Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Becoming an Apple Developer for $500 lets me buy a 17" MBP for $2239 instead of $2799. A refurbed 17" MBP is $2299.

An educational MBP is $2599. Since I'm not keen on getting a refurbed mac, and I'm not a student, to get a 17" MBP at a $60 discount I'll probably sign up for the Dev program.

Rumor is that developers get Leopard and Leopard Server free when they are final. Does anyone know if that is true? That increases the savings.

Does anyone know if developers get other free software like final cut or iWork or anything like that?

I could really use some advice here. I don't have a desperate need to get it right now, either. Should I wait till March or April till Leopard comes out anyway? Will there be updated MBPs soon?

My current mac is 6 years old (Dual G4 533). (I am also replacing a slowly failing windows laptop as well.) I am wanting a new notebook badly.

I'm considering getting the 15" instead. Is the 17" unwieldy? I won't be taking it out much and I use my current laptop in the living room almost exclusively and would probably continue to use my new one that way as well.

Thanks everyone for you help!

Ben

Pr0jkt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
san fran, ca
I personally think the core 2 duo's that are out now are awesome and for everyday use they are more then powerful at least for me... i use mine for internet, chatting, music, isighting and watching movies.....i couldn't be more pleased with my purchase...i reccomend getting one if u got the money to spend!

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I think you will be ok if you just use it on the couch but even then the dimensions are just so big my 15" im on right now is having trouble fitting in the chair im sitting in but it's all about prefrence if screen size outweighs the dimensions then get it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
heck, my CD runs faster than any computer i've ever owned. the C2Ds are even better. you won't be disappointed if you buy now.

i personally think the 17" notebooks are too big to use as a notebook. 15" is the maximum screen size i'd get for a notebook.

i've heard but i've not confirmed that developers get free software. i'm not sure to what extent or after how long. i've heard you have to be signed up for a year before you get the free software, but again this is not confirmed.

AuricBlue said:
to get a 17" MBP at a $60 discount

i presume you meant a $600 discount.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
i presume you meant a $600 discount.

Well 2239+500 = 2739

Apple Retail is 2799

2799-2739 = 60 :)

I would have to still pay $500 for the Select developer membership.

If Leopard Final were included in the dev membership that's another $120 I don't have to spend down the road. You do get the betas of Leopard, but I want the final one when it's out.

Thanks for the advice!

Ben

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Yes, you should get leopard. I am a student developer, and in the past even students got new OS releases free. I am 99% sure you will get Leopard when it is out. However, you won't get final cut...that was very wishful thinking! The MBP's were updated towards the end of October 2006, so they won't get updated till at least end of April. But, it will most likely be longer, maybe June or so? What kind of things will you be using it for? The ones now are pretty nice. I don't have one, trying to decide either MBP or Mac Pro, and waiting for revisions.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
heck, my CD runs faster than any computer i've ever owned. the C2Ds are even better. you won't be disappointed if you buy now.

i personally think the 17" notebooks are too big to use as a notebook. 15" is the maximum screen size i'd get for a notebook.

I agree 100%. While I'd love to get a 17" MBP, it wouldn't be practical. When I attend school I travel on the train alot, and having that monster on my lap would be tedious and annoying. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like the awesome real estate (1680 x 1050 is teh rox0rz), but that would really limit my portability with it. I take my current, partially dead (dead DVD-ROM) iBook G3/600 MHz (April 2001 model, xmas 2001 gift) with me almost everywhere. It's my travel companion, as is my iPod mini.

Pianoman, how fast a Core Duo you got?

I plan on getting a 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro as soon as I can raise the remaining $867.36. I'm posting this from my 2001 model Dell (no I didn't purchase it. It was a hand-me-down). My iBook is torrenting. ^_^ Plus, this machine has a seductive 19" monitor I run at 1280 x 1024. You get used to it quick, but when you stare at a screen that's at 1024 x 768 and then come back to this higher res, your eyes really get strained. That happened to me over the summer when I went to France and when I came back to this res I was like WHOA~

Anywho...........

AuricBlue, I suggest you get the 15". Even though you only use laptops to use within your house/apartment, having a 15" vs. 17" would really allow you to travel with it easier should you decide to.

Drewswa77

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2004
Boise, ID
My C2D 15" Mac Book Pro is by far the best computer I have ever owned. It replaced and outperforms a Dual 2ghz G5 with 3gb ram.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 52

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Amazon's Extended Warranty

Has anyone used Amazon's Extended Warranty plan instead of AppleCare? It's $279 instead of $349 and they will replace it if there are any stuck pixels (I just called the Warranty company to verify.) There's only 1 review of the warranty on Amazon.com and it was a guy who cancelled his laptop order but was still charged for the warranty.

Has anyone gotten this, or know anyone who has?

Being able to replace the system if it has any stuck or dead pixels sounds nice.

Apple has a minimum requirement before they'll replace the screen.

Thanks,

Ben

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Becoming an Apple Developer for $500 lets me buy a 17" MBP for $2239 instead of $2799. A refurbed 17" MBP is $2299.

An educational MBP is $2599. Since I'm not keen on getting a refurbed mac, and I'm not a student, to get a 17" MBP at a $60 discount I'll probably sign up for the Dev program.

Rumor is that developers get Leopard and Leopard Server free when they are final. Does anyone know if that is true? That increases the savings.

Does anyone know if developers get other free software like final cut or iWork or anything like that?

I could really use some advice here. I don't have a desperate need to get it right now, either. Should I wait till March or April till Leopard comes out anyway? Will there be updated MBPs soon?

My current mac is 6 years old (Dual G4 533). (I am also replacing a slowly failing windows laptop as well.) I am wanting a new notebook badly.

I'm considering getting the 15" instead. Is the 17" unwieldy? I won't be taking it out much and I use my current laptop in the living room almost exclusively and would probably continue to use my new one that way as well.

Thanks everyone for you help!

Ben

I have signed up for the Student Developer program in the past. Everytime I got a copy of the current OS and new OS when it came out. I never got the server version, though I did purchase one at a significant discount.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
I know you're not keen on a refurb, but I don't see what you have to lose. Will save $500 and if the machine is not up to your standards just send it back.

I've never been a refurb person myself, but a week ago ordered a C2D 15", had it overnighted, and it has been perfect both cosmetically and functionally. Worth a shot.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Are all the noise/screen/heat issues fixed now?

I've never been a refurb person myself, but a week ago ordered a C2D 15", had it overnighted, and it has been perfect both cosmetically and functionally. Worth a shot.

From what I can tell the C2D macbook pros have had the buzz and other noise problems fixed, right? Do they still get super hot?

What's the deal with reports of spots on the screens? Are those fixed with the latest MBPs?

I'm guessing that your MBP doesn't have any of these issues or the infamous "buldge" above the latch or dvd slot, right typerlover?

Ben

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
I would go with the 15", the 17" is a bit big. You should see an INCREDIBLE difference coming from a G4 dual 533. When you get it, enjoy ;)

dreamfocused

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Toronto
I have a 17" and it's fine where portability is concerned... just get a good bag for it... it's not that much bigger than the 15"... and you aren't really saving that much if you join as an Apple Dev. though the perks are great.

Wooster

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
I am more than happy with my 17" MBP CD2. I routinely work with it on my lap, I think due to its larger size it dissipates heat better than 15". I had a 15" C2D for a while but gave it up as I needed tons of desktop area to work with several applications at the same time, while travelling. The width of the 17" is also really helps if you read a lot of PDFs.

Whyapple

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
Had my 17"MBP since Dec, am truly loving the experience!

If you are reasonably fit, it shouldn't hurt you much to carry it around in a good bag, I couldn't have made do with the 15" personally - I love the extra real estate!:)

Also, I think it works just great on your lap or on a table.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
The 15" vs. 17" debate is entirely dependent on your uses of the machine. If you're doing a lot of stuff where a big screen will be helpful (ie photo or video editing, audio recording, etc.) and you won't be carrying it around much then the 17" might be worth it. However, if you really don't need the portability that much you could just get a 20" or even 24" iMac for considerably cheaper, and it's a roughly equivalent computer. I've got a 15" PB and it's a fine size for me. I move it around some, but not all the time. Just decide based on how you'll be using it, and enjoy it once you get it.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
From what I can tell the C2D macbook pros have had the buzz and other noise problems fixed, right? Do they still get super hot?

