Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I have a powerbook g4 thats about 3 years old. All of a sudden there is no audio at all from any application not even using the headphone jack. I've seen a couple of posts that recommend resetting the pram and tickling the inside of the headphone jack and checking the midi settings. I've done those things. The only time I had any audio was when i was reseting the pram, i could actually hear the chime each time. I don't get audio in itunes, any web browser, garage band or quicktime. My sound preferences look normal, mute is not on, level is in the middle and internal speakers show up.

About 2 weeks ago i noticed that when using the keyboard to adjust the sound that there was a delay, such that i kept hitting the button to get a response and when it finally did respond the level was either all the way up or down. Once it responded I was able to adjust the level as needed, but the delay was weird.

Now there is nothing. What's going on?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I have a powerbook g4 thats about 3 years old. All of a sudden there is no audio at all from any application not even using the headphone jack. I've seen a couple of posts that recommend resetting the pram and tickling the inside of the headphone jack and checking the midi settings. I've done those things. The only time I had any audio was when i was reseting the pram, i could actually hear the chime each time. I don't get audio in itunes, any web browser, garage band or quicktime. My sound preferences look normal, mute is not on, level is in the middle and internal speakers show up.

About 2 weeks ago i noticed that when using the keyboard to adjust the sound that there was a delay, such that i kept hitting the button to get a response and when it finally did respond the level was either all the way up or down. Once it responded I was able to adjust the level as needed, but the delay was weird.

Now there is nothing. What's going on?

Have you recently played with any settings at all? I've had this a couple of times when working with Quicktime Pro, Ableton Live and some other programs that can have conflicting settings. Nothing plays on the internet, iTunes etc.

This is from the help page that I fixed it with so might be worth a try. Once you've done it, if you've still not got any sound, try going to a site you frequently stream video or audio off, re-set your settings/preferences for whatever player you use and try again:

.....For example, if you play an Internet movie in Safari, it will make no sound; if you open a QuickTime movie on your computer, QuickTime Player reports the following error (and the movie will have no audio):

Solution

Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.
Change the Audio Output setting to 44100.0 Hz.
Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

Why does this happen?
Some third-party audio applications may change your computer's audio output setting. In fact, if you use the third-party application again after applying the above solution, the issue might occur again. Observe changes by watching the settings in Audio MIDI Setup before and after running a third-party application you suspect might be causing the issue. Contact the manufacturer of the application for more information.

Also, with the issue of the volume marker being delayed, this has always been the case on both my Powerbooks (both 1.67Ghz models last and second to last revisions) but strangely the newer one is worse! It's made extra slow if I've got a lot open.

Just to be safe, I'd check your hard drive diagnostics with Disk Utility and SMART Reporter just in case.

Hope that may help.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks AlBD.

I will try the diag tools just to be safe and will try the settings once more. My test website is espn.com, their homepage has a video that auto starts everytime, I'll try to change my settings once more. The fix you stated is off the apple help site, i've tried that with no luck.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks AlBD.

I will try the diag tools just to be safe and will try the settings once more. My test website is espn.com, their homepage has a video that auto starts everytime, I'll try to change my settings once more. The fix you stated is off the apple help site, i've tried that with no luck.

Yeah sorry about that. I re-read it and realised you'd tried the MIDI settings already. :eek:

No other suggestions I'm afraid but I hope you can fix it.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for trying AlBD. I appreciate you taking the time. SmartReporter shows my drive as okay. I verified and repaired permissions. However, when I verified the disk I got an error as follows:
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I am not prepared for this. Does this indicate a new drive may be needed or is there a way to fix this with software? Could this be a cause for lack of audio?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No, it doesn't mean the drive is failing. It's a *logical* error and not a structural one. What you do to fix it is either boot off an install disc and use disk utility to do "repair disk" or boot into "single user mode" and use fsck -fy.

With respect to the sound, the next standard thing to do is to create a new user account and see if the new user account has sound (alternatively, if you already have more than one, check and see if they all have no sound). If this happens, it's probably a preference file. Probably com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
thanks for the suggestions. i created a new user account only to find that the sound does not work at all in the new user account. now what???

i'm still working on finding my original cd to attempt to repair the disk.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I found my install disk.

In Disk Utility I first verified the disk. The only problem that showed up was "invalid leaf record count, should be 2 instead of 2398." At the end it indicated that the volume needs repair.

I then ran the repair disk feature in Disk Utility, the same "leaf record" problem showed up, but at the end it said volume repaired successfully.

I ran the Hardware Tester in quick mode and extended mode and both times I received the following error code while testing the logic board "21ss/1/5:Ox43"

how bad is this? what are my options?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm, I don't know where to get every test code, and that one didn't come up in google. :(

One thing you might try...how did you reset the PRAM? There are several other resets you can do -- as far as I know, the most potent one is to boot into open firmware, and then type the following three lines, each line exactly as written, followed by pressing <return>.

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

There seems to be some controversy as to whether these three actually reset different things or not, but it's supposed to be the most thorough in any event. You might try it. The system should reboot after the third line.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I reset the PRAM by restarting and holding down ctrl+apple+p+r and let it chime 4 times.

I found an error code close to mine on the following site
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macosx10_3_8/topic2766.html
about half way down posted by Robert Marks on Feb. 25 2005. His problem was no sound and claims "Notably, Apple Hardware Test reported the following error code: 2ISS/1/5:0x42(5), which apparently relates to the sound chip or module on the logic board." This seems related to my problem, however I'm not sure about the fixes he did.

About your recommendation, I don't know how to boot into open firmware. I was considering resetting the PMU but am trying to figure out how to do that.

What do you make of the leaf count error I saw? Any signifigance?

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I did the resets in open firmware and still have no audio. i did realize that my install cd is for 10.2.7 while I'm running 10.4.8, so I think that Disk Utility on the cd is causing the false leaf error. I've seen other similar posts stating that using non current Disk Util can cause eroneous errors.

millert011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Below is what I found in the system log for today. It seems to indicate a problem with the sound card. Right? Does anyone have a better or more descriptive interpretation?

system.log:

Description: System events log
Size: 625.92 KB
Last Modified: 1/21/07 10:10 AM
Recent Contents: ...
Jan 21 09:43:46 Rebeccas-PowerBook-G4 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 3014 goto AttemptToRetry
Jan 21 09:43:46 Rebeccas-PowerBook-G4 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2703 goto Exit
Jan 21 09:43:46 Rebeccas-PowerBook-G4 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 3014 goto AttemptToRetry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.