Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Hi gang. I just came into an unexpected bit of money and I think I might use it to buy an iBook. I've never owned a notebook before, but more and more often these days I find myself thinking, "Man, I wish I had my iMac with me!" :)

I'd definitely go with the 12-inch screen, probably even the just the CD-ROM... I mainly just need it for Word and PowerPoint (and, of course, iColumns :)). My question is this: for those of you who are running OS X on a G3, would you recommend it? I would probably up the RAM to 256. This isn't a must-have purchase (although it will be by June or so)... I'm not looking for desktop speeds, obviously, but I'd hate to buy an iBook and be constantly annoyed by the speed of OS X. I guess the other option would be to splurge on the Combo model with the higher bus speed - a PowerBook, while cool, is just not justifiable. Any thoughts?

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I think the smaller screened unit is the one to go with. Every one I've played with at the Apple Stores around here runs OS X at a very good clip. I'd go for it with confidence.

blakespot

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Do the higher bus speed.

Or you'll go MAD. OS X is kinda resource hungry. I like it a lot but I'm also using a G4 400 with a Gig of RAM and a 100Mhz bus.

Frankly on a G3 I wouldn't want less than a 600Mhz processor, 512Mb of RAM and a 100Mhz bus.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I have three computers right now, and two of them are G3s. If you plan on using Adobe Photoshop a tremendous amount of the time, plan to import and export video and/or audio, or would like to use other heavy duty applications, I would get a Powerbook G4. The iBooks right now are fast, but applications such as Photoshop can take a long time to open up on a G3. If not, then the iBook should do fine.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Do the higher bus speed.

Originally posted by mischief
Or you'll go MAD. OS X is kinda resource hungry. I like it a lot but I'm also using a G4 400 with a Gig of RAM and a 100Mhz bus.

Frankly on a G3 I wouldn't want less than a 600Mhz processor, 512Mb of RAM and a 100Mhz bus.

i wouldn't worry about the processor speed or bus with os x, but definitely get as much ram as you can afford then you will be ok

...os x is ram hungry and ram is the bottleneck here...get 512 or more instead of 256

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Thanks for all of your responses! I think that I probably will go with the 12-in 600 model. My next question is, is there anywhere online that I can purchase it with more BTO options than the Apple Store offers? Ideally, I'd like 512MB of RAM and only a 10gig hard drive. Is it even possible to get such a configuration from resellers? If not online, can anyone recommend a good reseller in the Tampa/Clearwater area?

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
iBook

Hi Cleo,

I have an iBook 500 / 10GB / 384MB that I run OS X on all the time. It was a bit slow prior to 10.1, but it's been great since. Not the *fastest* machine in the world, but certainly not annoying.

I recommend that you go with at least 384MB of RAM.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000

i have heard 384 works, too

my old ibook has 160 on it and could be upped to 288, but everyone told me that this was too little...gee, what i would do if my rev a ibook could do 384

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
RE: BTO options.

If you can't get the config you want through the web page, call 1-800-my-apple. This is Apple's sales line and they can work with more flexibility than the web page. I also highly recommend the Apple stores. There's a store in the International Plaza in Tampa near the crossing of highways 275 and 92.
The address is: 2223 N West Shore Blvd. Phone: (813) 354-3868.

Look up the tech specs for max RAM and such, then configure on paper the way you want it. Take this to the Apple store. Have fun!:D ;) :cool:

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Mischief, thanks for the tip! I just love the Apple Store in Tampa, although it's rather odd to sometimes be the only girl in a crowded store! :) It's great though, because the only Cinnabon in the area is at the same mall - that's my idea of a well-spent evening! :D

Anyway, I was assuming that the only options Apple offered were those on the website. But this is great info - I'll be ordering my iBook this weekend!

Thanks again to everyone!

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
OK, one more question. :D

I've been looking around online, and I notice that Apple RAM is way expensive. If I wanted to buy third-party RAM, how would I go about it? I'm not a techie, but it seems like the tech specs for the iBook say that there's one factory-installed slot and one user-upgradable slot, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, can I just buy a 512MB card from anywhere? Can I install it myself? Any brands/sellers to avoid? Any other pertinent issues?

Thank you soooooo much again for being so patient with me!

- Cleo

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Be VERY careful.

RAM must be: 2-2-2 speed and of VERY good quality.

Viking and Edge are reliable brands.

Look for a retailer willing to not just "warranty" but "guarentee" their RAM. A "lifetime" replacement guarentee is not standard but I have found it locally.

Try online: [url:http://www.macmall.com] or

[url:http://www.macwarehouse.com]

RAM is the single most variable component when it comes to quality so BE PICKY and read the fine print about replacement policies.

Do the 128 pre-installed and find a 512 low profile module. Buy a grounding strap. Ask the techies at the genius bar to walk you through installation. They will if you do the work and do it right in front of them.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Listen up man!

Go to the Apple Special Savings Store. Buy one there for 1299 and I think it is a G3 600MHz, 100MHz bus, 20G HD, and a 12.1 TFT Active Matrix Display!

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
ibook

I have a 600 DVD with 384 of ram, and I think that you REALLY need the Ram. With 10.1.3 I am actually very happy with the speed. I think the Ram and the Java update really helped. If you are interested in buying, I am thinking about selling it (Or trading for a desktop) for 1300. Email me if interested. ryme4reson@aol.com

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Cleo,
Go to smalldog. They have the G3 600 iBook Combo with a free 256mb of ram for 1499. I just bought one about three weeks ago, and it rocks.

BacktotheMac, I remember you had a thread about buying the a new 600 ibook vs buying an older rev a powerbook. Are you happy with your choice? Why or why not? Your insight may help me make my decision.... I am in the same boat. I welcome all the other help I can get... thanks, and good luck, Cleo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.