Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:24 PM   #26
howard
macrumors 68020
 
howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
its not impossible that apple makes a cdma which verizon does not cripple... after the cingular contract is up. crazier things have happened... ie: apple switching to intel?

besides, if the iphone does indeed sell well I'm sure that:
1. verizon will want to get in on it and
2. apple will want to get in on verizons userbase
howard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:36 PM   #27
sellitman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Send a message via AIM to sellitman
Money will draw the iPhone to Verizon like....

a moth to a flame.

sellitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:04 PM   #28
steamboat26
macrumors 65816
 
steamboat26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
I have verizon and hope they eventually get the iphone (although i probably won't be able to afford it) but knowing verizon, it will probably be 5 years until they get it. Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Cingular always gets the best phones first
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.
__________________
-Mac Mini duo core 1.66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac OS 10.4.10
-iPod Nano 4 GB Black
-iMac G3 500 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Mac OS 10.3.9
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 02:49 AM   #29
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Yeah, but only for like a year. If it's only a year until iPhone comes to Verizon, I'll be happy.
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:14 PM   #30
suneohair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadmonkey View Post
Yeah, but only for like a year. If it's only a year until iPhone comes to Verizon, I'll be happy.
MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE. What aren't people understanding about that? It doesn't matter if Apple wants Verizon, or if Verizon wants Apple. Apple has signed a multi-year exclusive deal with Cingular/AT&T. They cannot bail or they will be sued.

Some have said 2009, which would be 2 years. Could be longer.

Verizon might get it, but honestly I doubt it and the world will be a better place if they don't.
suneohair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:23 PM   #31
itsme92
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.
That is so true. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 02:11 PM   #32
Stadsport
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
A CDMA version might come out in SK, and it's possible it can be hacked to all hell to run on Verizon, much like people run amp'd hollywoods on Verizon.
Stadsport is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 02:52 PM   #33
brianus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCheetah3 View Post
Hi

Very good point. Verizon enjoys putting their crappy ( slow / unstable ) skin on phone OSs and Apple wouldn't allow that, nor would anyone wanting to purchase the iPhone.
Boy, you Mac folk really are ignorant when it comes to the PDA world! Explains a lot of the strange iPhone comments I see around here; you think entirely in terms of traditional cell phones. Verizon's "skins" on Windows Mobile PDA-phones amount to little more than a brief startup screen, not much more than we can expect from Cingular on the iPhone. Actually, as far as the OS goes, there's more branding in the iPhone screenshots we've seen (the little Cingular logo at the top of the screen) than in the "Today" screen in my 2-year-old WM5 touch-screen PDAphone from Verizon (that is to say, there is no branding whatsoever, nor a custom skin).

Like the iPod before it, iPhone is hardly a revolutionary or new idea -- it's just Apple's more stylish entry in an existing field of devices known as PDA Phones (*not* smartphones), that has been around for 3 or 4 years now. If you're going to make comparisons, make comparisons to the other devices in this class, not a RAZr or whatever you're thinking of!
__________________
iPhone 4S 64㎇ 6.1.3 | iPad 4th Gen 128㎇ 6.1.3 | MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.9㎓/8㎇/768㎇ 10.8.4 |
Mac mini C2D 2.66㎓/4㎇/120㎇ SSD 10.8.2 | TV 160㎇ 3.0.2 | Thunderbolt Display | Airport Ex.
brianus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:18 PM   #34
mrthieme
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
I think he means how VZW cripples their phones. They disable 90% of the features on the Razr, which gets me mad too. (I have a V3m)

VZW + =

(Sorry, have been looking for an excuse to use all day)
Amen! I'm in the same situation. I know Verizon does seem to have a reliable system, I just won't support a company like this with my money any more. My contract expires in May and iphone arrives in June, it's like the perfect storm. I hope AT T offers some decent plans for it, but I'm having serious doubts.
__________________
"MTV is to music what KFC is to chicken"
mrthieme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:41 PM   #35
buffalo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs / Ohio
It really is too bad iPhone is Cingular only, but I guess Apple had to do it. My family and most of my friends are on Verizon, so it would not be practical to switch. Also, Verizon seems to get better service in my area (Cincinnati), atleast comparing my phone to my friend on Cingular.

Also, Verizons UI is not bad. I had been waiting to upgrade phones until after the iPhone came out, so once I knew I wouldn't be getting it, I went for the Moto KRZR. I have no complaints about the UI... It's simple enough to navigate on the phone.
buffalo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:34 PM   #36
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneohair View Post
MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE. What aren't people understanding about that?
First of all, you missed my point - I wasn't saying the iPhone would be out in a year. I was saying that the Razr was, so it wasn't necessarily a fair comparison. In other words, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it on Verizon in a year.

As for your certainty about this MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE, is it because of this...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple's Official Press Release
Apple® and Cingular announced that Cingular, the largest wireless carrier in the US, will be Apple’s exclusive US carrier partner for Apple’s revolutionary iPhone unveiled today. As part of this multi-year partnership, Apple and Cingular are working together to provide innovative new features to mobile phone users, such as iPhone’s pioneering and unique Visual Voicemail, a first on any mobile phone in the world.
I've seen enough misleading press releases about exclusives in my time to know that the above does not explicitly state the length of the exclusivity of the agreement. It does indeed say it's exclusive and it does indeed say it's a multi-year partnership, but that doesn't mean it's a multi-year exclusive. That's basic logic. These things are worded carefully and I'm fairly certain that the word partnership would not have been used if it was an explicit multi-year exclusive. If you have another official source, please do tell.
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 02:25 PM   #37
Cult Follower
macrumors 6502a
 
Cult Follower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Dakota
They will stay with singular for a while.
__________________
If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. - Steve Jobs
Cult Follower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:58 PM   #38
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Follower View Post
They will stay with singular for a while.
Thanks, Ms. Cleo!
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 03:29 PM   #39
flysandy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real reason why no VZ + Apple

I know this is an older topic, but I still get questions all the time so....

Many VZ employees are anxious to see the iPhone with Verizon Wireless (self included - I am a BIG Mac fan), but it isn't an issue of the UI or even the GSM vs. CDMA differences. Early Mac rumors indicated the Mac was developing the phone for both platforms and I am inclined to believe it's true. VZ had major issues with the fact that Apple wanted a portion of the monthly revenue (on top of the cost of the phone). That and other "unspecified" demands from apple ultimately caused VZ turn down the option to be the exclusive carrier. Perhaps the other demands were UI related, but some VZ phones don't use the UI so I don't think that was the issue - I think it was all financial and ego on both parties. USA today reported this fact as well (the financial stuff anyway).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

Anyway that's the story from inside the company and out...I sure hope they can come to an agreement before too long (2009?). I stand behind VZ service, not because I work for the broadband side of the same company ...but because I do believe it's the best network. I dropped the local phone service because I had better options, and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same w/ cell service. I sooooo want an iPhone...but I've known too many people w/ issues w/ Cingular coverage.
flysandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 06:03 PM   #40
yayaba
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
I'm with Cingular now... I switched over last November even before the iPhone was announced because I was sick and tired of VZW's phones. (namely, I wanted to get a Sony Ericsson K790a )

In my 6+ months with Cingular, I can definitely say VZW's call quality is better. I talk to my girlfriend all the time on the phone and when I had Verizon, I could hear her perfectly fine but now with Cingular, a lot of times I have to ask, "huh? what? can you say that again?". It's not terrible but it is slightly annoying.

If I had an opportunity to go back to Verizon though, I'd probably just stick with Cingular. I like being able to use whatever phone I want.
yayaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 01:05 PM   #41
askripko
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to askripko
As i understand, you can't buy iPhone without Cingular Operator contract???

The Biggest Apple iPhone Blog
http://iphone-forum.blogspot.com/
askripko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 01:50 PM   #42
LxTxNx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mAMac View Post
Does anyone think that maybe down the road the iPhone will be available to verizon or other cell phone companies?
NOPE!
LxTxNx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:08 PM   #43
okolo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
I have verizon and hope they eventually get the iphone (although i probably won't be able to afford it) but knowing verizon, it will probably be 5 years until they get it. Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Cingular always gets the best phones first
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.
You've hit the nail on the head, its not just your opinion. Its a fact
okolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:11 PM   #44
/dev/toaster
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
And reportedly not until 2009 at the earliest. Apple and Cingular both have referred to their deal as a multi-year exclusive.

