Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BRUUUCE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Chicago
just the basics. want to test out of JAVA I (strings/scanners) so i can graduate on time and take java II when spring quarter roles around.

also, i can graduate by taking C ++ instead. I'm just declared as an ECommerce Technology major. So, which language is more beneficial to online programming? i'm assuming java but just wanted to throw that out there.

so, any favorite books or websites?

thanks

scan

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I would definitely go with Java. I personally hate C++ because I find it too complicated for no reason. I have a Java book called "Big Java" by Cay Horstmann and I find it alright. I've also read the Java book by Deitel & Deitel...forgot the name though.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
I hear good things about Head First Java, though I haven't read it myself. I do have Head First Design Patterns which is written in a similar style. They take a very different approach to technical books, and I think it works pretty well.

I've also read the Java book by Deitel & Deitel...forgot the name though.

"Java How to Program," probably? I think most if not all of their books have the "foo How to Program" title scheme. I have "C++ How to Program."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.