Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2007, 09:59 PM   #101
Superman6966

Smile Verizon Red Crap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCheetah3 View Post
Hi

Very good point. Verizon enjoys putting their crappy ( slow / unstable ) skin on phone OSs and Apple wouldn't allow that, nor would anyone wanting to purchase the iPhone. I bet using a Motorola phone from Verizon is a blast. ( hint: slow + slow ≠ pleasant )

On top of that, until Verizon finally moves to WCDMA from the outdated CDMA, Apple won't likely touch them with a 10ft pole.
Think About it Look at Verizon's PDA's & Smart Phones.
They Dont Have the Slow red Skin.
But PDA's & Smart Phones Are Slow.
But the blackberrys Arent, but some do have the red skins
So they could make the iphone OS X Be a "Like Kind Of PDA's & Smart Phone"
at&t does have a 5 Year Contract with Apple though
Superman6966 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:06 PM   #102
Wright
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up iPhone will go to Verizon Wireless!!!

I was really excited to buy the iPhone, but not really happy about it. Because I cannot stand being told I have to change cell phone carriers in order to purchase an iPhone. But I refuse to change cell phone carriers in order to purchase it, especially to AT&T. Verizon Wireless is the only carrier that has decent service and been with Verizon Wireless for even years. It should be about time for Verizon to listen to their customers on the iPhone. Verizon Wireless customers are done waiting for the iPhone. Waiting for the iPhone is too long for Verizon Wireless customers, and we can not wait to buy an iPhone until at the earliest 2009. It would be very nice to get the iPhone on Verizon Wireless some time in 2008.
Wright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:10 PM   #103
meagain
macrumors 68030

Wright - Just do it. You'll love it.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:26 AM   #104
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post
I was really excited to buy the iPhone, but not really happy about it. Because I cannot stand being told I have to change cell phone carriers in order to purchase an iPhone. But I refuse to change cell phone carriers in order to purchase it, especially to AT&T. Verizon Wireless is the only carrier that has decent service and been with Verizon Wireless for even years. It should be about time for Verizon to listen to their customers on the iPhone. Verizon Wireless customers are done waiting for the iPhone. Waiting for the iPhone is too long for Verizon Wireless customers, and we can not wait to buy an iPhone until at the earliest 2009. It would be very nice to get the iPhone on Verizon Wireless some time in 2008.
The business world is not controlled by consumers or emotions...just cold hearted lawyers....

AT&T wasn't such a bad switch. I've had all four carriers now, and I'm pretty happy with them.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:49 AM   #105
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
How did this become 5 pages? GSM & CDMA very different technologies.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:51 AM   #106
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
How did this become 5 pages? GSM & CDMA very different technologies.
I don't think it's necessarily that, it's more of simply the contract AT&T has with Apple.

Yes, Apple initially chose GSM because they can ship the same phone worldwide, but they could produce a CDMA variant in a few years for North America...I don't see why not.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:11 PM   #107
FFR
macrumors regular

why would they verizon is switching to gsm
FFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:50 PM   #108
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
why would they verizon is switching to gsm
All Verizon did was side with a 4G standard that is usually related with GSM. That is hardly at all confirmation that they're switching to GSM and its related standards and successors.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:27 PM   #109
FFR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacZealot View Post
All Verizon did was side with a 4G standard that is usually related with GSM. That is hardly at all confirmation that they're switching to GSM and its related standards and successors.
verizon's 4g standard isn't related to gsm it is gsm.

"Verizon dumps CDMA for GSM-based LTE in 4G networks"

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/v...n-4g-networks/
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:47 PM   #110
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
verizon's 4g standard isn't related to gsm it is gsm.

"Verizon dumps CDMA for GSM-based LTE in 4G networks"

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/v...n-4g-networks/
That's true, but 4G is still a long long way from being widely used...we're still barely getting 3G out the door.

Don't jump to conclusions.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:52 PM   #111
JML42691
macrumors 68020

Haven't had the time to read the middle pages yet, but would Apple be able to release the iPhone to Verizon if it were an iPhone 2nd generation (say in late 2008), or does the agreement with AT&T and Apple cover future generations as well?
JML42691 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:53 PM   #112
eric55lv

Send a message via AIM to eric55lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
VZW + =
I think this comobo is better T-Mobile (us)+iPhone+
antways my conrtact ends as the same on with AT&T ends
eric55lv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:23 PM   #113
mets1125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML42691 View Post
Haven't had the time to read the middle pages yet, but would Apple be able to release the iPhone to Verizon if it were an iPhone 2nd generation (say in late 2008), or does the agreement with AT&T and Apple cover future generations as well?

Apple signed a multi year deal with ATT. Rumor has it to be a 5 year deal. So no iphone for any US carrier until the contract expires.
mets1125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:26 PM   #114
mets1125
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's true, but 4G is still a long long way from being widely used...we're still barely getting 3G out the door.

Don't jump to conclusions.
I didnt read the article but the guy wasnt jumping to conclusions. I have read that Vz will launch 4G in 3-4 yrs. Since vodaphone owns 40% of verizon wireless they are going to use the same technology (LTE) so they can roam on each others networks.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:32 PM   #115
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1125 View Post
I didnt read the article but the guy wasnt jumping to conclusions. I have read that Vz will launch 4G in 3-4 yrs. Since vodaphone owns 40% of verizon wireless they are going to use the same technology (LTE) so they can roam on each others networks.
But I think that he's jumping to conclusions by saying that Apple will release their 4G iPhone on all carriers based on the legacy GSM and CDMAone in four years....that's really thinking pretty far out, and also it's not like Verizon will trash EVDO and flip the switch on LTE all in a single day.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:58 AM   #116
mets1125
macrumors regular

Quote:
But I think that he's jumping to conclusions by saying that Apple will release their 4G iPhone on all carriers based on the legacy GSM and CDMAone in four years....that's really thinking pretty far out, and also it's not like Verizon will trash EVDO and flip the switch on LTE all in a single day.
I totally agree with you. I prob misunderstood your post. Yeah they def arent going to shut down EVDO overnight, they pump billions a yr to upgrade/maintnance the network. And also agree about the iphone in 4 yrs, lol, we dont know what to except of the next version except for 3G.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:16 AM   #117
FFR
macrumors regular

Quote:
What conclusion?
Apple and at&t have a five your exclusive contract, By the time the contract is up verizon will be a gsm carrier. Why would they even think about cdma

the time frame for the switch is 2 to 3 years, not overnight. as i said VERIZON IS SWITCHING to gsm.
you said:
Quote:
Old Dec 7, 2007, 05:29 PM   #118
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What conclusion?
Apple and at&t have a five your exclusive contract, By the time the contract is up verizon will be a gsm carrier. Why would they even think about cdma

the time frame for the switch is 2 to 3 years, not overnight. as i said VERIZON IS SWITCHING to gsm.
you said:
You're not reading my responses carefully. I said that the switch would *not* be overnight, that it would take several years.

I was wrong about the LTE stuff. Verizon is switching to that standard. What I mean by jumping to conclusions is that it's impossible to tell what Apple will be doing five years from now, let alone five weeks from now at Macworld. There are also many more factors than simply the technology standards the iPhone uses. I would imagine that politics sets the tone for much of the course of potential relations between Apple and Verizon.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:16 PM   #119
hankolerd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to hankolerd
I am not going to go through 5 pages of posts, so sorry if this has already been said.

If I remember right, AT&T has a 2 year contract with the iPhone, once that is up, other carriers will be able to sell it, as long as they can come to terms with apple.

Verizon was the first company that Apple approached about the iPhone, but Verizon turned down Apple because they could not come to terms. In fact the CEO of Verizon said that the iPhone was not going to have big enough of an impact on the mobile market to invest in it.

I am sure if a company can come to terms with Apple though, that Apple will help them by modifying hardware if they have to(if it is reasonable), to get it to work for the carrier.

If Apple want to succeed in the mobile market like they did in the mp3 market than they will have to get their product to as many carriers as they can, and I think they know that.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:24 PM   #120
mets1125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankolerd View Post

If I remember right, AT&T has a 2 year contract with the iPhone, once that is up, other carriers will be able to sell it, as long as they can come to terms with apple.

Apple has stated that they have a multi year deal with ATT. I have not seen 2 years anywhere, most people say its a 5 year deal.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:36 PM   #121
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankolerd View Post
Like the person above said, nobody knows for sure how long their agreement is.

Quote:
Verizon was the first company that Apple approached about the iPhone, but Verizon turned down Apple because they could not come to terms.
That is yet another thing we don't know for sure. All we know is that Verizon turned them down, and not that Apple necessarily went to them first. From a business point of view, it would be postulated that the approached many carriers simultaneously.

Quote:
I am sure if a company can come to terms with Apple though, that Apple will help them by modifying hardware if they have to(if it is reasonable), to get it to work for the carrier.
There's certainly more to it than just getting it to work on the network. The mobile phone industry deals with a lot of politicking.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:46 PM   #122
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

Sister has verizon and asked me this today so I thought I would bump it up for any new information

Reading the last page or two, I see none.
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:30 PM   #123
BelTelMel
macrumors newbie

5 Years

Apple iPhone on AT&T for five years?
Posted May 22nd 2007 1:53PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Cellphones

There are carrier exclusivity agreements, and there are carrier exclusivity agreements -- and Apple's iPhone deal must have been pretty sweet for Cupertino to guarantee their new hotness to AT&T and AT&T alone for five friggin years. USA Today reports the supposed half-decade deal precludes Apple from developing a CDMA handset in that time (duh), meaning that if you live in the US and don't want to move to AT&T, it's going to be 2012 before you even have a chance at an iPhone. Better still, Today reports that Cingular's arch-nemesis Verizon is claiming to have an iPhone-killer in the wings. According to Denny Strigl, Verizon CEO, "We do have a very good response in the mill. You'll see that from us in the late summer." It's war, people, make no mistake about it.

Here is the link:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/22/a...or-five-years/
BelTelMel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:07 AM   #124
rhambick
macrumors newbie

iphone/verizon

is there any way you can use an iphone for verizon?
rhambick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:14 AM   #125
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhambick View Post
is there any way you can use an iphone for verizon?
No; not at this time.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone