Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

Frame By Frame Video Player

Hey guys.. im looking for a Frame by Frame video player, i want to be able to go foreward or backward by a frame using a keyboard shortcut. Currently i am experimenting with a couple of media players.

Mplayer
Niceplayer
VLC

i like mplayer and vlc because they can play anything that i want... but i cant figure out how to get frame by frame, or even if its possible using them

i also like using niceplayer a lot because of its simplicity, and the way it looks.

so if anyone knows how to do frame by frame in these players, can you please let me know, or if there is a dif player that i should get.

Thanks!
speedemonV12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
The Void
macrumors regular

Uh, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but how about a little known app called Quicktime? Maybe it's only a QT Pro feature, but for me, the L & R cursor arrows move the movie by a frame at a time when it's paused. Ditto for Cellulo.

In VLC prefs, you can set the length of a 'very short jump' in seconds. I haven't tried it, but I guess you could set it to be 0.04, which would work for 25fps movies.

I don't know about Mplayer or Nice player.

The Void
Unreturned.
The Void is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

quicktime barely plays any of the video files that I have, and I installed the perian plugin, still cannot play most of the files that i throw at it.. dont know why
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

so for me, quicktime is not an option, unless the perian plugin begins working for me.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Yuvi
macrumors member

Could you describe what kinds of movies that aren't working in Perian for you (container format, codecs used, etc.)? And maybe point the devs to a sample?

As for frame-by-frame stuff, QuickTime is really the only option. VLC is very stream-based, and would require major re-architecturing of the source to do frame-by-frame stepping. MPlayer can step forward one frame if you hit ".", but that didn't work from the GUI last time I tried, and it has no backwards frame step. Niceplayer will only step frame-by-frame with its QuickTime and Core Video (which uses QuickTime) backends (opt-left/right), the Xine backend doesn't implement this.
Yuvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

so niceplayer is the only thing that will get me close to frame by frame then

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store