Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old May 18, 2003, 06:34 AM   #1
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Take a look at my new website...

Hey all, just wanted to ask if you could take a look at my new website. It's nothing to complicated, but I think looks quite good, and displays properly in all browsers (so far as I know, tested PC: IE6, Mac: Camino, IE5, Safari v74). I only started to build it last night, so it's very early days, but I have got quite a bit together given the amount of time.

The Jatrix
Old May 18, 2003, 07:20 AM   #2
valypan
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to valypan Send a message via AIM to valypan
Hi! I just took a look at your web page. Its very nice! I like the simple layout and I am Matrix fan myself so its cool!
if you want, visit my web page
HERE
Its much simpler than yours though! Just done with .MAC
valypan is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 09:15 AM   #3
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Very, very cool!
Ugg is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 09:50 AM   #4
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Good site but there is no Arrow pointing over the links page when you highlight it.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 09:53 AM   #5
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMacman
Good site but there is no Arrow pointing over the links page when you highlight it.
hmmmm...good spot! I'd better fix that! Thanks

edit:
Ok, I've had a look and I can't see anything wrong. It works in Camino, & IE (PC & Mac) and the code is exactly the same as the other buttons. Anyone care to take a look at the code and see if I'm missing something? Thanks.

edit 2:
Right, I've fixed it. There wasn't anything wrong with the code, it's just Safari being an arse. The name of the img tag for links was "links", onMouseover the links text the src of "links" img was supposed to change. Well, it looks like for some stupid reason Safari can't identify an img named "links", even though all the other browsers can....tut, tut, I dunno. Safari has a way to go yet. It's a real pain in the arse trying to make sure it displays correctly in as many browsers as possible.

Last edited by edesignuk; May 18, 2003 at 10:19 AM.
edesignuk is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 10:23 AM   #6
valypan
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to valypan Send a message via AIM to valypan
You are the first person who managed to upload a web page to our present time straight from the future! Check it out

The site was designed and built by me (Jamie Elliott) in one night, on the 17th May 20003.

So does it mean the matrix will really exist in 20003? Lets hope not hehe

Great page by the way
valypan is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 10:25 AM   #7
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Nice site, looks good. Two small things:

1- It's not clear on what page you are in the site. You should keep the link highlighted after clicking it, it's a proven interface design thingie.

2- The rainbow eye desktop is beautiful, do you have a 1680x1050 please!? Where did you get the pic? Isn't it from FCP 4? Did you find it on the Apple pr site?

edit: I think Heidi needs someone to warm her up a bit, she seems cold..
cc bcc is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 10:48 AM   #8
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by valypan
You are the first person who managed to upload a web page to our present time straight from the future! Check it out

The site was designed and built by me (Jamie Elliott) in one night, on the 17th May 20003.

So does it mean the matrix will really exist in 20003? Lets hope not hehe

Great page by the way
Erm...ooops! I'll fix that now.

Quote:
Originally posted by cc bcc

1- It's not clear on what page you are in the site. You should keep the link highlighted after clicking it, it's a proven interface design thingie.

2- The rainbow eye desktop is beautiful, do you have a 1680x1050 please!? Where did you get the pic? Isn't it from FCP 4? Did you find it on the Apple pr site?

edit: I think Heidi needs someone to warm her up a bit, she seems cold..
Point 1 > I was thinking about that, as i have said, this is very new, and no doubt I will change things.

Point 2 > PM me your e-mail address, I have a 1600x1024 version witch you can edit to fit.

mmmm....Heidi

BTW, I just added another 9 desktops
Old May 18, 2003, 11:05 AM   #9
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

Ok, I've made it so that when you are in an area, the area you are in is in a lighter green, it's subtle, but noticeable. What do you think?
Old May 18, 2003, 11:54 AM   #10
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

That's better, it's a subtle hint and that's enough!
What else you can do (It's not my intention to come across as a smartass!) is to preload the button graphics. If I press a button, it takes a little while to load the greener version. Dreamweaver can add a preload script.

Oh man a 1680x1050 version of the rainbow eye would look really great on my 20" Cinema Display.

