Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1
chilipie
macrumors 6502a

Dead 5G

I've had a 30 gig 5G iPod for a little over 6 months now, and until yesterday it has been absolutely fine.

Now it won't turn on, mount (on OS X and Windows) or charge. I've tried to connect it via different USB ports, with different iPod connecting cables and in and out of the dock.

Windows recognises it as an iPod, but can't populate the hard drive, so I presume it's something to do with the HD.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I have a gut feeling it's pretty much finished.
chilipie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:46 AM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipie View Post
I've had a 30 gig 5G iPod for a little over 6 months now, and until yesterday it has been absolutely fine.

Now it won't turn on, mount (on OS X and Windows) or charge. I've tried to connect it via different USB ports, with different iPod connecting cables and in and out of the dock.

Windows recognises it as an iPod, but can't populate the hard drive, so I presume it's something to do with the HD.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I have a gut feeling it's pretty much finished.
Have you tried resetting it? Trying the "5R's" on Apple's iPod support site?

If none of that works, you've still got your warranty so give Apple a call.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:47 AM   #3
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipie View Post

Don't know if this is the same thing, but had a 30 that ran way down. wouldn't show on the puter, no start, nothing. took about 20 minutes of being connected to the wall charger before it came to life and showed the charging icon. gave it a full charge and it's worked fine since. was ready to take it in.
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:16 AM   #4
chilipie
macrumors 6502a

Cheers - I charged for for 15 minutes or so through a Windows laptop (I haven't got a mains adaptor) and it now turns on and works fine, but I still can't get it to mount on my Mac.

Edit: A quick reboot and all is fine again - mounts properly and everything Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Last edited by chilipie; Jan 21, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
chilipie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
pianoman
macrumors 68000

when the USB-only iPods run out, you have to leave them plugged into a USB port (or wall charger) for about 15-20 minutes before you'll see that it's charging.
pianoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod