Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I may be silly reminding the rumor hungry horde ;)

But the 970 is nothing more than a wish / hope / dream right now. Nothing has been announced by IBM, or Apple, stating that the 970 is destined for the Macintosh.

Sorry to be a thrill kill...

How many of us "knew" that the G5 was coming, and that it would slay Intel / AMD ?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
yeah, i'm also a bit sick of the weekly threads on how pp lare sure that the 970 will be in the powerbook soon. asking if they can upgrade their pmac to a 970 and When will we seethe 970. These are jsut my opinions, but ppl need to relax a bit.

thank you for starting this thread yzdef.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: 970 for Mac != fact

Originally posted by yzedf
I may be silly reminding the rumor hungry horde ;)

But the 970 is nothing more than a wish / hope / dream right now. Nothing has been announced by IBM, or Apple, stating that the 970 is destined for the Macintosh.

Sorry to be a thrill kill...

How many of us "knew" that the G5 was coming, and that it would slay Intel / AMD ?

this isn't exactly news, sorry to rain on your parade. While nothing has been announced, is there anyone who actually thinks the 970 isn't coming to the mac. Rumors are often based on absolutely nothing, based on unsubstantiated "sources". This one is more solid than that. We know apple needs a new chip, we know of nothing from moto that fits the bill, IBM has been very public about the 970 and its attributes, we know its a powerPC, 32 bit compatible and has altivec. Lets just say if apple doesn't use the 970, a lot of people in the computer industry, not just mac rumor mongerers, would be absolutely shocked.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
/agree with strider, 970 is not just a rumor its fact. The rumors as to when it comes out are the ones to watch, nobody knows when it will be released. I see no reason why apple would not go forward and step into the 21st century with a new chip insted of using a 4 year old one.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I see no reason why apple would not go forward and step into the 21st century with a new chip insted of using a 4 year old one.
What? that makes no sense...x86 has been around far longer than PPC...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

Originally posted by strider42
this isn't exactly news, sorry to rain on your parade. While nothing has been announced, is there anyone who actually thinks the 970 isn't coming to the mac. Rumors are often based on absolutely nothing, based on unsubstantiated "sources". This one is more solid than that. We know apple needs a new chip, we know of nothing from moto that fits the bill, IBM has been very public about the 970 and its attributes, we know its a powerPC, 32 bit compatible and has altivec. Lets just say if apple doesn't use the 970, a lot of people in the computer industry, not just mac rumor mongerers, would be absolutely shocked.

Just because we don't know of another option doesn't mean there isn't one. You are talking about an industry that is built around secrecy. Also just because it is the logical conclussion in no way makes it fact.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah this kind of gets to me too-- even if you're pretty damn sure the 970 is powering all of Apple's current test units, you have to kind of allow that they might not be-- just because you wish it does not make it so. i definitely think it will probably be the 970, but still...

and i think the current timeline rumors are BS... absolutely nothing to back themselves up with, that i've seen...

pnw

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by paulwhannel
yeah this kind of gets to me too-- even if you're pretty damn sure the 970 is powering all of Apple's current test units, you have to kind of allow that they might not be.............

I would take that even one step further. Even if you could verify without a doubt that Apple had test units with PPC970s in them there is still no fact that they will ever release a computer with one in it. Apple always keeps there options open.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I have to agree, all the 970 hoopla is getting a bit out of hand, everyone knows that the 970 is a real chip and whatnot but nobody excecpt the people inside Apple and IBM know juat what exactly is going on with that chip, there's a pretty good chance that its going to be used in a future Mac, but then again Chimera had a pretty good chance of making its way into an Apple-branded browser too...

And does anyone else find it rather intresting that all the recent 970 rumors are coming from mostly one site, MacBidouille?

Here's a track record I made of every rumor from them that's made it to the main page or Page 2 of Macrumors.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26308

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well if there is no PPC 970 then what is there? I guess Apple could do another round of G4 bumps using the 7457 processor I have read about. It is supposed to clock higher then the current 7455 G4, but I don't think it has a lot of new tech except more L2 and L3 cache. I don't know, something like the Moto 7457 might be good for the laptops or the consumer line, but I just don't see anymore G4's in towers. They just are not selling anymore. From everything I have read the PPC 970 has Apple "written all over it" but you are right we don't know until the sheet is pulled off.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i think that the PPC 970 is definitely coming. ArsTechnica is positive that Apple will use it, but it's just a matter of when.

i have to admit that at first i got caught up in all the rumors of PowerBook's with 970's... but what are rumors for?:p

but i'm over all the hype now. it will get here whenever it does, and that's soon enough for me.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

Originally posted by MacBandit
Just because we don't know of another option doesn't mean there isn't one. You are talking about an industry that is built around secrecy. Also just because it is the logical conclussion in no way makes it fact.

If I may refer you back to what I wrote, I never once called it fact. In fact, I openly admit its a rumor, but one based on actual evidence freely available (unlike most rumors posted on this site). Its is much MORE logical to conclude the most likely chip apple will be using for the future is the 970 based on what we know about it.

I mean, really, whats the point of this thread. Just want to stand up and say "you all talk about it likes it fact but its not so nah, nah, nah, nah, nah". We ALL absolutely 100% are already aware thats its just rumor. I mean, its pretty obvious since nothing official has come out. But do you offer any reasonable alternative theory. Nope. I am pretty sure the 970 will be used by apple, so are plenty of industry insiders. We'll all find out in the coming months.

I might also point out that though the chip industry has a lot of secrecy, its not all that secret. Its pretty well known what technologies are close to coming to fruition. People know what intel are are working on, we know what IBM is working on (they announced the 970 well before testing had finished). We know the G5 project from Moto was canceled. Its apple thats particularly secret, not the chip makers who don't really lose a lot by publishing their immediate plans (within reason of course). If moto had something in the pipeline, I would be shocked if we didn't know about it in some form or another. So given that as well, the logicla conclusion is to expect the 970, and not something else for which there is absolutely no evidence. And if there is something other than the 970 thats going to be used, its going to have to be one heck of a chip, so no one will be complaining anyway.

I might also point out in reference to the G5 in the begining post of this thread, that the G5 project did exist, but never panned out. We know it was cancelled, as a desktop chip anyway. The 970 is not some fanciful chip. IBM has already announced their own product offerings using it. Go to ars tehnica and read up on it, they have quite a bit of information. its a real chip, one that WILL be coming out by the end of the year if not sooner (originally it was set for the end of the year according to very public IBM announcments) The 970 is a lot further along than the G5 every was.

So yes, its a rumor, but the evidence makes it a particularly trustworthy one. Should we post warnings for every rumors that comes up that says "hey its just a rumor" and say it over and over again. We all know they are rumors, but come on, the evidence for this one is particularly impressive.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Geez it's called "being Human"

What are we supposed to do? Shut our brains down?

It's called a Hunch. Sure Apple hasn't announced it but to chastise people for piecing together information and making a deduction based on that info is silly.

So what we don't know. I'd rather have an idea about what's coming and then go from there.

I agree with Strider42 this thread is silly and I will mark it with a low score. teehee

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
again, i thin kthis thread has a great purpose. People are already wondering if they will be able to upgrade to a chip thats not released there needs to be a breath of the truth. Speculation is great but there are a few ppl that are taking it too far.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

If I may refer you back to what I wrote, I never once called it fact. In fact, I openly admit its a rumor, but one based on actual evidence freely available (unlike most rumors posted on this site). Its is much MORE logical to conclude the most likely chip apple will be using for the future is the 970 based on what we know about it.

