Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Calgary.Alberta.Canada
I know that this format is developed under the Microsoft .net platform, but what im looking to do is program web applications under the same type of programming language.
I know that there is Real Basic, that is similar to vb programming for mac, but i am uncertain if i can create web apps with it. The trial version is over so i cannot check anymore.
Does anyone know of any good program i could use on my mac?

Reactions: elisagrace

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
The best way would be to run Windows on your Mac. If you can't (or won't) then go purchase a cheap PC. I really wouldn't even consider any other option.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
If you are really looking to develop web applications in OS X, consider something other than .NET such as PHP, Java, or even Ruby. Its going to be a long while before you can actually run .NET web applications on OS X. Now if you are just coding C# and not using any of the Web controls or WinForms, then Mono could be a solution - keep in mind they are a little behind.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
The language that most resembles C#, Java, also allows you to create full web applications, using the Java equivalent of ASP.NET, called Java Server Pages.

I've done a lot JSP/Servlet work, and it's pretty similar. If you have to be Mac, then this is the way to go.

Marc

Now for something unrelated to JBot's question : Mono and all those other projects are dead as of .NET 3.0. They always will be. Especially when Windows Foundation software starts poping up everywhere. Yes, C# is ratified and ISO'ed, but Microsoft is leading the way and they'll always stay a few steps ahead. Plus you need IIS to run ASP code, plus plus plus.........

Well, I guess they're not dead, they're just completly useless. Who would use .NET code for serious work without a Microsoft backend.... No one.

Grover

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
I just want to echo what kingjr3 said. It is quite possible to use mono to develop ASP.NET apps on OS X. You will have to do some manual work to get it configured, though. You will need to install mono, compile and install the mono web server and then update your Apache configuration to proxy calls to ASP.NET through the mono web server. If you're willing to do this, I can post detailed instructions. I have had pretty good luck using this approach - basic ASP.NET applications run pretty much the same as they would on a Windows machine with IIS. You would want to test your code carefully on your ultimate target platform but if, as I do, you prefer to develop on OS X, you can actually do quite a bit before eventually moving to Windows to finish up.

It is true that mono is always playing catch up so do keep that in mind. However, a lot of businesses won't immediately move to newer versions of .NET - especially on server class machines. If mono supports what you're looking to develop and you understand that you should eventually carefully test your code in your target environment, you'd probably be safe developing using the current version of mono for some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.