Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Has anyone ever managed to convert this file into a ttf?
I've tried but have failed repeatedly.
I know the legality situation, so are there any suggestions for a very very similar font already in ttf?

:)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by jethroted
It should not be a problem.

:confused: any details there, einstein?

...Techno is an OS 9 font suitcase, and i've never heard of a way to convert suitcases. If it were postscript type 1 or something, we could make something happen...

you could look for a font editor, extract the letters individually and build a truetype font... but that seems rather difficult, maybe it's not possible.

pnw

xj9000

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
fontographer

it's not fun, but you can open system 9 fonts in fontographer and save them as .fon (or .fot) files - i can't remember. Then on windows you can open the .fon files with fontographer and generate TTF from that.

.fon is the native format for fontographer files.

i've done this before, but it's not fun, and takes some time.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
news

Hey, I just learnt a way using a pc prog in VPC.
The problem with Techno as opposed to other mac fonts is Unicode or something.
I needed a pc prog to convert but also had to stuff the mac file and unstuff on the PC making sure that the resource fork was seperated into another directory.
hmm
just testing it now
It installed OK this time just seeing if it is all there.
I'll post URLs and process in case anyone else gets stuck like me.
also just got a mail, thanks jethroted I'll be in touch for a back up plan.

I had tried a couple of freeware progs on the mac (TTConverter, TT FontConvert) and had thought I had it sussed, but Noooo! couldn't install the font. eek

I'll post more when I've checked it out

kettle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
crossfont

To solve the problem I had to download a shareware prog for the PC, also I had to download and install Stuffit Expander to expand a .bin file of the mac techno font that I had already archived using my mac. The intention is to set the PC stuffit expander to extract the .rsrc part of the mac font in a seperate directory on your PC (or VPC in my case). I then used the shareware Font converter called CROSSFONT to convert the .rsrc file.

This is the first time I have had any difficulty in converting fonts and think it may be more common with Apple owned fonts, just an extra level of annoyance to slow the theft process.

ChadChad

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Techno Font for the PC??

Is there anyway someone could send this font to me. I have a project that needs it and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
chad

eriji

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
NW USA
Would like Techno Font too

I was in a situation where I needed Techno as well. I am doing a newsletter with Adobe InDesign on PC for a local affiliate of NAMI - National Alliance for the Mentally Ill and they use Techno for their logo and main headlines. I've had a difficult time getting our logo (NAMI of Walla Walla / NAMI News) to look right trying to cut and paste from the web site.

I finally gave up and went Mac hunting. I found one and zipped the Techno font suitcase and took the resulting file to my pc. Here's what I did there:

1. Extract the Techno.bin file from the Techno.zip file.
2. Rename Techno.bin to Techno.rsrc
3. Download and install "Crossfont" and register it. Cute little program.
4. Open Crossfont.
5. Drag the Techno.rsrc file onto "Crossfont" program window.
6. Select "Mac True Type Font" and then highlight the Techno.rsrc file in the window.
7. Select an output folder and click on the "Convert" button to convert the font.
8. Install the font "Techno.ttf" in Windows.
9. Test using the font.
10. Jump up and down repeatedly with glee and intense happiness.

I had nothing that went wrong. Everything was as smooth as silk.

Of course there is the legality issue, but NAMI corporate (who uses Macs) have advised that it should not be a problem in our case (not-for-profit, original was on Mac, etc)

Cheers!

eriji

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
NW USA
Thanks, I got it already.

No, that wasn't the font. There are lots and lots of "techno"-type fonts and fonts with "techno" in their name, but only one "tecno" font. You can see it at NAMI's web site. It's used in the logo and the slogan at the top.

Thanks, though. I appreciate your responding.

Sparky's said:
just curious bit is this the font you are looking for?

SaM3515

Mar 4, 2008
Techno Font

If anyone has Techno font and can't email it to me - that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Samantha

eriji

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
NW USA
Techno Font in PC and Mac Formats

To those of you who are asking about the Techno font, I apologize that I was not getting the notifications of activity in this thread. All mail was going to a long ago designated spam account, which I only look at in June (when the account renewal is up.)

Attached is a zip file with the Techno font in both PC and Mac formats.

I am not sure what the license is when it is included on a Mac, but the font is Licensed by and copyright 1995-1997 by The Font Bureau, Inc. All Rights Reserved, and they should be contacted for all commercial uses.

If you are going to just evaluate it and see if it works in your project before you buy it, I would venture an uneducated guess that The Font Bureau wouldn't mind much.

I am sure they will mind if you download it and use it in a commercial application.

If you are using fonts in your business, you need to know the rules. Look them up!

That said ;), I hope it is what you are looking for. :D

Attachments

• Techno.zip
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,602
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.