Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Incendo
macrumors newbie

Dual 24" displays for G4 PowerBook?

Hi

I currently have a 17" G4 PowerBook which I LOVE. The only problem is that I'm a graphic designer and need more screen real estate. I've been considering purchasing a 30" ACD and waited for MacWorld hoping that an upgraded version with higher specs would be announced. Sadly, it wasn't and I don't want to keep waiting indefinitely for Apple to update their displays. I've heard some good reports about HP's new 24" monitor (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...-12401740.html) and on the surface, the specs seem to be a lot higher than Apple's 23" monitor and the price is cheaper. Currently, I can purchase the HP for $999 CDN while the 23Ē ACD is $1,099. Also the HP comes with a three-year on-site warranty while the ACD only has a 1-year warranty. I'm considering purchasing 2 of HP displays, which would give me acres of screen space. Soooooo . . . a couple of questions:

1. Is my 1.67 GHz, G4 PowerBook capable of driving 2 x 24" monitors simultaneously?

2. Does anyone have any experience with the HP monitors and if so, would you recommend them?

As a loyal Mac user for the last 12 years, it irks me to even consider purchasing a product from HP. However, I just canít justify spending more money for a product with lower specification. Any advice / assistance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Incendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
rogersmj
macrumors 68020

Do you see two graphics connectors on your PB? No. To my knowledge, no notebook is able to drive more than one external display. There's hackish ways around this, such as Matrox's DualHead2Go or whatever it's called, but it's a nasty solution, requires you to use VGA, costs a lot, and doesn't work well with Macs.
rogersmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
oceanmonster
macrumors regular

I don't think that you can drive two external monitors at the same time. I have a thirteen inch macbook with a 17 inch viewsonic lcd. I'd wait a few more weeks for apple to see if they update their monitor line. Especially if they put iSight cameras in them. I'd save up and get one of apples big cinema displays.
oceanmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Incendo
macrumors newbie

Dual 24" displays for G4 PowerBook?

Many thanks to both of your for the quick response. Well, I guess its back to the waiting game for an updated 30". I've heard that Samsung has just released a higher spec 30" and also a 27" but I don't think they are available yet. Hmmmmmmm . . . this waiting is killing me!

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Yes, it is possible to run dual external displays (giving a total of three including the PowerBook's built-in screen) on many Powerbooks using a PCMCIA slot video adapter - it ain't particularly cheap, but if you're a professional that exclusively uses the laptop it may well be worth it.

I guess the price really isn't all that horrible, considering how much "Mac Edition" video cards cost - when you can find them.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Jan 19, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

You can, however, drive the one 24" display and use the 17" powerbook display simultaneously like two monitors.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Incendo
macrumors newbie

Many thanks. I'll check out the site and see if it will work with my PD.

Cheers

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs