Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Hi,
I accidentally put my documents folder in my external and it ends up it cut and paste it when I meant for it to copy.
I moved it back to my internal but now every time I right click on something the window closes.

Thanks for any help

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Hmm...it sounds like some Finder files may be corrupted but I am not sure what. Maybe someone else has an idea before we try anything too drastic?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
When you right click what window closes? Any window open? I don't really know why right clicking should close anything, but let's get to the bottom of this. You copied your Documents to an external, and then copied it back? I don't quite get that as when you copy a folder to another drive it should duplicate to the other drive, not actually move the folder. Please give more details!

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
ok, what I did was I dragged and dropped the documents from the sidebar to the external. I assumed it would copy but moved everything to the external. I messed around some more and right clicking on any window causes it to close, but it seems to only be on the third right click.

Also when I transfered it the icon on documents changed to a regular folder.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Try going into system monitor and close the finder which will open it and reset it.

System Monitor... :confused: What planet are you from? :rolleyes: :p

What I think he's trying to say is Apple -> "Force Quit..." -> Click Finder -> Relaunch

..or..

Spotlight -> Activity Monitor -> Click Finder -> Quit Process (Big red stop sign ;) :p)

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
relaunching didn't work. the problem still shows up. Thanks for the help so far though.

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
For the record I've had this same problem when moving files on an external drive. I don't know why it is happening. I'm new to macs so I don't have a solution just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one with this problem. My external drive is formatted to FAT32 BTW and tends to happen when I move a really large number of files all at once.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
For the record I've had this same problem when moving files on an external drive. I don't know why it is happening. I'm new to macs so I don't have a solution just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one with this problem. My external drive is formatted to FAT32 BTW and tends to happen when I move a really large number of files all at once.

mine's hfs+ I believe. that's the way owc drives come right?

in any case I think I'm gonna reinstall the os tommorrow, it kept crashing anyway

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
For those with stuffit 11 here is the solution to the problem. http://support.smithmicro.com/techs...Tc5JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

It seems there is a bug with the contextual menu buttons so that every couple times you right click it crashes finder. Simply replace the old plist file wth this one and it should all work.

and I just reinstalled osx. Oh well the os was acting weird anyway.

I reinstalled stuffit and the problem seemed to have not come back but I'll keep this site in mind if it does.

Thanks I appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.