Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoestring

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I just got mine last Friday, it's white, pure as cocaine and I just sat and stared at it for a couple hours.

After I finally got over the initial awe, I fired it up, saw 9 wireless networks (5 unsecured, thank you neighbors) and started playing. My RAM and HD didn't show up so I spent most of the afternoon just playing around on the net and didn't want to get too much set up since I was going to be redoing it anyway.

After installing the new HD last night, I headed out to opensourcemac.org. I got all the stuff that interested me there and then started playing with Quicksilver. That has got to be one of the most amazing apps I've ever had the pleasure of using. Granted, I haven't even started tapping into it's potential, but just following a couple of the tutorials, it's power seems limitless.

I did have a small problem getting RAM to seat and the first time only one stick showed up. Second time it wouldn't boot :( Third time was a charm and it's now purring along.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Tonight I start on bootcamp I guess and see what kinda trouble I can get myself into with that.

flashphire

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
Oh man, I was soooo careful with my tiBook when I got it. Kept it clean for 5 months until my roommate scratched it while typing on it with his sharp metal watch. I was pissed, almost heart broken. But, you have to realize those are just the battle scars which end up giving it character in the long run.

2fives

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Surrey BC
My first scared moment was when I finally had to give in and clean the screen. When I got it , it was mint, and slowly dust and a couple finger prints and a few spots from not turning far enough away when sneezing, etc.... forced me into cleaning. Especially with the glossy screen.

Got mine at xmas (about 1 month ago) time and luckily no dents or scratches yet.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I removed my Macbook with a towel cause I didn't want to get any fingerprints on it. I then proceeded to apply the invisible skin which was such a pain but well worth it. Waiting for the clear screen protector so my LCD screen can be fingerprint-free :D

Oh and I placed a keyboard/palm rest silicone skin on too. :D

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
I still havent gotten a scratch on mine. I have been extremely careful and have covered it with a microfiber cloth and put it in a box when I am not using it. But this is just until I get a speck case or invisisble case. I cant really decide which to get.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I still havent gotten a scratch on mine. I have been extremely careful and have covered it with a microfiber cloth and put it in a box when I am not using it. But this is just until I get a speck case or invisisble case. I cant really decide which to get.

If you want a clear speck case, I have one just sitting on my desk collecting dust. Never used it.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
then started playing with Quicksilver. That has got to be one of the most amazing apps I've ever had the pleasure of using.

I write software for a living and that thing that is Quicksilver is incredible. It is probably one of the greatest programs I have ever used on any platform. I wonder if it ever got any kind of awards from Apple?

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I removed my Macbook with a towel cause I didn't want to get any fingerprints on it. I then proceeded to apply the invisible skin which was such a pain but well worth it. Waiting for the clear screen protector so my LCD screen can be fingerprint-free :D

Oh and I placed a keyboard/palm rest silicone skin on too. :D

lol same thing happened to me except by my brother put finger prints o it purpose because he thought it was funny how i reacted.... I almost killed him

did i mention hes 20

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
Believe me, I love the look of my Macbook as much as the next guy, but come on people, it's just a computer. These things were meant to be used. Sooner or later you're going to get a scratch on the thing.

You guys sound like those old ladies that keep there couches covered in plastic. Take off the covers, people. Live a little. I always use my Macbook without protection, and it's fantastic!

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Dumping $1400 for MBs and around $2000 for MBPs, I'd want to at least take care of it. If you decide to resell it, which would the buyer rather have? A well taken care of MB/P that doesn't have any scratches or a MB/P with scratches? Also, which would have the better resell value? Some food for thought.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
Dumping $1400 for MBs and around $2000 for MBPs, I'd want to at least take care of it. If you decide to resell it, which would the buyer rather have? A well taken care of MB/P that doesn't have any scratches or a MB/P with scratches? Also, which would have the better resell value? Some food for thought.

After a day of using my Macbook, I decided this was the first computer that I've bought in years that I'm going to run into the ground. I have no intention of selling this thing.

I usually take that, "I'll keep it pristine so it will hold its value until I sell it", attitude. With this computer, I'm just trying to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I don't beat the hell out of the thing. I've never been the type to abuse my possessions. I've had it since September, and it's still without a scratch. I just don't feel the need to handle it with kid gloves. This computer is going to be either mine, or my wife's until it's cold and dead.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
After a day of using my Macbook, I decided this was the first computer that I've bought in years that I'm going to run into the ground. I have no intention of selling this thing.

I usually take that, I'll keep it pristine so it will hold its value until I sell it, attitude. With this computer, I'm just trying to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I don't beat the hell out of the thing. I've had it since September, and it's still without a scratch. I just don't feel the need to handle it with kid gloves. This computer is going to be either mine, or my wife's until it's cold and dead.

Understood. I guess it depends on whether or not the owner intends on keeping it until it dies or wants to update every year/bi-annually.

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
Understood. I guess it depends on whether or not the owner intends on keeping it until it dies or wants to update every year/bi-annually.

Yeah part of the reason that I keep my things in such good condition is because I sell them very quickly and want them to be in good condition when they are sold.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
You guys sound like those old ladies that keep there couches covered in plastic. Take off the covers, people. Live a little. I always use my Macbook without protection, and it's fantastic!

That was actually pretty funny! :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Take your keys out and scratch it now, or slide it across the driveway.

Then you won't be scared to use it. :p

iBrandi

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
I haven't even ordered mine yet and I already bought a case so I will be ready when it gets here. A little crazy, I know!! :rolleyes:

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Take your keys out and scratch it now, or slide it across the driveway.

Then you won't be scared to use it. :p

I've actually tried using my keys and a folding knife on the invisible skin. Leaves no scratches or marks. At least I can be a bit more rough with it..

Not sure about the driveway option haha

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
i didnt want to touch my blackbook just bc i knew it would show fingerprints and grease and it looked so clean.. the second i touched it, it was ruined.... well, not really, but thats the only part about the blackbook i dislike. just shows fingrprints a bit too much.

i got over that pretty quickly and ive been "feeling it up" all over the place. awkward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.