Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
firefox has become memory hungry and crashed at least 4 times yesterday and 3 times today.

since it happens on both of MP and MBP, it couldn't be a coincidence. could it be because of the Google Browser sync i just installed a few days ago? where can i find the crash log to see what's going on?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
PS In case it's not obvious, that is where you'll find the crash reports, post them and we can help some more...

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PS In case it's not obvious, that is where you'll find the crash reports, post them and we can help some more...

oh that's so generous of you. i've been trying to understand the log the whole evening

here's what's in the last portion in the file firefox-bin.crash.log of my MP (10.4.7)
i'll post the log of the MBP (10.4.8) when my gf gets home.

here i guess there's something to do with Quicktime, but the website i opened had no quicktime movie. (i was just checking some stock quotes on yahoo finance)

Code:
0x92dfc000 - 0x930f0fff com.apple.HIToolbox 1.4.8 (???)	/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
0x931f6000 - 0x93202fff com.apple.opengl 1.4.11	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
0x93272000 - 0x93272fff com.apple.Cocoa 6.4 (???)	/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa
0x93274000 - 0x9392afff com.apple.AppKit 6.4.8 (824.42)	/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
0x93cab000 - 0x93d24fff com.apple.CoreData 90	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData
0x93d5d000 - 0x93e15fff com.apple.audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 1.4.3	/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox
0x93e57000 - 0x93e57fff com.apple.audio.units.AudioUnit 1.4.2	/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit
0x93e59000 - 0x9402bfff com.apple.QuartzCore 1.4.9	/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
0x9407c000 - 0x940bdfff libsqlite3.0.dylib 	/usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
0x940c5000 - 0x940fffff libGLImage.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dylib
0x94288000 - 0x94297fff libCGATS.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
0x9429e000 - 0x942a9fff libCSync.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
0x942f6000 - 0x94310fff libRIP.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
0x94316000 - 0x945cffff com.apple.QuickTime 7.1.3	/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/QuickTime
0x96481000 - 0x96481fff com.apple.vecLib 3.3 (vecLib 3.3)	/System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
0x96ae7000 - 0x96aecfff com.apple.agl 2.5.9 (AGL-2.5.9)	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL
0x96e78000 - 0x96e8cfff com.apple.audio.CoreAudioKit 1.0.1	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit
0x97ddb000 - 0x988c5fff com.apple.QuickTimeComponents.component 7.1.3	/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents
0xc0000000 - 0xc000efff com.unsanity.ape 2.0.1	/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationEnhancer

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Considering that many people have complained about the Google toolbar crashing Firefox, it's not surprising that you're having trouble with another Google add-on.

Had you any problems with Firefox before that? I've heard that the Intel version for Mac OS X is a bit buggy but haven't heard too much about crashing.

The best way to find out is to go into the Tools menu->Addons and to disable the extension.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I'm one of the ones who've had nothing but problems with google toolbar on FF2.0 on the mac. I wouldn't at all be surprised to find another google product causing problems in FF on the mac.

When I first got my C2D MBP, I immediatedly installed FF2 and google toolbar. It crashed at least 10 times a day, if not much more. As soon as I removed GT, the crashes when down to about 1 every week or 2.

Also, if after you remove google browser sync, it still crashes, start removing other extensions until you find the culprit.

One of the greatest strengths and weakest links for FF are the extensions. They offer so much functionality improvements, yet also open it up to all kinds of instabilities.

dvsitch

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2007
firefox V2 crashes on clicking bookmark(s)

For clarification: I run Mac 10.3.9 & installed FF2 but could only use 1 tab before it kept crashing when I tried 2nd bookmark on 2nd tab; after which I re-installed FF1.5.01 - all this time Google toolbar remained on browser - * point is- do U suggest I delete Google toolbar & then try reinstalling FF2 ? *

Thx - DVS
----------
I'm one of the ones who've had nothing but problems with google toolbar on FF2.0 on the mac. I wouldn't at all be surprised to find another google product causing problems in FF on the mac.

When I first got my C2D MBP, I immediatedly installed FF2 and google toolbar. It crashed at least 10 times a day, if not much more. As soon as I removed GT, the crashes when down to about 1 every week or 2.

Also, if after you remove google browser sync, it still crashes, start removing other extensions until you find the culprit.

One of the greatest strengths and weakest links for FF are the extensions. They offer so much functionality improvements, yet also open it up to all kinds of instabilities.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Do you really need any of the add-ons or plug-ins?

If not, I'd suggest trying Camino instead. You get the Gecko render engine built into a Cocoa app. I find it's a bit more stable on OS X than FF at times.

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

If you don't need the FF render engine, I'd recommend switching to Safari. I use Safari 99.9% of the time and have the Inquistor plug-in installed. Perfect setup, IMO.

http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I use Safari right now also, but if you are experiencing persistent crashes, there are basically two major reasons...

1) You have a problem extension. Try getting rid of them as discussed above.

