Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret claims that Safari will be hitting Gold Master (GM) in the next month.

Apple's Safari web browser will reach the final "gold master" stage next month, sources say. The company's target to declare Safari gold master (GM) is reportedly near the middle of June, in the weeks before the Worldwide Developers Conference.

ThinkSecret also describes the most recent seed - v78, and reports Panther will gain some Safari integration.

mads

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2002
I just hope they make it so secure that my bank will allow me to use it.

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Bye Bye Explorer....

The news/rumors lately on these Apple products have been very exciting.
I love Safari. Since the last major update, I haven't used Explorer.
Explorer always crashes on me anyway.....

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Originally posted by Jeff Harrell
:rolleyes: For instance?

Well...

When you are uploading multiple documents, instead of taking you back to the folder you're uploading from it defaults back to the desktop. This is SO frustrating.

Some HTML codes involving layers of scrolling text still don't work in Safari.

When logged in as an admin for a board I work on, I keep having to re-enter passwords to do anything because my session "times out".. I end up having to do it in Mozilla.

Time-outs when trying to upload big files.

A few sites (such as my college's email website) don't let me use Safari, because they say they only accept IE and Netscape. Is there no way Safari can "trick" sites into thinking it is IE or Netscape?

If they can fix these minor glitches I'll be happy. Don't get me wrong.. I love Safari and will delete IE for good when it is done in a ritualistic fashion. I use Safari 95% of the time (with the metal look disabled) ;)

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Originally posted by Mineral

A few sites (such as my college's email website) don't let me use Safari, because they say they only accept IE and Netscape. Is there no way Safari can "trick" sites into thinking it is IE or Netscape?

Yes, there is . Works like a charm, too. Just choose "User Agent" under the Debug menu, even gives you Windoze IE 6.0 as an option. Works around sites who's developers are too lazy to write a real browser detection script.

Dave_B

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
UK
:rolleyes: For instance?

It seems to have a problem with frames and sundry smaller html rendering issues which I'm sure we've all come across and reported to apple.

He's not saying Safari isn't a nice browser just that, as is, its a beta.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I use Safari 95% of the time (with the metal look disabled) ;)

HOW! HOW! HOW!
Stop toying with me and please tell me how to disable the metal. I HATE it. god so i hate it.

If you tell me, Ill dance at your wedding.<-- What movie?

Thanks

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Re: Off the subject.......

Originally posted by Sonofhaig
The "G" in GOD should be capitalized. (It's a sign of respect)
Otherwise, (My opinion) don't use the word....

Some cultures say you shouldn't spell out "GOD"... its a sign of respect (G-D)... so otherwise don't use it...

jeez, its a bulletin board, take it EZ man.

I'm slightly fearful of browser integration with OS 10.3... but it can be pretty cool if its done right.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Re: Off the subject.......

Originally posted by Sonofhaig
The "G" in GOD should be capitalized. (It's a sign of respect)
Otherwise, (My opinion) don't use the word....

depends whether he was referring to God or if he was just referring to a god.

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
When you are uploading multiple documents, instead of taking you back to the folder you're uploading from it defaults back to the desktop. This is SO frustrating.
Check out the "From:" popup menu. See that down there at the bottom? "Recent Places." You'll find the last folder you used in that list.

Some HTML codes involving layers of scrolling text still don't work in Safari.
Sure. Every browser falls down on some combination of HTML or other. That's the nature of the beast. HTML is designed to be a "fail gracefully" scheme, such that a parser that doesn't recognize a combination of markup will simply try to render it as best it can anyway. Because there are no hard-and-fast rules for what must and what musn't work, you can break a browser's renderer with bad HTML.

The question is whether Safari's failures are significant or not. Everybody's entitled to an opinion on this, of course, but we all have to agree that they're getting less and less significant every day.

When logged in as an admin for a board I work on, I keep having to re-enter passwords to do anything because my session "times out".. I end up having to do it in Mozilla.
Sounds like a problem with the site to me. Session handling is all done at the server end. The only thing the browser does is send the right cookie at the right time.

Time-outs when trying to upload big files.
Okay, I'll give you that one. Certain operations should be cancellable but should never time out.

A few sites (such as my college's email website) don't let me use Safari, because they say they only accept IE and Netscape.
Which has, of course, nothing whatsoever to do with Safari.

If they can fix these minor glitches I'll be happy.
It sounds to me like there's one minor glitch: timeouts. You should be happy already.

senjaz

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2002
I don't see how it could be nearly ready.

There's still so many things it doesn't do right.

Given that anyone can check out Dave Hyatt's 'blog to see how Safari is progressing Think Secret's report is totally feasible.

Right now you can comment on what you want implemented next - all of them advanced stuff that really isn't supported well in any browser with the exception of XLST.

http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Check out the "From:" popup menu. See that down there at the bottom? "Recent Places." You'll find the last folder you used in that list.

Down there at the bottom of what? Why doesn't it default to the last folder I used like.. dare I say.. IE? My point is, it takes me 5 times as long to upload stuff from Safari because I have to dig through all my folders every single time I choose a file. :mad:

Sounds like a problem with the site to me. Session handling is all done at the server end. The only thing the browser does is send the right cookie at the right time.

Uh.. then why does it work with every other browser on my Mac? :confused: :mad:

It sounds to me like there's one minor glitch: timeouts. You should be happy already.

:rolleyes: I guess you can't read. I love Safari.

E

evilfunkgenius

Originally posted by Bozola
The real question is...

Will it cost money?

I think the question is more acurately, when will it start costing money and how much will it cost?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I don't see how it could be nearly ready.

Because Apple's timeline was to finish all developments on Panther by the end of May, then work on optimising it for until it goes GM. Safari is a part of Panther, therefore Safari hits GM at the same time as iChat 2, Mail 2 etc etc

Originally posted by celaurie
Wow, this latest seed is certainly difficult to pin down...

IF you find it, you jeapordise the new "micro seeding" program Apple has kindly brought back. This seeding program speeds up development time and brings ALL OF US a better browser, faster. Please consider this.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.