Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feret182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Hey, I keep most of my music on my 80gb ipod because I don't have enough room on my computer, so I'll often plug my ipod into the computer through the USB then unmount it so it can charge while I'm sort of tethered to the computer. My question is:

is this any better than using the ipod on its own?
will using the ipod while its plugged in eventually kill my battery life because it still uses battery cycles?
does using the ipod while its being charged drain the battery a little bit, then its charged a little bit, etc. etc., or is the ipod powered directly by the USB's current?

I kind of tried looking up apple support for this because it'll basically dictate how I use my ipod for the next 2+ years (hopefully!) but I couldn't find a simple email address for questions, probably because they get so many though. If anyone knows this sort of technical information or knows how to get in touch with apple about this, it would be much appreciated!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You may have already read this article, but if you haven't, it's worth a read.

To answer your question, it won't harm the iPod's battery to use it while plugged in. Once the battery is fully charged it automatically stops charging and uses the USB current.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.