Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Excursions

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Is there any possible way to use an iPod Video with a Flat Panel "lamp" generation iMac that only has USB 1 and firewire? When plugged in with firewire the iPod says that it is not supported.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I'm not quite sure on what I'm about to say, but here I go anyway.

So becuase it's usb 1.0, it should still work, but it will be horridly slow. At my school, we used to have the older iMacs and they had USB 1.0 and they got along just fine with ipods, but they are extremely slow! The new generation ipods cannot use Firewire, which is a dumb idea on Apple's side, cuz Firewire is much faster.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Will work, but slow.

Is there any possible way to use an iPod Video with a Flat Panel "lamp" generation iMac that only has USB 1 and firewire? When plugged in with firewire the iPod says that it is not supported.

First, you can only use USB to transfer data to a video iPod. So transferring data to it will be slow as crap. But it will work.

Second, USB 1.1 doesn't provide enough power to recharge the full size iPod, so you will either have to get a wall wart power adapter, or you will have to get a combo USB+FireWire dock cable so you can charge and sync at the same time. (These came out with the original 3G iPod, and I think it's still possible to buy them.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.