Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Ripping - Damages Drive?

Hello,

Is is possible over over use your drive until its not working like its use to?

The reason I'm asking is because I've added a few TV Shows to iTune by using Handbrake.

I've been ripping Stargate Atlantis Season 1.
Usually a 42min Episode will take 1h30min to be ripped and encoded in Handbrake.
But... NOW a 42min Episode takes 2h40min.

So have I damaged my drive which is causing it to rip so slowly.

Thanks for any help
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Veldek
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
Are you sure you didn't change any encoding preferences?

I don't think ripping will damage your drive, although the drive may get broken over time and this might even happen when ripping a DVD. But ripping isn't much more than reading, is it?

Edit: I'm aware that there's also a lot of processing involved but I was talking about the drive.
Veldek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Rodimus Prime
Banned

no you are not. Ripping a DVD, CD or anything is the same amount of work to the drive as
Playing a DVD or a CD. The only thing that it is more work on is your CPU.

When you have a DVD in the drive your Optical drive is working 100% of the the time, it does not matter if your are ripping it or playing it, it is the same amount of work on the drive. If anything the ripping is less work on the optical drive than just playing the DVDs because it runs for less time per episode in the long run.

I would check your CPU and ram useages and see if that is increased compared to when you started. You Drive should not be effect by this.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:23 AM   #4
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldek View Post
Are you sure you didn't change any encoding preferences?
I'm sure. The disc I'm doing the now is Disc 5. I've used the same settings for the previous fours discs. That's been 11 episodes and each have taken 1h30min, but now each is taking 2h40min each.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Something has just occurred to me.

I stopped after Disc 4 last night and let it rip Jurassic Park...

Here's what I Posted in another thread.

Other Post
Quote:
Anyway...
My question is regarding Jurassic Park.

I've used Handbrake to rip Jurassic Park and added it to iTunes, mainly to play through the TV I've got ordered. But the file (i think and compared to others) is HUGE.

Jurassic Park 2.23gb

The Quality Average Bitrate is 2500.
Audio Sample Rate 48000 and Bitrate 320
Picture Setting - not reduced.

This is the same that I've been using for other movies added to iTunes. They look FANTASTIC on 52" Plasama TV.
Other files and longer moives like Superman Returns is only 1.65GB and I thought that was good for a movie with fantastic quality.

Have I done anything wrong with Jurassic Park?
Are all the other movies I've added going to work with iPod/ TV based on the settings mentioned above?
Could this somehow be related to why it's running so slow. Everything was working fine before I ripped Jurassic Park, it was the file size that was concerning me. But Now its the speed.
Is it just a coincidences that these two happened one after the other?

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Handbrake, and everything seems to be back to normal. I still have no idea what was causing it.

Thanks for all the help
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:36 PM   #7
MeWannaMac
macrumors member

Sounds like in your case it was a simple configuration problem which was resolved by reinstalling.

Its an interesting question if you can actually wear out or break a hard drive simply by transferring data. I would think for normal use it is very unlikely
MeWannaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:47 PM   #8
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWannaMac View Post
Sounds like in your case it was a simple configuration problem which was resolved by reinstalling.

Its an interesting question if you can actually wear out or break a hard drive simply by transferring data. I would think for normal use it is very unlikely
Yes, but hammering the drive in some of the machines that have poor ventillation will cause problems -- since using the drive a lot for extended periods gets them hot.

And heat is more likely to kill the drive than simply wearing it out though use.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
MeWannaMac
macrumors member

It is true about the heat killing the drive but doesnt the manufacturer test the device for prolonged use?
MeWannaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod