Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jopam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I have a formatted macbook dual core that was given to me with no factory install dvd's that would have come with it. I purchased a retail Mac os x from a local store and it wont boot. Just get the file with the question mark when I try to force boot with command key. DVD disc works fine booting my g5 isight power pc, but the macbook dual core doesnt even see it. I put my friends Macbook Pro factory discs it, it boots up and allows me to format and such but displays an error like "this software is not for this computer" when i try to load OS X. Any help would be appreciated.

joe

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
retail tiger set is powerpc only (not universal), and won't work for the intel. stuck with at least 3 options, maybe more...

1. get restore dvd from apple.
2. get restore set from friend/ebay.
3. wait for leopard, which will work on the intel.

best of luck.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
You need the restore disks that originally shipped with the computer. The retail Tiger disk is for PowerPC Macs only. Restore disks from other Mac models won't do either, even if they are Intel-based.

Apple can send you replacement disks, but they will charge you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.