Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > New Mac Application Announcements

Old May 17, 2003, 02:45 AM   #1
vniow
macrumors 603

Mozilla Firebird v0.6 OSX port

Mozilla.org has (finally) released v0.6 of their stripped down version of Mozilla, formerly known as Phoenix (changed for legal reasons) and what may be of intrest to Mac users is a fully supported OSX port, unlike the last one which was just a simple recompile.

Get it here along with the Windows/Linux versions as well.

http://mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html
vniow is offline   0
Old May 17, 2003, 03:16 AM   #2
mac15
macrumors 68040

Its pretty slick , but not great. I ran the Pc version through VPC to see how far it has to come and well its got a long way....

Needs, native aqua widgets for starters. But the speed is nice, also a new icon would be great
mac15 is offline   0
Old May 17, 2003, 03:32 AM   #3
physicsnerd
macrumors member

Why is Phoenix being ported over with Camino based on the same code? Is there any advantage to using Phoenix vs. Camino? Or is it just another option kind of thing?

Not trying to start a flamewar, just interested in the differences / advantages?

Physicsnerd

------------------------
"Even logic must give way to physics" - Spock
physicsnerd is offline   0
Old May 17, 2003, 06:57 AM   #4
astray
macrumors member

Main difference between the 2 is Firebird is based on the XUL toolkit which means its interface is truly cross platform, whereas Camino is based on cocoa. Firebird is also the new direction the mozilla is taking so it will become Mozilla browser after the current mozilla 1.4 is finished. Also there are a few feature/ui differences, firebird is aimed at offering only the essential functions, but with the ability to add more through extensions.
astray is offline   0
Old May 17, 2003, 08:19 AM   #5
mac15
macrumors 68040

firebird is wintels best browser, surpaces anything. Its great for PC
mac15 is offline   0
Old May 17, 2003, 04:50 PM   #6
orangefoodie
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to orangefoodie Send a message via AIM to orangefoodie
Phoenix is the best browser on the planet ... IMHO. The mac version isn't as up to par, but I prefer it to Camino for the only reason that it actually lines up the tabs on the left --- hopefully it'll get better. It'll also be interesting how Camino works out into the scheme of things, when Phoenix/Firebird (I still don't understand how that name's cleared when there's a databasing program named Firebird, #1 on google search) and Safari seem ready to be the major contenders for the IE-unhappy folks...
Old May 17, 2003, 09:43 PM   #7
pilotgi
macrumors regular

I'm trying out the Linux version. Some of the icons look a little "XPish" but one thing I noticed right away is the scrolling. It's very quick and responsive. Much better than Phoenix, Moz 1.3, or Camino.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:55 PM   #8
alset
macrumors 65816

Looks pretty good. Takes a little longe than I would like to startup, but other than that... Still prefer Camino, but this is better than a lot of other browsers out there.

Dan
Old May 18, 2003, 12:06 PM   #9
ExoticFish
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ExoticFish Send a message via Skype™ to ExoticFish
Firebird is really awesome for PC, but my favorite web browser is still Safari!
ExoticFish is offline   0
Old May 22, 2003, 11:04 AM   #10
maradong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by mac15
firebird is wintels best browser, surpaces anything. Its great for PC
and for linux, as galeon is ( for me the second best browser ) becoming fat and slow.
maradong is offline   0
Old May 23, 2003, 09:10 AM   #11
Goblin2099
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Goblin2099
Is it just me, or is scrolling on Firebird OS X painfully slow? I even turned off smoothscroll manually, and my processor still jumps to 100% whenever I try scrolling down. Interestingly, hitting the down arrow on my keyboard is a lot worse than clicking the downarrow on the scrollbar with my mouse.
Old May 24, 2003, 04:32 PM   #12
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by Goblin2099
Is it just me, or is scrolling on Firebird OS X painfully slow? I even turned off smoothscroll manually, and my processor still jumps to 100% whenever I try scrolling down. Interestingly, hitting the down arrow on my keyboard is a lot worse than clicking the downarrow on the scrollbar with my mouse.
I downloaded it just try it out. I noticed the same thing. Scrolling is a fairly basic thing to do, no?
Old May 24, 2003, 10:16 PM   #13
pilotgi
macrumors regular

Quote:
my processor still jumps to 100% whenever I try scrolling down.
My iBook does the same thing with Camino. And that's with 32MB of vram and QE.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:41 PM   #14
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Red face

Doesn't do it in Safari.

Firebird is terribly slow! When i sized the window to a large size, it was very choppy and slow.

TiBook 1ghz 64mb VRAM.
crazzyeddie is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > New Mac Application Announcements