Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Does the Shuffle update playcounts?

I, Mitthrawnuruodo and probably others are wondering whether the Shuffle updates the playcount.

Some people say it does, some say it doesn't. For those who actually have a Shuffle and have tried it, does the Suffle update the playcount or does it not?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
zephead
macrumors 68000

When I had a 1st gen Shuffle, it updated the play counts. It didn't make the last played time correct though; the last played would be whatever time I updated it. I imagine the 2nd gen Shuffle would update the play counts as well, though I can't say for sure.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:49 PM   #3
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
I, Mitthrawnuruodo and probably others are wondering whether the Shuffle updates the playcount.

Some people say it does, some say it doesn't. For those who actually have a Shuffle and have tried it, does the Suffle update the playcount or does it not?
I've a 512MB 1G Shuffle and it sorta updates the playcount. I found that sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. I tracked it down to whether or not I had modified the playlist before connecting the Shuffle. If I left the playlist alone, the playcount would update correctly, but if I modified the list, the playcount would not update.

Thus, I trained my self to always plug the Shuffle in update the playcount. Then I would unplug the Shuffle. Modify the playlist. Then plug the Shuffle back in.

ft
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:13 AM   #4
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
I've a 512MB 1G Shuffle and it sorta updates the playcount. I found that sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. I tracked it down to whether or not I had modified the playlist before connecting the Shuffle. If I left the playlist alone, the playcount would update correctly, but if I modified the list, the playcount would not update.

Thus, I trained my self to always plug the Shuffle in update the playcount. Then I would unplug the Shuffle. Modify the playlist. Then plug the Shuffle back in.

ft
Ah, good to know, thank you. Do you know whether it also happens when you fill it randomly?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:47 AM   #5
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Ah, good to know, thank you. Do you know whether it also happens when you fill it randomly?
I think so. If the playlist gets changed before plugging in the Shuffle, it never updated the playcount. I haven't really checked in a long time, so I don't know if an update took care of that.

ft
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
I think so. If the playlist gets changed before plugging in the Shuffle, it never updated the playcount. I haven't really checked in a long time, so I don't know if an update took care of that.

ft
Just to make sure I undestand that correctly, whenever you change the list of songs that is on the iPod or whenever a song changes (playcount, rating, etc.) that happens to be on the Shuffle?

So if I leave the source list alone (Shuffle) then I am fine?

I guess I'll check it out, it is just gonna be for workouts anyway. Still I'd like the updated playcounts, would be nice.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:07 AM   #7
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Just to make sure I undestand that correctly, whenever you change the list of songs that is on the iPod or whenever a song changes (playcount, rating, etc.) that happens to be on the Shuffle?

So if I leave the source list alone (Shuffle) then I am fine?

I guess I'll check it out, it is just gonna be for workouts anyway. Still I'd like the updated playcounts, would be nice.
Sorry for the ambiguity.

By Playlist, I mean the iPod Shuffle Source List (I had forgotten the official name). So to break it down starting with a blank Shuffle. I have iTunes set to keep "Frank's iPod Shuffle" on iTuens when not plugged in.

1. I plug in the Shuffle and the add songs.

2. I unplug it and listen to music on the Shuffle.

3. I plug it back in and playcounts are updated.

If I change the source list around in between steps 2 and 3, the playcount doesn't update. And by changing, I mean rearranging, resorting, or replacing any songs in the source list. Playing a song that's also in my source list with iTunes does not affect the Shuffle playcount updating.

I hope that clears it up a little more.

ft
Old Feb 2, 2007, 04:09 AM   #8
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Sorry for the ambiguity.

By Playlist, I mean the iPod Shuffle Source List (I had forgotten the official name). So to break it down starting with a blank Shuffle. I have iTunes set to keep "Frank's iPod Shuffle" on iTuens when not plugged in.

1. I plug in the Shuffle and the add songs.

2. I unplug it and listen to music on the Shuffle.

3. I plug it back in and playcounts are updated.

If I change the source list around in between steps 2 and 3, the playcount doesn't update. And by changing, I mean rearranging, resorting, or replacing any songs in the source list. Playing a song that's also in my source list with iTunes does not affect the Shuffle playcount updating.

I hope that clears it up a little more.

ft

Yeah it does. Thanks a lot.

This isn't too bad, just requires some discipline about not changing before plugging in. Thanks again for the explanation.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod