Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:47 PM   #1
sdchica1220
macrumors newbie

i have 12gb free space..but imovie says there isnt enough memory

i have 12gb free space on my harddrive but imovie says i dont have enough memory to do anything more that add about 10 pictures to my movie. it won't allow transitions, title, effects or anything similar. is there anything i can do?
sdchica1220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Lovesong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchica1220 View Post
i have 12gb free space on my harddrive but imovie says i dont have enough memory to do anything more that add about 10 pictures to my movie. it won't allow transitions, title, effects or anything similar. is there anything i can do?
First off, memory does not mean hard drive space. Memory implies RAM, and it's possible that you're running 20 applications in the background, which prevents iMovie from functioning. Try quiting everything except iMovie, and try it again. If that doesn't work, save your project, empty the Trash, quit iMovie, and see how much space you have. Restart, and try again. Good luck.
I will not drunk post....
Lovesong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:58 PM   #3
-DH
macrumors 65816

While Lovesong is correct in that the term "memory" usually relates to RAM, it can and often does mean physical drive space when it comes to those pesky warnings from your Mac.

It's a general rule that you need to keep a minimum of 10% of your boot drive as free space - the Mac OS uses some of that space as virtual memory and for swap files. When drive space gets too low, things can start getting wacky.

It's also a good practice to maintain at least 10% free space on any other drive that is used for editing purposes (captures, renders, exports, etc).

-DH
-DH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:35 PM   #4
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

When you usee imovie, or any video programs video fles get huge, a gig file can easily take up over 10 gig of space, why many professionals have multiple large hardrives, im not sure why it isnt allowing you to add the pictures however. Someone like MovieCutter will know the topic much better than I. Sorry
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video