Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TorontoSun is reporting that Apple and EMI are on the verge of announcing the digital release of the Beatles' catalog.

As per usual, Apple/EMI is presently mum, but sources with knowledge of the project say that two scenarios are possible for the release of the minimum 11 UK albums.

One early Page 2 report claimed the release would come on or around Valentine's Day (Feb 14th). TorontoSun lays out a couple of possibilities for the release, including a more gradual launch over the coming months, or the, instead, entire UK catalogue hitting stores the first week of June.

As previously reported, the remastered Beatles collection is expected to be exclusive to the iTunes Store for three months.

The article also claims that Apple has a "special" announcement scheduled for a Super Bowl commercial on February 4th.

Many have noted that Steve Jobs used Beatles songs to demonstrate the iPhone during the Macworld San Francisco 2007 keynote, possibily hinting at an imminent annonucement.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
I know this sounds naive, but it's a serious point:

Haven't The Beatles made enough money from their songs? Paul McCartney is one of the richest men in the UK. Why don't they just release their songs electronically, for free, to whoever wants them? They're part of our culture now, like folk songs.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I don't really care. These rumors continue to spawn and it's worthless, absolutely worthless. No one cares. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, well, then it's been like the last few years anyway.

Personally, I'm hoping to have a reason to watch the game as my Bears will hopefully be in it.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA

Haven't The Beatles made enough money from their songs? Paul McCartney is one of the richest men in the UK. Why don't they just release their songs electronically, for free, to whoever wants them? They're part of our culture now, like folk songs.

I think maybe he needs to make some extra money to pay off Heather :)

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
It would be a huge missed opportunity to announce the Beatles on iTunes during the Super Bowl and then not have the songs available for another 10 days. If they spend the cash on a Super Bowl spot, they should make the songs available as soon as the ad hits the air.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Wow... no one's really as excited about this as I am? I can't wait to buy their music when it becomes available.

Superbowl commercial too. Nice.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
At work, can't connect!

Would love to see that program again! Must see if available on DVD...

My god!

The Rutles - All You Need Is Cash [1978]

Availability: In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

All you need is Amazon...!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Sweeet

Sweeeeeeet! A special announcement from apple during the superbowl. CANNOT wait! They are just full of surprises!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Maybe not, but I'll bet you a Coke they announce a new iPod (widescreen?) with it.

That's a big deal.

I seriously doubt they're going to introduce another iPod that has some of the features of the iPhone before they start selling that device. A Yellow Submarine special edition iPod 5.5G is a definite possibility though...

B

epal

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2004
More to the date

Feb. 4, 1964 is the day the Beatles played their first American live television performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

BuzWeaver

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA

Its easy for us to say such things, and I do understand where you are coming from, but from a 'reputation' stand point and any number of business interest reasons I'm sure Paul/accountants/attorney's could give us quite of list of reasons why, though we probably would just shrug it off. :)

Hadley

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
i was wondering why jobs used the beatles a few times during the keynote, considering he had their album covers and everything on the iphone even though you cant get their music through itunes.

im glad that we may finally be able to get beatles music online.

UltraNurd

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2003
Watertown, MA
Supercomputer at the Superbowl

I'm remembering the awesome PowerMac G4 commercial with the tanks guarding it from... Super Bowl XXXIV?

Maybe we'll get to see our 8-core Mac Pros.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Yeah like I said in another post, BBC World Service on the radio did a story about the new EMI chief and said he was working on a deal to embrace more digital distribution, including the Beatles catalog.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
from the article...
"The second strong possibility is that the entire state-of-the art, 24-bit remastered UK catalogue will hit stores the first week of June, .."

and we will be clamouring to buy it in compressed MP3/AAC form?

The point being????

If the remasters are that good, why would I want it in anything less that 16bit/44.1? And if available in a higher bit depth/sample rate (DVD???) form, then that would be teh way to go.

All in all, a bit underwhelming. And much though I appreciate the Beatles place in musical history, is this REALLY that much of a deal?

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
It seems as if Apple has been looking for ways to spread their product announcements out. If think from a shareholder perspective (which I am NOT, but know many who are) this would be a good thing. It would be kind of interesting to see if they start to piggy back on big events (like the superbowl) in order to make announcements like these in the future. Or if this is just a one-time knock off with fortuitous timing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.