Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan7592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Should it last a good 5-6 years or more? Are older macs always going to be upgradeable in the future?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
My Mac is quite old (over 5 years now) and is still going strong, running the latest version of Tiger. So I can safely assume the your mac will not be obsolete in a few years time :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You should get 5 years at least out of the MacBook. And you will always have options to upgrade in the future.

I could still upgrade some of my Macs from over 8 years ago (if I wanted to). Don't worry, your Mac has good future proofing.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
"Should it last"?

yes, it will last. unlike PCs, Macs are much more resistant to "aging." For what it's worth, my 2 year old iMac performs exactly as it did the day i opened it.

so unless your needs drastically change, then it will last!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Should it last a good 5-6 years or more? Are older macs always going to be upgradeable in the future?

Five or six years should not be a problem. Although my current laptop is a C2D MacBook, until quite recently i was running OSx Tiger on a 12" G3 iBook.

Photoshop CS2 and other "new" software was very usable on this computer.

FJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.