What's the deal with reports of spots on the screens? Are those fixed with the latest MBPs?

I'm guessing that your MBP doesn't have any of these issues or the infamous "buldge" above the latch or dvd slot, right typerlover?

Ben

I purchased a new 15" MBP a couple of weeks ago, and it's been as resilliant as my old Powerbook (and that's saying A LOT). Runs cool enough to use on a lap, generally it's just warm to the touch at worst. No issues with the screen, no bulges, nothing! I thought I couldn't be more satisfied with Macbook that I bought last year... I was wrong. This machine is incredible. You won't regret it. (That is, of course, unless apple releases rev. c next week ;-))

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I don't think the 17" is unwieldy. If it wasn't widescreen, it would really be 15". So in that sense 15" is almost too small for my taste.

It is remarkably light and thin nonetheless. Though I wish they'd shave off that extra thickness added to the display with the isight now built in.

-=|Mgkwho

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
New MBP

Wow everyone! Thanks for the great input. I went down to the Apple Store to check out the different MacBook Pros. I think I'm gonna go with the 17" model.

My current laptop that I'll be replacing is bigger in every dimension except width. It's even heavier than the 17" MBP. I'm about 6' 2" so I'm not to worried about the extra size vs. the 15" model. Also, since I'll be replacing my tower mac with the MBP as well, the extra screen real estate will be handy.

Now I just have to wait for a snafu with a check that was sent to my old address to clear up and I'll be all set.

I think I'll just get it at the Apple Store and forgo the developer program all together. My wife is a student so she qualifies for the discount. With the $200 off Final Cut Express with new macs, the free printer, and the .Mac discount, we'll be saving extra money too on items I wanted to get anyway.

Thanks again! I'll let you all know when I get it. It might be a couple of weeks still, but we'll see!

Ben

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Matte or Glossy

...Now I just have to wait for a snafu with a check that was sent to my old address to clear up and I'll be all set....

I just checked my account and the money went in.

So... I plan on getting it today during lunch. One last thing though. Matte or Glossy screen? I thought the glossy screen looked good on the MacBooks but they didn't have a MB Pro on display with the glossy screen. I would mostly use it med-low light and have never used a laptop outside. (In a car, yes.)

Opinions? Please advise! Oh, if they don't carry glossies in stock, it'll just be a matte anyway, but I thought I'd ask.

It feels like Christmas, somehow...

Ben

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
I just received my 17" mbp last night. I was shocked at how much smaller it was then I had heard about. It's a perfect size for me. I do not think its hard to carry around or is a lot larger than a 15". I'd get the 17" for the screen size. I adore my new MBP!! :D :apple:

Edit: I have a matte screen - I adore it. The glossy had too much glare for me.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
It's here!

Well I've been using this MacBook Pro since 1 p.m. Pacific Standard Time and I have to say I'm impressed. It seems rather speedy in comparison to y 6 year old PowerMac G4 Dual 533 Digital Audio model. The progress is slow as I've spent most of the afternoon installing software off of slow CDs and DVDs.

I love the extra graphics goodies the Quartz Extreme CoreImage capable graphics card affords. On my old PC laptop (Mobile Athlon 4, 1.2 GHz 384 MiB RAM 30 GiB HD) and my Mac (Dual G4 533 MHz, 1 GiB RAM, 120 + 30 GiB HDs) QuickTime movies could often be sluggish and HD was bad or unplayable.

What a different 6 years make!

Still have a lot left to install, Parallels, WoW for Mac, maybe Boot Camp, Photoshop Elements (gonna get CS3 when it comes out, hopefully). Anyway... the matte screen is fine, no dead or stuck pixels. It doesn't seem to make any strange noises. It doesn't seem to have any bulges or battery deformations. It gets rather warm but not burning hot.

It is Christmas!

Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.