B
Its a 5 year exclusive ... so, if they don't resign with them ... 2012.
__________________
Current iPhone 6 ship time estimates for the US - http://orderobsession.com/
/dev/toaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:17 PM   #45
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/toaster View Post
Its a 5 year exclusive ... so, if they don't resign with them ... 2012.
Maybe by then ATT will work in my area - just in time for the end of the world!!
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:34 PM   #46
iMichael72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
same here. i'm in the Washington, D.C. area.



why not get a new phone instead of switching providers? Verizon sells other phones besides the RAZR. i just picked up a Samsung that's not loaded with features but it works as a phone, which is pretty much all i need it for.
I'm in the D.C. area myself. I never would have made the switch from Verizon, but I had to have the Treo 650 which Verizon didn't have at the time.

I was pretty happy with Verizon.

Now Sprint(which lead me to Cingular/AT&T), that's another story!
iMichael72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:17 PM   #47
roegmann
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
UNLOCK iPHONE?

In Southern California, Verizon is King. My work (scores of field bound employees) dropped Cingular because of dropped calls and poor coverage, especially in the rural areas. Verizon, while not user friendly, is network friendly here.

Phones have been unlocked for use on other networks. Will iPhones be able to be unlocked or will that be considered a breach and/or illegal?
roegmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:19 PM   #48
fishkorp
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by roegmann View Post
In Southern California, Verizon is King. My work (scores of field bound employees) dropped Cingular because of dropped calls and poor coverage, especially in the rural areas. Verizon, while not user friendly, is network friendly here.

Phones have been unlocked for use on other networks. Will iPhones be able to be unlocked or will that be considered a breach and/or illegal?
even if it could be unlocked it won't work on Verizon, they're 2 totally different technologies. Verizon is CDMA, the iPhone is GSM. i'm guessing there will never be a North American CDMA iPhone ever.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:16 PM   #49
ps49556n
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKaye View Post
Sure, there may be an iPhone available through Verizon after Apple's deal with Cingular times out, but Verizon's version will be called the "iPhon" because they'll have crippled out half of the features.


LOL.... DOnt hold your breath for any innovative products from Verizon. I have had Verizon for around 6 years and have always been extremely frustrated with the boring feature-less flip phones. Their business model for the consumer wireless segment is focusing on deployment if its VZNavigator service (GPS; free on cingular), and Vcast. Vcast BTW is IMO a pathetic attempt at bringing media to a mobile device. Verizon customers are with Verizon for one reason only; the customer service and the network coverage. These are important features but I think in the upcomming years, consumers will be focused more on phone features rather than service.

Besides my rant about Verizon, Apple and ATT have a 5-year exclusive contract so the earliest would be 2011-2012. I really dont understand why people make such a big deal over switch to ATT?? THe only matter I can see that is legitimate is not wanting to pay an early-termination fee.
ps49556n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:37 PM   #50
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps49556n View Post
I really dont understand why people make such a big deal over switch to ATT?? THe only matter I can see that is legitimate is not wanting to pay an early-termination fee.
How about the fact that AT&T service stinks in many people's home areas? I can't get a signal from AT&T at my home and I'm all cellular - no home phone for years.
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Verizon iPhone 4S - unlocked? JodyK iPhone 1 May 1, 2014 03:35 PM
iPad Mini: Is the Verizon iPad just as unlocked as the Verizon iphone? RobertoG iPad 5 Dec 9, 2013 06:29 PM
Verizon iPhone 4S (Verizon unlocked it) How to disable? WhiteIphone5 iPhone 3 Feb 27, 2013 12:46 PM
verizon unlocked iphone 5 tbluhp iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Oct 15, 2012 10:22 AM
iPhone 4S: factory unlocked vs. AT&T unlocked vs. Verizon unlocked 13ms13 iPhone 3 Oct 3, 2012 01:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC