Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
newmacuser13
macrumors member

Need more than 3 wired ethernet on new Airport Express

The new airport express has only 3 wired ethernet connections. I was going to get one, but I already have four wired devices (mac mini, NAS, Networked laserprinter, and another computer). Can I attach a simple linksys switch to one of the ethernet jacks to increase my available number of connections?
newmacuser13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
mowogg
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mowogg
Airport to Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmacuser13 View Post
The new airport express has only 3 wired ethernet connections. I was going to get one, but I already have four wired devices (mac mini, NAS, Networked laserprinter, and another computer). Can I attach a simple linksys switch to one of the ethernet jacks to increase my available number of connections?
Shouldn't be a problem. I have an Airport Extreme basestation (round) and I have it hooked up to a 4-port hub. Everything works perfectly.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yup. I got a Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch for my Mac Pro and a networked RAID array, so I can get extra speed, without having to replace my Linksys. But it looks like I might replace the Linksys with the 802.11n Apple router, and just leave the gigabit switch in place.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
logandzwon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You could get rid of the NAS since the new AE can do that functionality itself, and/or if the networked laser printer has USB, plug that into the new AE and let it handle the sharing.
logandzwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:41 AM   #5
SMM
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post
Yup. I got a Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch for my Mac Pro and a networked RAID array, so I can get extra speed, without having to replace my Linksys. But it looks like I might replace the Linksys with the 802.11n Apple router, and just leave the gigabit switch in place.
So, where are you getting your DHCP services from?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 02:46 PM   #6
dukeman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
So, where are you getting your DHCP services from?
As long as the Nas and Mac are set to static IP's the switch has no need to pass the data from the nas to the router to the system, it will just go from the nas to they system at "1gb speed". The only stuff hitting the router will be web requests and such from the mac, and once they hit your cable or dsl modem they will only be going <10mb anyway.
dukeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals