Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:09 PM   #1
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Managing a "Dual Library"

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to start re-ripping my entire CD collection soon. My iTunes collection has become a clutter of 128k AAC files from the iTunes Store, 160k MP3 files from my own CD collection, and a hodgepodge of MP3s from friends and colleagues.

I plan to do a few things as I work through re-ripping my 500+ CDs:
1. Sandbox iTunes Store purchases.
2. Re-rip as Apple Lossless files w/ error correction enabled (I have pops and crackles in some of my rips).
3. Purge any "unauthorized" MP3 files.

Once I get Step 2 complete, I need a way to easily/seamlessly do two things:
1. Rip future purchases as Apple Lossless files.
2. Re-encode the lossless file as an AAC or MP3 file for the iPod and the PowerBook.

I plan to keep the lossless archive on an external drive (and backed up off-site), but I want to keep a "portable" version on my iPod and my PowerBook. Purchases from the iTunes Store will eventually be phased out with purchases of albums from eBay or Amazon and most of the free downloads will be deleted.

My real question, however, is in the Lossless-to-Lossy workflow. Has anyone tried this before and found a method that works well? I've thought about something as elementary as this:
1. Rip in iTunes as lossless.
2. "Convert Selection to MP3/AAC" through the context menu in iTunes.
3. Move Apple Lossless files to external drive manually.

I'd like to find a more automagical way to do it, but I'm not sure if managing multiple libraries (hold Option at iTunes startup?) will be worth the effort. Ugh.

I eventually plan to get a Mac mini to use as a media server to dish audio out to the Airport Express (which will be replaced with an tv at some point).

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you do it?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

I have multiple libraries, managed with Doug's iTunes Library Manager (lossless for home, 256AAC for the iPod) and they're slowly becoming a pain to manage, which is why I downloaded this but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/sc...essaccworkflow

Quote:
Three scripts assist with importing/managing Apple Lossless audio files and sending converted AAC copies to iPod.

Lossless to AAC Workflow (CD->iPod):
• Imports each enabled CD track as an Apple Lossless file
• Makes a converted AAC copy of each imported Lossless file
• Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes.

Lossless to AAC Workflow (iTunes->iPod):
• Makes a converted AAC copy of each Lossless track selected in iTunes
• Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes.

Sync Tags of iPod AACs with iTunes Lossless:
• Attempts to sync your choice of Rating, Play Count, and/or Played Date data between corresponding iPod AAC tracks and Apple Lossless tracks in iTunes.

In this way you can keep archived Lossless files on your hard drive, and manageable AAC files on your iPod.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod