Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
mms
macrumors 6502a

Using iBook as XBox 360 Monitor?

I'd like to hook up my iBook G4 (rev 1) to my XBox and use it as a monitor. I'm aware that I can do this using eyeTV but the $150 price tag is a huge turnoff. Is there a cheaper/easier way to play XBox games on my Mac?

If not the iBook, then I have an old Apple LCD Studio display lying around (I first got it with the Cube way way back). Would I have more success using that at my monitor? How can I get sound if I end up using this display?
mms is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
zap2
macrumors 604

EyeTV is the best way I know of...really its not worth it, it would be nice, but I think a 150USD SDTV might be better.

Unless you plan on recording TV also...then EyeTV would be killing 2 birds with one stone, but really 12'' or 14'' is a small display for gaming imo
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:16 PM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

With EyeTV there'll be a little bit of lag too, which will make gaming an absolute pain in the arse.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Best bet is to buy a TV, or go dig up a 19 or 21" CRT monitor, buy it and the VGA cables as well as some speakers, and you got yourself a nice sweet Xbox 360 setup that'll do High def.

There is no way without the EyeTV. And the Studio Display is ADC, so it wont work.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationLP View Post
There is no way without the EyeTV. And the Studio Display is ADC, so it wont work.
I haven't even googled it, but couldn't one just use a couple converters to go HDMI->DVI->ADC (assuming he has an ADC->DVI converter for the monitor)?

Edit: Never mind, I'd assumed that the 360 HDMI cable had already been released, but Microsoft is still sitting on it.

Last edited by Xeem; Jan 21, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
Xeem is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2007, 02:37 AM   #6
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem View Post
I haven't even googled it, but couldn't one just use a couple converters to go HDMI->DVI->ADC (assuming he has an ADC->DVI converter for the monitor)?
Xbox 360 has no HDMI. So its basically ADC to DVI ($99), DVI to VGA ($350 and up)

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games