Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Does Apple still do flat-rate repairs on their computers? I have a client with a 1ghz TiBook DVI, which I'm pretty sure needs a new logic board and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what Apple charges for this fix.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
There is no such thing.

We don't have flat rate health care where you can get a heart bypass and a diagnosis for common cold for the same budget friendly fee of $20, why should this be the case for high quality Apple services?

That logic board replacement is going to cost you.... try places like ifixit and DIY.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I am not too sure, but didn't Apple do those "tier" type repairs in the past?
Like Tier 1 is a flat rate for something, while Tier 4 is more expensive, but it covers more components? I could have sworn they said something like that before, but I cannot remember

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I appreciate the patronizing tone, but I'm pretty sure Apple has done something like this in the past. I'm not talking about $20. I already checked with ifixit and their replacement board is $500.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I appreciate the patronizing tone, but I'm pretty sure Apple has done something like this in the past. I'm not talking about $20. I already checked with ifixit and their replacement board is $500.

Apple is a business.

There can only be 2 possible explanations for how such an offering can be justified.

1) Apple charges an extremely high "flat fee" for fixing any computer. Kinda a moot point when the cost to service both a Magsafe adapter and a logic board both costs $1999 eh?

2) Apple loses money on such a service *gasp*

Please explain how such an offering makes sense?

We often see users who sent their machines in to Apple to get quotes for logic boards and they get figures like $1000+, I really don't think Apple would blow up those hefty service fees/motivation for users to buy a new Mac instead for the sake of being nice and providing a "flat fee" Apple service centre that is covered by MediAid.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Apple is a business.

The patronizing tone is getting old. I am actually aware that Apple is a business and believe it or not, some business charge flat rates for certain kinds of repairs. I am almost certain Apple has done this in the past, which is why I am asking if they still do.

1) Apple charges an extremely high "flat fee" for fixing any computer. Kinda a moot point when the cost to service both a Magsafe adapter and a logic board both costs $1999 eh?

You are just being presumptive and obtuse. It is possible to charge flat rates at different tiers. It is also possible that you are grouchy and taking your personal frustrations out on others.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Just because I too think you're being snide and unnecessarily rude:

That wouldn't be the cost for either, or really any repair, and a high price doesn't render the service (or the point) moot.

Losing money on a repair service makes perfect sense in the business world, and many companies do this simply to maintain customer loyalty. Apple has done many, MANY things to maintain customer loyalty (speaking as an Apple customer of close to 20 years now) that make flat rate repairs seem somewhat tame.

But as to how it makes sense, it averages out eventually. Taking this as an example (and plucking the numbers and services out of thin air, of course), if you have a flat rate repair service, you are likely going to charge slightly above what the majority of repair issues would cost. So you get requests to, say, replace RAM sticks, a service which let's say actually costs in labour around $10, and you would likely charge in a fluctuating system, say, $50. So you set your flat fee at $75 or $100. The majority of requests are going to come from people who would happily pay someone else to handle their tech, and the major issues, which would likely cost a couple hundred dollars to the company, are fewer and farther between. So you balance out your loss, possibly lose a little or break even, but you end up with tons of happy customers.

All of that said, I haven't heard of this service being offered by Apple.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
Apple is a business.

There can only be 2 possible explanations for how such an offering can be justified.

We often see users who sent their machines in to Apple to get quotes for logic boards and they get figures like $1000+, I really don't think Apple would blow up those hefty service fees/motivation for users to buy a new Mac instead for the sake of being nice and providing a "flat fee" Apple service centre that is covered by MediAid.

You should be nicer, karma is a b**ch. The guy was asking a serious question. He doesn't need your excessively snide remarks. How about you just stop posting if you don't have anything nice or productive to say.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple repairs are generally never cheap, unless you find the part on eBay -- or someone is parting out a machine.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
From what I've seen on my previous Genius Bar reciepts, Apple does have flat-rate repair. According to one reciept, it costs $280 for a Powerbook (but thank god I had Applecare which made my cost $0). I'm not sure if it depends on any other specs.

ameridebi

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
I just came back from the Apple Store, and yes, Apple does have a flat rate repair service. I will tell you exactly how they make it cost effective. They tell you you need a new logic board and that you will save money by going for the $280 flat rate repair service, and then replace the heatsink. I feel totally duped, but I haven't read any other accounts online of others being swindled like that. I might write a letter to Apple.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Forgot about this thread - thanks for the confirmation, ameridebi!

Side note... can't help but laugh when I look back at the content of this thread and see iW00t's status!

benjamingrantdu

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
iwoot.. what a complete moron. Yes, it is a business. How do you think flat-rate anything works? Approximatley half the time you over charge and half you under charge. You model the cost of repairs and pick a price slightly above average so you profit. THATS HOW FLAT RATE SHIPPING WORKS. Wow, you are simultaneously pompous, condescending, and dead wrong. Congratulations!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
iW00T was banned almost two years ago. Some old threads occasionally get resurrected around here, ... always good to take note of the date of what you're replying to.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the flat rate repairs are available only in the US or is it worldwide? I asked in my local Apple Retail Store about repairing an Apple TV. Their answer was 'bring it to a genius appointment' - but I wanted to know in advance if there was a flat-rate repair available. They told me there wasn't. Perhaps it's just that they don't offer it for the Apple TV but do for the Mac, or perhaps the flat-rate repairs aren't available worldwide? (I'm in the UK).

breaddome

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Apple flat Rate

yes, Apple does do Flat Rate repairs.
my logic board just went out on 17" macbook pro, and rather than pay the 600-1000 repair of logic board replacement and leaving my laptop with apple for 3 days, i am letting them send it away for $330, and they are doing flat rate repair on EVERYTHING that needs attention with machine.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Does Apple still do flat-rate repairs on their computers? I have a client with a 1ghz TiBook DVI, which I'm pretty sure needs a new logic board and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what Apple charges for this fix.

According to the below link Apple would not perform a repair on that old Powerbook as it would be considered a vintage product, except in California. If they will replace the board that would be interesting to know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This thread is almost as vintage as that TiBook was when I started it! :D

I didn't even notice that this was a resurrected thread. I wonder if apple still does the flat rate? I never hear about it just threads where Apple wants $1000+ to repair an old Mac worth less than $500.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I didn't even notice that this was a resurrected thread. I wonder if apple still does the flat rate? I never hear about it just threads where Apple wants $1000+ to repair an old Mac worth less than $500.

They do still do flat-rate repairs for out-of-warranty machines or ones where they have accidental damage. I think prices range from about $329 (the low end for a machine that's simply out of warranty and not damaged) up to over $1200, for a laptop with a broken screen or a major spill. Of course, you'd have to get the actual rates from Apple or a repair center, but that's the range I'm familiar with.

jW

iuzila

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
took my early 2008 macbook pro out-of-warranty laptop in to the apple store today for repairs. my mac would not boot (had a solid LED light in the front), black screen, didn't work when the employee tried to run the self test. this was the charges i got for the flat rate:

flat rate repair charge: 210
labor: 100

310 + tax = ~ $331.

on the proposed resolution, the employee put "replace logic board." is there a connection between logic board and the nvidia graphics processor? because if it ends up being nvidia's issue, i can get a refund, correct?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
took my early 2008 macbook pro out-of-warranty laptop in to the apple store today for repairs. my mac would not boot (had a solid LED light in the front), black screen, didn't work when the employee tried to run the self test. this was the charges i got for the flat rate:

flat rate repair charge: 210
labor: 100

310 + tax = ~ $331.

on the proposed resolution, the employee put "replace logic board." is there a connection between logic board and the nvidia graphics processor? because if it ends up being nvidia's issue, i can get a refund, correct?

If it won't run the test, they will probably charge you, because it's not the NVIDIA issue (alone). However, if they decide that it's the NVIDIA issue, they'd refund the money (assuming you paid up front).

jW

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
They do still do flat-rate repairs for out-of-warranty machines or ones where they have accidental damage. I think prices range from about $329 (the low end for a machine that's simply out of warranty and not damaged) up to over $1200, for a laptop with a broken screen or a major spill. Of course, you'd have to get the actual rates from Apple or a repair center, but that's the range I'm familiar with.

jW

That sounds more like charging based on the repair rather than a flat rate.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That sounds more like charging based on the repair rather than a flat rate.

It's not quite "flat rate" in the sense of only one price for any problem, but neither is it charging based on the actual components replaced. It's tiered pricing, basically 4 flat rates, depending on the problem. So Tier I will cover any problem that would normally be covered under warranty, but applies to a machine out of warranty. Tier IV covers accidental damage affecting a major component, like a logic board, display, etc. The two in between are for other levels, though I don't remember the exact distinctions.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.