Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Aniej
macrumors 68000

really easy garageband question

this seems pretty easy, but while I use my powerbook for just about every thing else, I have never had an opportunity to edit audio recordings. I have a very basic audio recording from a lecture I attended and recorded on my mac. I would like to edit it down now and the only application that really comes to mind is garage band. Is this an appropriate application for what I want to do or do I need to use something else? I have garageband, but is there also a free application for this that I could pick up at version tracker or macupdate?
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Aniej
macrumors 68000

Throwing this back out there to the crowd!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:18 PM   #3
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816

Garage Band would work fine. No reason to go looking for a program I would think. Sure, it has tons of stuff you wouldn't use, but it works.
adrianblaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
MacsomJRR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacsomJRR
I think that Quicktime Pro might be a better choice for recording lectures and such. I found that GB was little slow on my old PB and the file sizes are gonna be massive for 45min plus lectures. Recording in QT Pro allows for easy cut and pasting and would also let you sure them with your non-mac friends...

One side thought is that I used to record lectures for class but I found that although it seemed like a good idea at the time I never had the time to sit down and listen to them over again. That time was better spent reading class material, books, and notes etc... In fact I think that paying close attention during the lecture and taking diligent notes works much better. But what-do-I-know I was just a lonely bio major
MacsomJRR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:37 PM   #5
sahnert
macrumors 6502

Garageband would work, but if it is too sluggish, there is a free program called Audacity that would work well also.
sahnert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:49 PM   #6
nickster9224
macrumors 6502a

I dont see anything wrong w/ garageband unless its all beachballs
nickster9224 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:08 AM   #7
scottlinux
macrumors 6502a

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
scottlinux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:40 AM   #8
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Depending on the age of your Powerbook, it may have shipped with a program called OmniOutliner. If so, there is a handy voice-note feature there which allows you to attach the recording to your notes/outline/whatever. If you already have the program for free, it would be a good option in class. It won't help you with editing down your current recording (I recommend sticking with GarageBand), but it might be interesting in the future.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:55 AM   #9
lord patton
macrumors 65816

How did you record the lecture? What format is it in?

In almost any case, yes, you can just drag the audio from the finder into a blank track in garageband.

There, you can splice it up. Cut the waveform into two parts, three parts, four parts, whatever, and delete the parts you don't want. Click and drag the remaining regions together.

You could use the volume curve to compensate for fluctuations in volume, or turn on some heavy compression.

then export to iTunes. If you're sure you like the finished product, use iTunes to convert the resulting file into aac or mp3óby default, your exported file will be aiff, which is big. You can also then delete the garageband file, as well as your original file (that is, the one you made during the lecture).

Most of this is straightforward, but if not, ask again. cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Aniej
macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I am not able to get the recording file into garageband to edit it. All I get are instruments and things like that, but I can't edit the sound recording. Please help.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 03:18 PM   #11
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniej View Post
I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I am not able to get the recording file into garageband to edit it. All I get are instruments and things like that, but I can't edit the sound recording. Please help.
Drag it from Finder into GarageBand.

You may have to create a new track.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio