Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
blahbrah
macrumors regular

Finder Window keeps randomly closing

Hi,
I accidentally put my documents folder in my external and it ends up it cut and paste it when I meant for it to copy.
I moved it back to my internal but now every time I right click on something the window closes.

Thanks for any help
blahbrah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2
coastertux
macrumors regular

Hmm...it sounds like some Finder files may be corrupted but I am not sure what. Maybe someone else has an idea before we try anything too drastic?
coastertux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:32 AM   #3
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

When you right click what window closes? Any window open? I don't really know why right clicking should close anything, but let's get to the bottom of this. You copied your Documents to an external, and then copied it back? I don't quite get that as when you copy a folder to another drive it should duplicate to the other drive, not actually move the folder. Please give more details!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
blahbrah
macrumors regular

ok, what I did was I dragged and dropped the documents from the sidebar to the external. I assumed it would copy but moved everything to the external. I messed around some more and right clicking on any window causes it to close, but it seems to only be on the third right click.

Also when I transfered it the icon on documents changed to a regular folder.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:21 PM   #5
nickster9224
macrumors 6502a

Try going into system monitor and close the finder which will open it and reset it.
nickster9224 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:43 PM   #6
mjstew33
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster9224 View Post
Try going into system monitor and close the finder which will open it and reset it.
System Monitor... What planet are you from?

What I think he's trying to say is Apple -> "Force Quit..." -> Click Finder -> Relaunch

..or..

Spotlight -> Activity Monitor -> Click Finder -> Quit Process (Big red stop sign )
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:06 AM   #7
blahbrah
macrumors regular

relaunching didn't work. the problem still shows up. Thanks for the help so far though.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:58 AM   #8
Maynerd
macrumors regular

For the record I've had this same problem when moving files on an external drive. I don't know why it is happening. I'm new to macs so I don't have a solution just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one with this problem. My external drive is formatted to FAT32 BTW and tends to happen when I move a really large number of files all at once.
Maynerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:44 PM   #9
blahbrah
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
For the record I've had this same problem when moving files on an external drive. I don't know why it is happening. I'm new to macs so I don't have a solution just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one with this problem. My external drive is formatted to FAT32 BTW and tends to happen when I move a really large number of files all at once.
mine's hfs+ I believe. that's the way owc drives come right?

in any case I think I'm gonna reinstall the os tommorrow, it kept crashing anyway
Old Jan 20, 2007, 01:19 PM   #10
breakfastcrew
macrumors 6502

For those with stuffit 11 here is the solution to the problem. http://support.smithmicro.com/techsu...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

It seems there is a bug with the contextual menu buttons so that every couple times you right click it crashes finder. Simply replace the old plist file wth this one and it should all work.
breakfastcrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:32 PM   #11
blahbrah
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcrew View Post
For those with stuffit 11 here is the solution to the problem. http://support.smithmicro.com/techsu...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

It seems there is a bug with the contextual menu buttons so that every couple times you right click it crashes finder. Simply replace the old plist file wth this one and it should all work.
and I just reinstalled osx. Oh well the os was acting weird anyway.

I reinstalled stuffit and the problem seemed to have not come back but I'll keep this site in mind if it does.

Thanks I appreciate it

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help