just nicer in my opinion, and the usb printer support is quite nice as well.

iJon

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by iJon
...i would recommend. the new AE base...
iJon
So is that the graphite or Snow? Sorry, not clear on all this.

EDIT: Nevermind. Airport Extreme is what AE stands for :rolleyes:

So even though I iwll be using an iBook (802.11b) I should get the Extreme base station (802.11g)? How about just a standart Airport Base station that has 802.11b?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Try the d-link 614+. Its cheap as hell, and it works good. Its not the most feature rich router, but it gives good strentgh and easy setup. it goes for around 80 bucks. I have one and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Both of the new AirPort stations are Snow/white and are Extreem-802.11g. The Graphite is just 802.11b and below compatible, while the AE is backwards compatible to 802.11b. If I am not mistaken, Apple changed the color of the AirPort some time ago, so there are Snow/white Airports out there that are not extreme.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by Eniregnat
Both of the new AirPort stations are Snow/white and are Extreem-802.11g. The Graphite is just 802.11b and below compatible, while the AE is backwards compatible to 802.11b. If I am not mistaken, Apple changed the color of the AirPort some time ago, so there are Snow/white Airports out there that are not extreme.

aren't the 802.11b white ones different from the graphite in more than color? I thought they were revision 2.0 or something...

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
We recently got DSL (long story) and after installing a router, I'm guessing the ABS (graphite) went bad (I already had the capasitors replaced after it went bad the first time: Thanks Apple). So I shyed away from buying another Apple wireless product for the time being (voting with dollars).

I bought the SMC Barricade SMC7004WFW. The performace is not steller, however, it was cheap. I looked at similar products from NetGear and Linksys and they had the same defects as the SMC (quirky performance, not 100%, need to restart often) so I went with the cheaper product. It was $80 with a $40 rebate from Micro Center. It is only a 802.11b product, but because we only have a 802.11b need and it was $40, it will work well enough until we get a newer laptop.

Problems that we have with it is the laptop has a hard time seeing the SMC wireless router at times. It also seems the SMC product has a much, much shorter range or it could be that the iBook is about shot. My 1.25 DP (2003) is plugged into the router and I've had no problems what so ever. It is only the iBook. Maybe that's what I get for only spending $80 instead of $199 for the ABSE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.