Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Slap slap

Who would feel comfortable getting an iPhone out in a pub or on the tube?

Nice having an all singing all dancing gadget but just don't use it in an urban area.........

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Or don't use the supplied white earbuds!

If you advertise what you have you risk being set up for a target.

An iPod can be hidden and you can get different earbuds. The whole point of an iPhone is that you interact with it, while making calls, or on the web, or watching stuff.

How can you do that in a public space without advertising that you have a £300 bit of kit which is easily sold on.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
the ipod is an easy target for thieves..

a LOT of ppl still use their white earbuds, so it's so easy to spot..

it's gonna be the same with the iPhone.. and to make it worse, u wont just lose your songs/vids.. but also private info like contacts/addresses!!!! now that sucks!

i hate thieves.. :mad:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
That's a nice recent article you've found.

In the uk we don't really take noyice of how much mobile phones cost, as we get them cheap or free with contract deals.

A lot of new phones would cost around £300 - £400 to buy a replacement.
When I declined to take O2 insurance on my Samsung D600 I was told that to buy a new one off O2 would cost £350.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

it's gonna be the same with the iPhone.. and to make it worse, u wont just lose your songs/vids.. but also private info like contacts/addresses!!!! now that sucks!

iSync. Look it up. :)

The iPhone/iPod is just a "pod" that mirrors what's on your main machine.

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006

i hate thieves.. :mad:

True. Plus any sensitive mails from banks etc.

I know 2 people wjo have had iPods taken, 1 as a street robbery and 1 taken from a jacket in a pub.

The iPhone might be the must have accessory of 2007, but it needs to come with a first aid kit and a warning sticker on the box - "This product will dramatically increase the chances of getting the crap kicked out of you"

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
That's a nice recent article you've found.

In the uk we don't really take noyice of how much mobile phones cost, as we get them cheap or free with contract deals.

A lot of new phones would cost around £300 - £400 to buy a replacement.
When I declined to take O2 insurance on my Samsung D600 I was told that to buy a new one off O2 would cost £350.

The article was meant to show the rise in iPod related crime when iPods really started taking off.

You might not take notice of what a mobile cost, but there some that do. Your Samsung would have a street value of £50. An iPhone taken 2007/2008 is going to have a value at least double that.

If there are 2 people on the tube and one is using a D600 and one is using an iPhone, its the one with the iPhone which is going to get followed out and mugged.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
If there are 2 people on the tube and one is using a D600 and one is using an iPhone, its the one with the iPhone which is going to get followed out and mugged.

Moral of the story:

Apple should ship a mini baseball bat or a tazer (or something to that effect) in the box too :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

Well if the iPhone gets a signal whilst on the tube I'll be impressed;)

You can't go through life not doing things because you're scared.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
You can't go through life not doing things because you're scared.

also a very good point..

basically, if u like the iPhone - buy it.. and let nature take its cause.. (just make sure you take out insurance) ;)

but whatever.. my contract on 3 runs out december 07, so i'm gonna wait till mwsf 08 till getting an iPhone - just in case they release a v2 :)

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Moral of the story:

Apple should ship a mini baseball bat or a tazer (or something to that effect) in the box too :D

Now thats not a bad idea

Introducing the iPhone.

Widescreen iPod
Revolutionary Phone
Breakthrough Internet Device
High Technology
Taser Personal Defense Weapon ;)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Now thats not a bad idea

Introducing the iPhone.

Widescreen iPod
Revolutionary Phone
Breakthrough Internet Device
High Technology
Taser Personal Defense Weapon ;)

not sure how realistic this idea is, but how about a fingerprint recognition for 5 "authorised" people..

any unauthorised hands on the phone, then it self destructs :rolleyes:

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I dont know about you guys but Im not going to not buy something just because Im scared of it getting stolen. I dont know...maybe you guys all just live in an area where there is an extremely high crime/mugging rate, but i dont so Im not worried about.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That reason could be a good one for some people. I have my own reasons why I will not buy the iPhone. The I want factor on the coolness side is there but I have to force myself to take a step back and look at it from another veiw and make myself look at it after I had the phone for a few weeks and the newness factor would wear off.

My reasons on why I will not get the iPhone
1.) The phone is to big and heavy for my taste. it is just to large as an object I would always carry with me. I do not carry my iPod with me every where because of the same reason. And it just not something that would be that comfortable for me to hold.
2. The price- I would be wasting money on a lot of stuff I would not need, want and never really use. A lot of it dealing with the calender and the Internet stuff. I never going to use it so why the hell would I pay for it. I also know I would not be using the music function on it that much either. So basically I would be paying 600 or so dollars for a just a normal cell phone that looks pretty. I sorry that is a huge huge waste of money on my part because the other stuff I know I will never really use.
3. Because the iPhone is a smart phone that means it has to take some stuff away from being a cell phone to do that extra stuff and to me that hurts it because it no longer a good thing that is just a cell phone because like above it has a lot of extras that I will never use so I would be having all those extras I would never use along with the what they take away from the iPhone being a good cell phone (and just a cell phone)

And lastly and instant deal breaker
This phone will not have insurance offered on it because of the price and I will NEVER buy a cell phone with out insurance because I phones seem to break on me and I am not willing to risk having a 800 buck object that going with out for a single day much less several days is very hard. A cell phone is way to key to my communication with the world so the cell phone is almost always with me which greatly increases it chances of breaking. I sorry 800 buck object is way to high to risk having broken and no insurance to cover it.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Cool, don't buy one.

This is rediculous. You actually spend time on a forum listing why you don't want a device when there's millions who probably will (based on the information we currently have to hand, six months before the actual release).

You have too much time on your hands.

(and as for insurance, huh?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.