2) You have problems in your profile. Export your bookmarks and try creating a new profile (you can just close Firefox and move the ~/library/application support/firefox/ folder to another location or trash it, and then restart Firefox).

99% that if you go as far as step 2, Firefox will re-stabilize, and then you can go back in and add back your extensions one at a time. But switching from Firefox to Safari purely because you're experiencing crashes, when Firefox is stable for most people, is kind of silly....

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Looking at your crash log, I notice that Unsanity's APE was called somewhere along the line. Does disabling APE make Firefox behave any better? If it does, try updating APE (or doing without it).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
my fx 2.0.0.2 with google toolbar 3.0 beta, i didn't notice many crash in my daily usage.

rename your profile folder would be my first try.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
i found out it wasn't Google toolbar's fault. it was an error in an ad of a site that i visit often. i haven't been crashed since that ad was turned off

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
firefox has become memory hungry and crashed at least 4 times yesterday and 3 times today.

since it happens on both of MP and MBP, it couldn't be a coincidence. could it be because of the Google Browser sync i just installed a few days ago? where can i find the crash log to see what's going on?

Use Safari :)

yorkiedad

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
firefox crashed

if firefox was working prior to the install of the yahoo or google plug-in and now it crashes, removing the plug in should fix the problem. Whatever has changed since the last time firefox worked properly is the culprit. If you can restore your OS to the state it was in prior to installing the plug in, then the problem should resolve itself.:)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
stop using firefox!

Why is it necessary that, everytime someone suddenly starts having problems with a previously working application, the suggested solution from someone is to change to a completely different application? Firefox in itself is not so inherently unstable or otherwise useless that anyone should just be accepting that it will never work. I personally use Safari, but Firefox is a great app, and if it starts crashing on someone, there are solutions to the issue. It's a disservice to the platform to pretend that, whenever there's a remediable problem with an app, the answer is to switch apps completely, based on the fact that the replier (and not the originator of the issue) prefers the latter app. :rolleyes:™

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
stop using firefox!

use safari (crashes a lot too...but hey :eek: ), Opera! (good features), Camino! (apparantly very stable)

no firefox, no camino
no firefox, no free opera
no firefox, no successful safari

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I am having lots of Firefox crashes but it only crashes when I try to do Quicktime/any time of those video's actually specially at Apple's site.

LewisR

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
I find that Firefox crashes so often I can't correlate it against a sigle action. It often crashes just when I do "Quit Firefox", which I think means "Crash Firefox". It's a bit rubbish really so I end up just holding the off key down before I blow a fuse. Safari seems faster ad more robust but doesn't have the useful Tabs.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I find that Firefox crashes so often I can't correlate it against a sigle action. It often crashes just when I do "Quit Firefox", which I think means "Crash Firefox". It's a bit rubbish really so I end up just holding the off key down before I blow a fuse. Safari seems faster ad more robust but doesn't have the useful Tabs.

I'm really finding it weird Safari is having such hard time with everything. I decided to try out safari and did not like it at all so I came back to Firefox and now I have started to get crashes. Before I uninstalled it I didn't have any crashes. It started up slow, but still didn't have any crashes.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
Safari has tabs. You just have to enable them in the Preferences.

I'm a Firefox user. I keep trying Safari, and like it, but then I'll want something in a contextual menu or something equally inconsequential, and I revert to Firefox, yet again. (If for no other extension than FoxMarks.......a way to keep all bookmarks synched without a .mac account).

For heaven's sake, don't enable the feature in FFx to auto-download and install the latest updates! 2.0 was a beast until the tweaks got sorted out (the flash plugins especially were horrendous). I'm still on 2.0 on the desktop, 2.0.0.1 on the Macbook. There are extensions that I use a lot, but aren't available yet for 2.0.0.2 so I refuse to update automatically. Usually stuff updates in a couple of weeks to a month (remember, the core is good, it's the extensions or themes that often don't work, or outright conflict after an update).

That said, I'm still waiting for the fix for the contextual menu options from the tabs bar, and for the ability to hit alt/s (I know, it's the windoze shortcut) to send a message via BB.

I've been in about:config, messed around, defaulted back, and still can't get alt/s to work, or any combo thereof.

No matter. Firefox is still my browser of choice, you just gotta mess around with it and add what you want to it to make it your pwn!

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
I use Safari right now also, but if you are experiencing persistent crashes, there are basically two major reasons...

1) You have a problem extension. Try getting rid of them as discussed above.

2) You have problems in your profile. Export your bookmarks and try creating a new profile (you can just close Firefox and move the ~/library/application support/firefox/ folder to another location or trash it, and then restart Firefox).

99% that if you go as far as step 2, Firefox will re-stabilize, and then you can go back in and add back your extensions one at a time. But switching from Firefox to Safari purely because you're experiencing crashes, when Firefox is stable for most people, is kind of silly....

Just to say that no 2 worked for me! Thanks mkrishnan!
now its' just a matter of reseting all the preferences...

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Firefox

After MONTHS of Photoshop crashing I found out Firefox is making Photoshop 6 freeze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.