Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NLAlston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
I just conquered one problem with our Mac Mini (Airport connectivity), only to discover that there is yet another tall hurdle facing me. I tried installing a program onto the Mini, and was prevented from doing so. It is asking for a password that I don't have.

I had bought it as a gift for my father-in-law; a former songwriter/pianist who is now partially paralyzed (double-stroke victim) on his right side. With the Mac's featuring "GarageBand", I figured that he (with a MIDI controller) could continue creating his songs - overdubbing everything with just the one hand. But he could not seem to get a handle on working with a computer, so he opted to give it back, and to accept a used synth/workstation.

Long story short: I wound up with the Mac-Mini, but without the remote control, the manual, or the installation disk. He has absolutely NO idea what became of those things, and cannot remember the password created for him. I called AppleCare, earlier, and they informed me that the replacement disks (supposedly two, but I only remember one coming with this unit) would cost between $20-$60. I cannot pay that right now (not even the lowest figure quoted) and wondered if there was any OTHER way in which to get around this barrier?

eMacmadman

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
United States
Installation disk problem...

I had this very same problem with my eMac, I took it to my local Apple shop and they inserted a startup disk and well, started him up. During startup from a cd/dvd you press the "C" key to start from said disk. After a time you will be presented with the option of start-up, reset password and some other options. You want to choose the "Reset Password" option and proceed from there, after that you restart. From there you should be okay, you can also find this topic in the Apple support pages:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151815

Hope this helps.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I believe eMacmadman is suggesting you take it to a local Apple Store and ask them to reboot it for you. Do you live near one? If so, find it here and make an appointment to see a Genius. They should be able to help you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.