I mean, really, whats the point of this thread. Just want to stand up and say "you all talk about it likes it fact but its not so nah, nah, nah, nah, nah". We ALL absolutely 100% are already aware thats its just rumor. I mean, its pretty obvious since nothing official has come out. But do you offer any reasonable alternative theory. Nope. I am pretty sure the 970 will be used by apple, so are plenty of industry insiders. We'll all find out in the coming months.

I might also point out that though the chip industry has a lot of secrecy, its not all that secret. Its pretty well known what technologies are close to coming to fruition. People know what intel are are working on, we know what IBM is working on (they announced the 970 well before testing had finished). We know the G5 project from Moto was canceled. Its apple thats particularly secret, not the chip makers who don't really lose a lot by publishing their immediate plans (within reason of course). If moto had something in the pipeline, I would be shocked if we didn't know about it in some form or another. So given that as well, the logicla conclusion is to expect the 970, and not something else for which there is absolutely no evidence. And if there is something other than the 970 thats going to be used, its going to have to be one heck of a chip, so no one will be complaining anyway.

I might also point out in reference to the G5 in the begining post of this thread, that the G5 project did exist, but never panned out. We know it was cancelled, as a desktop chip anyway. The 970 is not some fanciful chip. IBM has already announced their own product offerings using it. Go to ars tehnica and read up on it, they have quite a bit of information. its a real chip, one that WILL be coming out by the end of the year if not sooner (originally it was set for the end of the year according to very public IBM announcments) The 970 is a lot further along than the G5 every was.

So yes, its a rumor, but the evidence makes it a particularly trustworthy one. Should we post warnings for every rumors that comes up that says "hey its just a rumor" and say it over and over again. We all know they are rumors, but come on, the evidence for this one is particularly impressive.
And the 970 project could be canceled just as easily as the G5 was. The evidence is rather impressive, but it is not overwhelming by any means. And it is not like IBM needs the 970 all that much. They could just develop something else instead.

I figure that they are angling to become the sole supplier of CPU's to Apple in the near future (if the 970 is a fact). And then, maybe they look at Apple's margins, and decide that IBM needs a PPC division with a UNIX related OS that they don't have to develop! They could buy Apple, what, 10 times over?

Also remember, Apple is run by one volatile person that must have things his way. People of that nature tend to burn bridges (G5 could be a victim of that).

At this point it is all conjecture. Maybe we will get some answers in 6 weeks, or maybe we will just get a 10.3 announcement.

I will keep my fingers crossed for a Gobi powered iBook ;)

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Re: Re: Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

...I might also point out in reference to the G5 in the begining post of this thread, that the G5 project did exist, but never panned out. We know it was cancelled, as a desktop chip anyway....

Thanks for saving me the time from typing.

I almost blew a gasket when I saw "yzedf" post: "How many of us "knew" that the G5 was coming..."

Talk about beating a dead horse and a lack of insight...:rolleyes:

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

And the 970 project could be canceled just as easily as the G5 was.

...and it just gets better..:rolleyes:

I can actually hear the IQ points dropping.

Look yzedf, I am NOT one of the extremesists that thinks that the 970 is right around the corner [although I would like to be proven wrong :D ] but gimme a break!!

I would say I'm about 75% certain that the 970 will come to market on the Mac platform sometime this year given the overwhelming amount of bonafied [and obvious] "clues".

Get one...;)

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...

They could just develop something else instead.

You're right. IBM does have a history of publicly announcing a project, spending a ton of time and resources on said project, just to scrap it and "develop something else instead".

Also remember, Apple is run by one volatile person that must have things his way.

Yeah, SJ is quite hated. That recently posted, measly 90+% CEO approval rating in Forbes and his 80+% approval rating by Apple's shareholders are clear indications of his inability to manage and produce.

People of that nature tend to burn bridges (G5 could be a victim of that).

Maybe SJ should lighten up. We need a big "softie" puppeted figurehead to run Apple at this critical point when we are waging all out war on Microsoft.

NOT!!

As for Moto's decision to kill the G5, if it was in "retaliation" for killing the clone licensing in the mid-late 90's, then it will make it all that much sweeter to sue the crap out of them for breach of contract.:D

I'm glad that the clone licenses were cancelled anyways, as I saw that as a bad move on Apple's part that would have led us down the path of Windows computers for lack of quality control.

MrJamie

macrumors member
May 7, 2003

And the 970 project could be canceled just as easily as the G5 was. The evidence is rather impressive, but it is not overwhelming by any means. And it is not like IBM needs the 970 all that much. They could just develop something else instead.

*cough* What? Listen to what you're saying, it doesn't make sense. I don't recall Motorola ever showing the G5 off at numerous trade/industry shows, in fact, I don't think Motorola ever came up with anything close to usable in a desktop computer.

The fact that the 970 exists, just outside of an Apple box, while the G5, for all consumer desktop intents and purposes, never existed at all, puts worlds of difference between the two projects.

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Well if there is no PPC 970 then what is there? I guess Apple could do another round of G4 bumps using the 7457 processor I have read about. It is supposed to clock higher then the current 7455 G4, but I don't think it has a lot of new tech except more L2 and L3 cache. I don't know, something like the Moto 7457 might be good for the laptops or the consumer line, but I just don't see anymore G4's in towers. They just are not selling anymore. From everything I have read the PPC 970 has Apple "written all over it" but you are right we don't know until the sheet is pulled off.

I Agree. Perhaps the 970s aren’t a fact for Macs, but I see no other logical way. Form what I’ve read, there is no possible way to clock the G4 any higher; furthermore, Apple has recognized the critical situation of their pro line and publicly stated that they were working on a fix. I really can’t think of any other possible solution than the 970. Jumping into x86 is just silly…..write and support two different OS, have a x86 chip in your pro machine and have PPC on the rest of your product lines, it’s just something hard to imagine and even more of a rumor than the 970 in Macs. The 970 is not a fact (yet) but==the only logical and possible explanation for the next upgrade.

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Re: Re: Re: 970 for Mac != fact

Originally posted by MacBandit

Ok, this is just silly!
Just because we don't know of ANY ELFS doesn't mean there isn't one. You are talking about a WORLD that is built around secrecy.

This is the point of a rumor site. Just because we don't know whether the 970 will be in Macs, it doesn’t mean it won’t be. Your argument can be used the other way around!
There are many things out there that we don’t know about; though, As quarrelsome and involved individuals we must grasp every bit of information and build a tentative proposal of what we consider logical or close to factual (even if it isn’t). Else, what is the pint of a rumor site?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Okay okay. Everyone is taking this way way too personal. I am not and no one else here is attacking you personally. We are just trying to pull a few of the extremists back to reality. Just calm down it's a silly friggin rumor and by some of us saying that there is still that chance that it will not pan out you people are acting like we just pissed on your mothers heads or something.:rolleyes:

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Overwhelming circumstantial evidence

If you don't believe the reports of 970 shipping to Foxcon, which I do, there are other strong circumstantial indications:

1) The current hardware platform (G3 & G4, with max 133Mhz FSB) cannot sustain OS X into the future. Quartz Extreme will have to compete with Longhorn in 2 years (Beleive that do you? It'll probably be the end of this year). With MS smoozing up to hardware developers, MS is going after Apple's heart. Style and design of unified hardware and software. With the power and inertia of the Wintel platform. Apple must move forward now. The 970 is the only option.

2) If you believe Panther will support 64-bit computer you have to believe in the 970s or you have to beleive Panter will support AMD Opteron or Itanium becasue those are the only othe r64-bit CPUs.

3) If Apple isn't going 970, what will they show at WWDC? The iPod dock?

I don't know about this secrecy modus operandi. Maybe it's time for Apple to grow up. All it does is cause angst among its loyal users and does nothing to attract future buyers (people do budget forward you know...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.