Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old May 19, 2003, 11:30 PM   #1
rice_web
macrumors 6502a

Since personal websites are so popular right now....

http://stream.minot.k12.nd.us/site/index_nav.php

I just finished the automatic navigation system, so no real content exists just yet. However, the new system that I wrote, combined with my page builder, will make populating the site as easy hell.

Go PHP.
Old May 19, 2003, 11:43 PM   #2
ibookin'
macrumors 65816

Check out the website of my former H.S., where I still go on Fridays to help out with the system (~500 computers on the network, a majority of them Macs ). We have to pay for the domain ourselves, but we also run our own mail and web servers on campus through our T1 line.

http://www.erhs.la

Our site is in PHP, too.

I'm mentioned on this page, near the bottom in the block of members of the "Bit Twiddlers". My age is incorrect (that particular page is old), though. I'm Joshua, the "Go-to Guy".

http://www.erhs.la/special/t2k/

Last edited by ibookin'; May 19, 2003 at 11:48 PM.
ibookin' is offline   0
Old May 20, 2003, 12:14 AM   #3
Thom_Edwards
macrumors regular

damp?

are you guys using damp? what database are you using for your backend?

i've been an asp developer for a while, but i'm starting to tinker with php. i must confess, i've been using asp2php quite a bit, but i've learned a lot of timesavers/shortcuts from it. it also helps A LOT if you want to email a form result page.

anyway, good looking sites! i'm not too good at the page layout--my team has a graphics person, so that saves me from that. i wish i was better at it, but it's one of those things you either have or don't.
Thom_Edwards is offline   0
Old May 20, 2003, 12:33 AM   #4
ibookin'
macrumors 65816

Re: damp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom_Edwards
are you guys using damp? what database are you using for your backend?

i've been an asp developer for a while, but i'm starting to tinker with php. i must confess, i've been using asp2php quite a bit, but i've learned a lot of timesavers/shortcuts from it. it also helps A LOT if you want to email a form result page.

anyway, good looking sites! i'm not too good at the page layout--my team has a graphics person, so that saves me from that. i wish i was better at it, but it's one of those things you either have or don't.
We're not running a database for the main site. However, we do have a system for student information that is running under MySQL on a FreeBSD machine.
ibookin' is offline   0
Old May 20, 2003, 12:58 PM   #5
rice_web
macrumors 6502a

We use MySQL as our server solution. It's worked great.

The site that I gave the URL to will be adding the site content within the month, and then some heads will turn, especially when we show the source code (it's currently a closed-source program that will be open soon).

Currently, we're sitting on about 250k of code (not for the navigation; but rather for our unfinished projects). We may be approaching 1MB of code by next month, with megabytes upon megabytes in site content.

We're also developing a system that will allow other schools to use our software (hence the switch to open-source programming). Other school districts will connect to our database and use our code, but will be customized for that school district. We're also working on a sort of P2P program to let the school districts share ideas / communication.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 09:42 AM   #6
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

MySQL|PHP all the way!

I'm working on a load of sites at the moment that use php + mysql db + CMS backend. Check out http://cathyburton.co.uk (i don't like the design any more - way too green!). That was my first proper dynamic site, but i'm working on some much more sophisticated stuff at the moment.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 09:48 AM   #7
pseudobrit
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to pseudobrit
Quote:
Originally posted by ibookin'
http://www.erhs.la

Our site is in PHP, too.
And apparently in Laos.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene