Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I am working on a project that has tabs on it and need help preparing it for press. Since my boss told me how the press wants the tabs to be set up was wrong from what they told me in person. I wanted to know how do i set up Tabs cut lines or dye cut in InDesign, I was looking to find something like in Illustrator where you can make a layer as a guide wont show in PDF only in AI/EPS.

The Print company told me something of Dye cut but they where not clear since they have latest version of InDesign than me.

So far I cant find anything on the internet, I think I may have misheard the word he was using.

Thank you

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Do the cutters as a spot (Pantone) colour either directly in InDesign or (my usual method) in Illustrator and import them as an EPS.

Mark the spot colour as 'CUTTER' in the InDesign file and on the hard copy you send to the printer. Put it on a separate layer if you want, and make sure it doesn't knock out of anything below if you're providing a PDF.

Bear in mind the usually extended production schedules for the cutters to be made up and any collation involved, if it's a binder for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.