Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:20 PM   #1
macjonny1
macrumors 6502a

Mini or apple TV? Any reason not to get a mini other than $$$$$???

I am considering the mini or an apple TV (would get the mini when it is updated as I'm not in a hurry). I like the idea of the built in DVD of the mini. I have a 46" sony 1080p :CD flat panel TV that I want to hook it to. I also would like the idea of having a running slide show that would make my TV into a giant photo frame, and I'm guessing that iphoto would work better than whatever picture viewing software is in the apple TV as they will be at full resolution. So, I know the mini costs more, but does the apple TV have any other advantages? I'm assuming the mini will eventually be on the wireless n standard so that streaming rates will be comparable.
macjonny1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
joshysquashy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjonny1 View Post
I also would like the idea of having a running slide show that would make my TV into a giant photo frame, and I'm guessing that iphoto would work better than whatever picture viewing software is in the apple TV as they will be at full resolution. So, I know the mini costs more, but does the apple TV have any other advantages?
The aTV will show photos full screen and will work at least as well as the slideshow function on FrontRow (which is pretty much flawless). If all you want it for is TV, the aTV will be simpler to use (no OS to deal with), will run faster compared to the same specs on a mini becuase there is no OS and will be cheaper.

If you want the option of having more advanced functions like browsing the internet etc, get a mini.
joshysquashy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:31 PM   #3
cbud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshysquashy View Post
The aTV will show photos full screen and will work at least as well as the slideshow function on FrontRow (which is pretty much flawless). If all you want it for is TV, the aTV will be simpler to use (no OS to deal with), will run faster compared to the same specs on a mini becuase there is no OS and will be cheaper.

If you want the option of having more advanced functions like browsing the internet etc, get a mini.

I am just guessing, but the AppleTV will probably handle video output much better. It will frame your movies more accurately, no cropped pixels like some people get with a mini. I think it will also upscale H264 content better, in a way that looks best on large TVs. I have a feeling also that you will pick your model TV from a list and the AppleTV will adjust accordingly.
cbud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:39 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbud View Post
I am just guessing, but the AppleTV will probably handle video output much better. It will frame your movies more accurately, no cropped pixels like some people get with a mini. I think it will also upscale H264 content better, in a way that looks best on large TVs. I have a feeling also that you will pick your model TV from a list and the AppleTV will adjust accordingly.
I'm hoping that's true...although, I wouldn't be so sure. First of all, it runs an embedded OS X -- it doesn't have "no OS." And second, they're almost certainly using the same QT technology on it as they do on other Mac hardware...it's just too costly for them to reinvent the wheel.

But I would hope that there are improvements in basic areas such as adapting to screen aspect ratio. Like right now, when I use my iMac with my TV, essentially the only way to deal with the fact that some of the shows in my iTunes are 4:3 is to put the displays widget in the menubar and switch the TV back and forth between 1024x768 (which it automatically stretches, resulting in fitting 4:3's to the screen) and 1360x768 (native).

I really hope iTunes gets an improvement to handle that better, too, but I would certainly hope the Apple TV does. Although, one advantage it has is that, since it's transmitting over TV standard protocols (component, HDMI), it should be more compliant with the way TVs expect things. Like at least for my television, a 4:3 component signal can be adjusted to stretch to fit, show at true aspect ratio, plus two different settings to adjust letterboxed widescreen transmitted as 4:3 to fit the set. But on the VGA input, it ignores most / all of these modes.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:50 PM   #5
benpatient
macrumors 68000

some other mini advantages:

more processing power
more "media center software" options than just frontrow (there's a whole submarket of this sofware already developed and developing rapidly)
ability to play video file types that the AppleTV cannot (according to it's specs) such as divx, wma, .ts streams and .vob dvd rips.
you can use it for things other than viewing/listening to media, like internet, email, widgets, photoshop, aperture, etc
it will have a resolution-independent OS when Leopard is released
you can hook up a USB TV Tuner and make it a PVR
it won't be instantly obsolete when apple decides to do something else/better, because it isn't the be-all/end-all home theater solution. It is more Newton than iPod, I believe.

I could keep going....
benpatient is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 PM   #6
MeWannaMac
macrumors member

Go for the Mac Mini.... Very nice and well worth it!
MeWannaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7
macjonny1
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I will go for the mini at the next update (i.e. Tiger). I'm not in a hurry and can wait a few months if need be. I like the idea of surfing the web on my tv with a bluetooth keyboard on lap too....
macjonny1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:03 AM   #8
ctsport1234
Banned

I also wanted to purchase a appleTV but decided on getting the mac mini as well. Good luck with your purchase.
ctsport1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod