Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I want to create a rounded-corner triangle in Illustrator with dimensions of approximately 100-40-40 (degrees). I've tried a few different approaches, but nothing has panned out so far. How should I do it?

benscoot

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Creating Triangles with rounded corners but keep inside angles sharp

Create your triangle first, with the right dimensions, and then go to Effect>Stylize>Round Corners. Easy as pie.

This method is great if you want the inner and outer angles all rounded. But if you want only the points of the triangle rounded, then you'll need to do this:

1. Make a normal star and make a copy of it just to the side of it.
2. With the new copy, apply the 'round corners' effect as described above.
3. Align the two stars (both the rounded and original triangle).
4. Carefully Select the star with rounded corner effect and Choose Object > Expand Appearance.
5. Select both stars (make sure that original triangle is on top) and use the 'Crop' Tool in the pathfinder. It will correct the inside angles, and then all you need to do is carefully select the pointy tips and easily delete them.

This will leave you with rounded tips and keep the sharp angles inside.

You can alter the softness of the tips by using a different corner radius in the "round corners" dialog.

Then

A

autacraft

This method is great if you want the inner and outer angles all rounded. But if you want only the points of the triangle rounded, then you'll need to do this:

Erm, WHATTTTT?????? That makes no sense.

JawOfTheDog

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Creating Rounded Triangles In Illustrator Using Line Tool

Use the Line Tool to draw a triangle (make sure you snap to anchor).

Use the Black Arrow to Select the whole triangle.

Object > Path > Join (to make the three lines into a one path)

Effect > Stylize > Round Corners, make sure you hit preview and use a radius that is large enough to be seen (1/10 of the line length say).

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2006
Erm, WHATTTTT?????? That makes no sense.

I had to re-read his post several times to figure out what he was talking about, but... I think he meant this.

Rounded tips on the outside, with a normal triangle on the inside. Strange, I know.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,147

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Triangle...

I would draw the triangle, then do Object>Path>Offset Path, then choose amount to offset by, say 4mm, and choose rounded bevel instead of mitre.

Cheers,

Ray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.