Tips for anyone who's interested in interface design (such as websites):

Apple Human Interface Guidelines
The Design of Everyday Things (Donald A. Norman)
The Humane Interface (Jef Raskin)

( I'm still reading the last two books now, not yet halfway through both of them.. )
cc bcc is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 11:59 AM   #11
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
That's better, it's a subtle hint and that's enough!
What else you can do (It's not my intention to come across as a smartass!) is to preload the button graphics. If I press a button, it takes a little while to load the greener version. Dreamweaver can add a preload script.
hehehe, funny you should say that. I have *just* uploaded a new version which preloads all images needed for the menu. It seems to work well, but it's kinda hard for me to tell, everything loads so quick anyway (2000Kb/s+ cable ), could you give it a go for me and let me know if it works? (empty cache first of course )

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2003, 12:17 PM   #12
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Talking

lol, yeah it works now. Even with a connection that fast you should notice the delays in loading a graphic, I have 1.75 Mbit and I noticed.
cc bcc is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 12:21 PM   #13
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
lol, yeah it works now. Even with a connection that fast you should notice the delays in loading a graphic, I have 1.75 Mbit and I noticed.
Yeah, but it is harder to tell, I presumed that would be on dial-up if you were noticing it a lot. Any 56k users around that can check it out?
Old May 18, 2003, 12:34 PM   #14
dynamicd
macrumors 6502

I love your desktops, would it be possible for you to put the res sizes underneath them?
dynamicd is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 12:37 PM   #15
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamicd
I love your desktops, would it be possible for you to put the res sizes underneath them?
I've thought about it, but at the moment I don't think so. IMO the pages look a lot more tidy and clean without it. What I may do is make it so that when you scroll over the image the status bar displays the image resolution....but I'll have to see about that.
Old May 18, 2003, 01:54 PM   #16
wdlove
macrumors 604

Very nice site, edesignuk, thank you! So are you letting people us them for their desktop? The desktops are beautiful with a nice broad based selection!
Old May 18, 2003, 02:01 PM   #17
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by wdlove
Very nice site, edesignuk, thank you! So are you letting people us them for their desktop? The desktops are beautiful with a nice broad based selection!
Glad you like it! I have loads more desktops to put up there, but it takes time. Of course you can use them, that's what they're there for
Old May 18, 2003, 04:03 PM   #18
medea
macrumors 68030

sorry but to be honest The Matrix is lame and basing your whole site on the matrix without it being a true fan site is even lamer.
don't take that to heart though.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 04:21 PM   #19
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by medea
sorry but to be honest The Matrix is lame and basing your whole site on the matrix without it being a true fan site is even lamer.
Excuse me? The Matrix is "lame"? And I am "lame" for using it as a theme for my site? I pretty sure there are millions, hell, maybe billions that don't agree, and like me, love The Matrix.
Old May 18, 2003, 04:24 PM   #20
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Quote:
Sure, I'm not a huge Matrix fan, but still you must be reasonable, the site is solid. Telling him his site is lame just because he based it on The Matrix is a bit harsh. Each to his own, but I'd like to see your site.

Last edited by Wes; May 18, 2003 at 04:27 PM.
Wes is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 04:29 PM   #21
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Question

Quote:
Attached Images

cc bcc is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 04:41 PM   #22
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
It's hard not to take critial comments to heart, otherwise he wouldn't be human. Everyone is entitled to build there website around what interests them. He did a better job because he believes in his concept!
Old May 18, 2003, 04:56 PM   #23
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

It would be cool (imho) if you took a monospace font (courier) for the text, unix terminial prompt style like "follow the white rabbit_" follow the white rabbit with a flashing cursor at the end of each page. Just an idea.
cc bcc is offline   0
Old May 18, 2003, 04:59 PM   #24
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
It would be cool (imho) if you took a monospace font (courier) for the text, unix terminial prompt style like "follow the white rabbit_" follow the white rabbit with a flashing cursor at the end of each page. Just an idea.
Actually I did try using Courier, but it looked awful! I may be able to do the blinking underscore with a gif....hmmmm...have to look in to it.
Old May 18, 2003, 05:09 PM   #25
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Actually I did try using Courier, but it looked awful!
Yeah it might be boring actually. Unless, of course, they would be falling down leaving trails of random letters, fontcolors starting with a very light green then fade away to a dark green in a random fashion. (It might be a little bit hard to read.)
cc bcc is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene