Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
furcalchick
macrumors 68020

how to declutter your desktop

ever since getting my macbook, i have tried to reduce clutter on my desktop, but haven't found a button that would do this automatically for me like i would in windows that would arrange my ducks in a row. is there a button for this in mac os x or do i have to do this all manually?

thanks.
furcalchick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcalchick View Post
ever since getting my macbook, i have tried to reduce clutter on my desktop, but haven't found a button that would do this automatically for me like i would in windows that would arrange my ducks in a row. is there a button for this in mac os x or do i have to do this all manually?

thanks.
Right click on a blank area on your desktop...show view options...arrange icons by (name/date etc)
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Cmd + J Brings up the Show View options or something to that effect.

Lets you pick how the icons are arranged.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:51 PM   #4
furcalchick
macrumors 68020

got it.

thanks. i'm just getting used to things...another shortcut found.
furcalchick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:08 AM   #5
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

One of the reasons OS-X resisted the Right-Click for so long is that allows things to be hidden that should be easily visible. On Macs everything should be in a Menu and you should be able to learn a lot by looking at the Menus. The options in the View Menu (Clean Up, Arrange By..., View Options) are there to be seen. The keyboard shortcuts are listed beside them). Try Finder > Help > Mac Help and type "shortcuts" and you will learn a lot. I am not criticizing you, just trying to help you get into the Mac way of thinking.

As an alternative: don't keep everything on your desktop. Put your documents in the Documents folder, applications in Applications. Make subfolders if you need to further organize your work. Now pull everything off your Dock you don't use everyday. Drag your Application and Documents folders to the Dock. Now it is easy to see what's running, switch or quit applications and get to all your stuff (try clicking and holding on a folder to see everything inside).

Of course, some people like to keep everything on their desktop. If that is you, it is okay. I just wanted to suggest alternatives. Best wishes.
emptyCup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help