Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vista?

• I have tried and like it

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I have tried it and don't like it

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • I have not tried it but it looks appealing

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • I have not tried it and it doesn't look appealing

Votes: 58 36.9%
  • I hate it, I will never try it!!!

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
Well, yesterday I went in Circuit City to return a TV, and I figured I'd take Vista for a test run. I love it! I brought home a new HP laptop with Vista on it!...

...please tell me you did not believe that. It is literally the same thing as XP, just pretty, with "Gadgets.":rolleyes: OH, they did change the thing on the desktop when you right click to change the screen saver to "Preferences" instead of "Properties" too! LOL, ya, major change! It takes 4 windows to change the screensaver on Vista. One thing I did notice is that on every computer, even the really high-end models, it was slooow. Windows has always lagged in closing windows, but it is ridiculous on Vista. It took 4 seconds to close out of the 4th of the 4 windows to change the screensaver.:rolleyes: So I went on every computer in there, and put the screensaver as "Apples are best" and set a few desktops to the same thing I have as my own:
Picture4-13.png

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Personally, I don't think Vista is that bad. It's nowhere near as slow as you make out on a stock 17" iMac. It's not ready yet, though. I'm going to move back to XP when I've finished with my college work.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
No appeal because the improved stuff is back-end and nothing for home users. Plus it's slow on hardware that makes Mac OS X scream. (intel Mac mini).

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Vista may look better than previous versions of Windows, but it still feels like Windows, which is why I won't be using it.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I only used RC1 under Parallels, where there was no Aero and it was slooooow, so I don't really count that.

I think it will be the best version of *Windows* yet, but it's still playing catchup to Mac OS X. But when I have to use Windows, I think it will be much more pleasant with Vista. Think is the key word.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
Thanks for setting back the Macintosh community's maturity a good 10 or 15 years. You've made us all look fantastic.

Did you want me to put I LOVE VISTA!!! as the screensaver and put the desktop as V-ery good, I-ntriguing, S-uperb, T-errific, A-pples suck? :rolleyes: I'm sure that one incident in Harrisonburg VA will make us all look horrible. My personal rule says "I don't care what others think of me" so they can think I'm a jerk, but I don't care. Most people assume that Mac users are anyway and that's not going to change.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Did you want me to put I LOVE VISTA!!! as the screensaver and put the desktop as V-ery good, I-ntriguing, S-uperb, T-errific, A-pples suck? :rolleyes: I'm sure that one incident in Harrisonburg VA will make us all look horrible. My personal rule says "I don't care what others think of me" so they can think I'm a jerk, but I don't care. Most people assume that Mac users are anyway and that's not going to change.

You might be right there :p

I'm not moving my work systems to Vista until next year. I'll dribble Vista onto my home systems as soon as the upgrades come in. Right now I'm happy with the superior reliability (trading off worse security of course - but then I'm a sensible guy as far as spyware is concerned) of XP against Intel OS X and there's nothing I can't actually do in XP.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
There is a major preference. There are just some people that like the way Windows runs as opposed to Mac. I, on the other hand, favor the way Mac runs as opposed to Windows. That is why they make over 20 different OSs, everyone likes something different.:D :apple:

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
For web design purposes I have XP in Bootcamp. In May I'll be upgrading from a MB to a MBP but even then I probably won't be getting Vista. Like XP I think Vista will see several service pack updates before it could be reliable, so I'll wait until then.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got Vista on my iMac, and have for several months. It's not really impressive to me, and is certainly not any kind of incentive to switch to Windows. I don't plan to buy it when the beta expires. That said, it is the best version of Windows so far, but that's not saying much.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So I went on every computer in there, and put the screensaver as "Apples are best" and set a few desktops to the same thing I have as my own:

And people wonder why Mac users are though very low of and do not get any respect......

I think we have a clear cut example on why Apple is insulted and though so low of and it is because of stupid **** like this.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thanks for setting back the Macintosh community's maturity a good 10 or 15 years. You've made us all look fantastic.

Fanatics always help keep that image alive.

I seriously don't find either operating system to be above and beyond harsh criticism. It's just software so that I can run applications.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I went ot Best Buy yesterday, and saw some computers running Vista. (Of course, everyone was hogging them and making remarks about Aero.)

I didn't get the chance to try it, but I have to admit, it does look somewhat visually appealing.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I passed by the Vista release party down in Times Square and there were these people there in yellow suits with signs that said BAD VISTA. I gave the guy a thumbs up and then he gave me this speech about OpenSource Software and gave me something to use in place of my current OS. I thought about screaming MAC OS X to the people on line waiting to get in but I was too pu$$y.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My biggest problem with Vista is the lack of drivers. I have been switching back and forth between Vista and XP on my current gaming rig and have found some things lacking.

It is slower than XP since Vista is a resource hog but as long as you do a fresh install assuming you buy a factory built computer then it should perform well. Some of my favorite software does not work in Vista, strange MS makes a new firewall and suddenly my third party firewall stops functioning:rolleyes: . All of the default security settings that I have to disable. Lack of cascading programs menu in the start menu, I know you can choose classic start menu but I like the XP start menu.

However, Vista looks right purtier than XP. Can't say much more on Vista's behalf.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Thank god it's finally here. If they'd released it in 2005 I might never have built up the confidence to switch, but one can't neglect the majority of other computer users trapped in the Windows world who have been crying out for this giant bandaid for years now.

It doesn't appeal to me, not anymore, not since I fell into the open arms of OS X. I still have some pretty powerful machines, one Dell Precision in particular that just seems to loath XP, which will eventually make the transition - but I don't think I'm alone in saying I'm in absolutely no rush to embrace Vista, and that there may even be an SP1 before I do.

Not sure what Sesshi is on about WRT superior reliability of XP over OS X - I guess that's entirely subjective. I certainly don't believe from my own experience that XP is any more reliable than OS X, but then everyones usage demands, and an element of luck, are always going to expose different flaws and result in different user experiences.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It looks appealing in comparison to XP, to me. And it has some clever ideas, even in comparison to OS X. Not holistically appealing to me in comparison to OS X. But I think it'll be an upgrade in 8 years or whenever corporate / hospital IT finally roll it out and replace Win2k and XP with it.

So I put that I have not tried it, but it does look appealing, in any event.

PtMD

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
by the sea

Here is a thought, don't change the screen saver. :confused:

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I still have some pretty powerful machines, one Dell Precision in particular that just seems to loath XP

As I've said before, comparing like for like helps - a superannuated machine using the worst processor Intel released in the last 10 years doesn't help. I was on Opterons at the time that the 670 was current.

Not sure what Sesshi is on about WRT superior reliability of XP over OS X - I guess that's entirely subjective. I certainly don't believe from my own experience that XP is any more reliable than OS X, but then everyones usage demands, and an element of luck, are always going to expose different flaws and result in different user experiences.

See above. It's not about luck - it's also to a large extent about knowing what I'm doing.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i've tried it. it's nothing special. the widgets are sub-par. its what i expected and i didnt expect much.

the wallpapers provided are very similar to some of the os x ones.

the user account control feature is very annoying. one of the worst tries at trying to make vista secure. the whole screen darkens except one security window whenever you install, download, copy stuff to system folders, etc. with mac os x, there is a password window that comes up, but you can still access other stuff and the whole screen doesn't darken.

search is much faster now but still not spotlight quality.

overall, i would buy windows vista for my windows stuff, but i wouldnt splurge on ultimate edition. home basic or premium is fine for me.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Apparently there is a patch you can run on your PC to see whether vista will work on it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I checked it out because I happened to be in a computer store. It felt just like XP, but looked a little different. Thats about all I could tell. After about 3 mins I went back to playing with the Macs.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
I checked it out because I happened to be in a computer store. It felt just like XP, but looked a little different. Thats about all I could tell. After about 3 mins I went back to playing with the Macs.

That is how I felt also.

Geez guys, I'm sorry for changing a screensaver. I'll put my desktop back as the Aqua blue because it makes me look immature to not have that. :rolleyes: Maybe I shouldn't be here, I thought this was a place for enthusiasm about Macs, but I guess it's a place for stuck up ***holes. BYE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.