Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
In this day and age, I am still surprised to see so many people who buy a newspaper on a daily basis.. reading up on what's "new" (even though the news can be outdated) etc..

i just don't get it.. is it just habit?

i have never bought a newspaper.. always read online.. as that is always up to date.

ok, if you don't have web access, then fair enough, but over the last few years, the UK has seen a boom in broadband users who still buy papers..

what's the deal?

</rant>

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
At the moment I get a daily paper.
My puppy needs something to go to the loo on.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
We only get weekends now, as we kinda stopped reading the daily. It took us an entire week just to bring last Sunday's (the 13th) paper inside the house.

lol.. yeah..

i feel sorry for any paperboy/girl who has to lug around the sunday papers.. need to get a truck instead of a bike :D

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
lol.. yeah..

i feel sorry for any paperboy/girl who has to lug around the sunday papers.. need to get a truck instead of a bike :D

I don't feel sorry for the ones over here. When I was 12, I use to deliver the papers with a paper pack; 100 papers in the front, and 100 papers in the back. And I would deliver them on foot in a 400 house neighborhood.

The lazy bastards these days just throw them from their cars. :mad:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
my folks get the paper delivered every morning. There's something nice about reading a paper; i don't like reading news off the internet.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I read it online. I would rather buy the paper, but I'm cheap, plus online is just easier.

I sometimes read the free ones that us Londoners have shoved in our faces every afternoon, but they're pretty crap.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
refuse to read tabloids

Well personally I won't read newspapers for the simple reason that they are far too one sided, and to be fair they are only allowed to write what the editor wants you to write.

Its all trashy, celebrity obsessed nonsense these days and so I get my news from the web.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I subscribe for a newspaper (the Age) through uni. It's $20 per year, the only catch is you have to go pick it up from the newsagents on campus. It gets delivered on Saturday and Sunday for free though. Whether I actually read it is another matter...

Most days I'll get the paper and have a look through, particularly if I have time to kill over lunch or whatever. I do enjoy it more than reading the online versions, which I find to be more difficult to find and navigate through. There is also a lot of extra content printed that doesn't get published online.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I have to read the paper with a coffee and my Nutrigrain in the morning. It's better than sitting down with a laptop and scrolling through the glossiest news items. If I'm in a hurry, I pour my coffee into my Nutrigrain. Mmm...

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I have to read the paper with a coffee and my Nutrigrain in the morning. It's better than sitting down with a laptop and scrolling through the glossiest news items. If I'm in a hurry, I pour my coffee into my Nutrigrain. Mmm...

laptop - rss reader

job done :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.