Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:16 PM   #1
JBot
macrumors 6502

ASP.Net developer for mac os x?

I know that this format is developed under the Microsoft .net platform, but what im looking to do is program web applications under the same type of programming language.
I know that there is Real Basic, that is similar to vb programming for mac, but i am uncertain if i can create web apps with it. The trial version is over so i cannot check anymore.
Does anyone know of any good program i could use on my mac?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:31 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

The best way would be to run Windows on your Mac. If you can't (or won't) then go purchase a cheap PC. I really wouldn't even consider any other option.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:38 PM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBot View Post
I know that there is Real Basic, that is similar to vb programming for mac, but i am uncertain if i can create web apps with it. ...
REALbasic can compile apps to Java bytecode.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

If you are really looking to develop web applications in OS X, consider something other than .NET such as PHP, Java, or even Ruby. Its going to be a long while before you can actually run .NET web applications on OS X. Now if you are just coding C# and not using any of the Web controls or WinForms, then Mono could be a solution - keep in mind they are a little behind.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
From Win to Mac
macrumors regular

The language that most resembles C#, Java, also allows you to create full web applications, using the Java equivalent of ASP.NET, called Java Server Pages.

I've done a lot JSP/Servlet work, and it's pretty similar. If you have to be Mac, then this is the way to go.

Marc

Now for something unrelated to JBot's question : Mono and all those other projects are dead as of .NET 3.0. They always will be. Especially when Windows Foundation software starts poping up everywhere. Yes, C# is ratified and ISO'ed, but Microsoft is leading the way and they'll always stay a few steps ahead. Plus you need IIS to run ASP code, plus plus plus.........

Well, I guess they're not dead, they're just completly useless. Who would use .NET code for serious work without a Microsoft backend.... No one.
From Win to Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Grover
macrumors member

I just want to echo what kingjr3 said. It is quite possible to use mono to develop ASP.NET apps on OS X. You will have to do some manual work to get it configured, though. You will need to install mono, compile and install the mono web server and then update your Apache configuration to proxy calls to ASP.NET through the mono web server. If you're willing to do this, I can post detailed instructions. I have had pretty good luck using this approach - basic ASP.NET applications run pretty much the same as they would on a Windows machine with IIS. You would want to test your code carefully on your ultimate target platform but if, as I do, you prefer to develop on OS X, you can actually do quite a bit before eventually moving to Windows to finish up.

It is true that mono is always playing catch up so do keep that in mind. However, a lot of businesses won't immediately move to newer versions of .NET - especially on server class machines. If mono supports what you're looking to develop and you understand that you should eventually carefully test your code in your target environment, you'd probably be safe developing using the current version of mono for some time.

Last edited by Grover; Jan 25, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
Grover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming