Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hello!

My iMac has been connected wirelessly to my D-Link DI-604 802.11g router for near 4 months now.

About 3 days ago, the iMac started to exhibit strange problems.

Every 3-4 minutes, the connection drops.
The airport icon at the top shows full bars (and the router is about 2 feet from the iMac) but the internet does not work anymore.
Also, if I deconnect and try to reconnect, at first it gives me an error ("there was an error connecting to network XXX"), then my network disappears from the list for 1-2minutes and then I can connect.

I think it has to do with an authentication problem but the password is correct etc.

I don't know what may cause this.

My PC with a wireless card is unaffected.

It seems to be a software problem with my iMac.

Does anyone have a solution?

Synthezoid

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Bump. Having the exact same problem with my MacBook running 10.4.11, on both my home and work networks.

grills

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Bump. My mac mini keeps dropping its wifi signal. my sony vaio sitting right next to it does not have any problems. fixes please.

grills

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
bump.

this is a seriously annoying issue. does it have anything to do with the fact that the router is a .11g and mac mini has a wireless 'N' card? fixes please.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Go to System Preferences->Network and highlight your Airport card. In the right windowe, at the top of the pane you will see the word "Location". Use the drop down to make a new custom named Location and once you make the new Location, at the bottom of the pane, hit the button for "Apply".

See if this helps. Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.