Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parsa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2003
I've looked at macprices.com, macreviewzone.com and some of the other sites tracking vendors, and I think that few online vendors can meet my needs. Yes, I want the cheapest deal, but I have other concerns and am having trouble fitting into their boxes.

Hard drives: firstly I want a 60Gig HD, and except for Apple, I'm not sure the other online vendors offer systems with the upgraded HD. Anyone know anything on this?

Free Stuff: A lot of companies offer free stuff, but I'm not sure I want any of it. I don't want a couple hundred megs of free ram. I want to max the thing out to 640. So that "free" chip is a burden, especially if I have to pay $40 for them to install it! I also don't need most of the software being offered (you'd have to hold a gun to my head before I'd install a Microsoft program on my Mac).

Tax: The only thing from the online vendors that seems attractive is the fact that a *few* of them charge no tax to my US state (CA... the tough one).

Returns: Isn't it easier to do a return to a real store like Fry's Electronics? Would any extra cost be worth the hassle I'd save by not having to ship the machine back to an online vendor somewhere? (The down side is the tax thing of course).

Where's the best place to buy?

Parsa

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
if you want to customize your iBook when you order it, it may be easier to get it off Apple.com.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Got mine today from Amazon.com...the new 900mhz G3/128ram/40gig for $1244 (and free shipping).

Also got a d-link wireless 802.11b router for $52 after rebate. Got an airport card for $83. (free shipping). From Amazon.com

Then, got a 512MB ram chip from ramseeker.com (18004memory.com) for $90 shipped.

In all, got a helluva iBook/wireless package for$1469. All with no tax or shipping!

Now, all I have left is an Applecare plan from eBay. Almost won one today for $124, but got outbid by $5.

Deals are great!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
good times, glad u pulled the trigger coolbreeze. I'm sure youll love it. Good luck with the applecare, i found one for $99 on eBay and it worked flawlessly. Also make sure you pay with a CC or service you can claim fraud with because sometimess ppl sell pre-used numbers.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i don't know for sure since... well, i can't exactly afford to buy more than 1 mac and compare....

BUT: i read, on here, some time, that the warranties from resellers and direct from the apple store are slightly different. i believe, if i remember correctly, that apple would replace with new if it was from the apple store OR they would replace with refurbished if from a reseller.

it is quite possibly misleading information but i just thought i would throw it up in the air.

in the US (not in other countries, in my experience) it can be beneficial to buy apple computers from dealers and resellers. extra's, lower prices, faster shipping, etc....

for example... iPod 15gb for $314 from Dell!!! or 30gb for $404 thread

Parsa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2003
MCE "deal"

I've purchased MCE batteries and car power supplies before. The MCE deal resembles many others. I don't want a 256Mb upgrade. I want to max out the RAM. I don't want a 40Gb hard drive, I want 60Gb.
The Amazon deal may be better for me. I've bought and installed laptop hard drives and RAM before as well. I don't want to buy MS Office, have a free ugly case, or many of the other "deals" offered. MacZone had a battery deal, but as I recall, there were a lot of restrictions on it. Now... a free $100+ battery would be a good offer!

Parsa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.